Any experience with the American School in London's admissions process??

(48 Posts)
JugglingFour Wed 20-Feb-13 12:23:24

I've been waiting tooth and nail to find out whether my kids have been accepted (or not) to ASL. Does anyone have any experience with the school and when parents are generally notified? My kids' applications were completed by the deadline of February 1st and I've been told "end of February" (today is February 20th). One of my kids was accepted to another school (ASL knows and I've asked for an extension to accept or decline and that school made a concession to do so) and the other three will be tested at the same school next week, but this means heading to London from Italy for the tests and interviews, which I would cancel if the kids get accepted to ASL.

I've had great exchanges with ASL, but now that it's crunch time, I've heard nothing in a while. The other school where the kids are applying has been wonderful and very accommodating (and has a strong sibling policy), which is also making me feel incredibly guilty that I'm putting them off as I await news...

Mackaness Tue 04-Mar-14 22:35:45

My 7th grader was just wait pooled at ASL. Can anyone suggest an alternative school in addition to Southbank. I would be eternally grateful since we move from California to Central London in June. I am getting a bit worried.

pandith Sat 01-Mar-14 07:05:45

Hi tryingtogetin2,

Yes my son got into grade 5 too, we should get them connected. Are you moving in the fall or are you already in london?

will be nice for the boys to be in touch

tryingtogetin2 Fri 28-Feb-14 14:38:47

Received good news on Wednesday that both my children were accepted! I have a 2nd grade girl and 5th grade boy entering in the Fall. Anyone else have kids the same grades??

Thank goodness for this site! It's been a very difficult wait. See you all this Fall!

UKschoolsearch Thu 27-Feb-14 21:43:27

Hi gang- I have been on the sidelines of your blog. Congratulations to all of you who got in. My child just got waitlisted at ASL via email. I am very bummmed- but need to put in place a Plan B. Does anyone have any info on Southbank? I have a middle schooler and we want to live in the city. It seems like Southbank is a good alternative. Is it also hard to get admittance? Any other ideas? Moving has it's own stress- but the most important piece is this one, and I can't seem to dig up much info. Thanks, in advance, for any thoughts!

pandith Thu 27-Feb-14 08:30:32

The wait is finally over, DC has been accepted at ASL.
Such a weight lifted off my shoulder.. All the best,
Hope u hear good news at the earliest.

Dxbtolondon Thu 27-Feb-14 04:35:49

Hi padith. ACS Cobham is 20 miles south to central London and it is about half an hour away. I have heard many good things about the school. Facilities are as good as ASL and the expat community is very diverse. Many friends in Dubai recommended the school. That is the reason why I submit applications to ASL and ACS at the same time.

Hi tryingtogetin2
Though they did not specify any deadline for admissions, they suggested to apply till the end of March. We filed the application, submit two teachers recommendation and student questionnaire within 2 weeks of application submission, we received the acceptance. Registrar was extremely friendly and was in touch through the process. Upon paying our seat reservation fees, official acceptance letter is received and immediately after we have been contacted by the housing officer to suggest good areas to live in close to the school community as well as nearby attractions. And immediately after, IT team has sent our access codes to the parental portal for us to familiarize ourselves to the curriculum and the ACS community..

Overall, I had a pleasant experience with ACS. But that was not the case with ASL unfortunately. No communication from their side, I had to follow up constantly with regards to application submission, payment, etc.

tryingtogetin2 Wed 26-Feb-14 14:05:13

Dxbtolondon,

Do you know what the application deadlines are for ACS Cobham?

tryingtogetin2 Wed 26-Feb-14 14:03:17

Still no word. Anyone hear anything today?

pandith Wed 26-Feb-14 10:28:20

Thank you for the info.. All the best to all,,,

Londonexpat Wed 26-Feb-14 10:15:40

Spoke to them yesterday and they said they were dealing with so many applications that they could not get all the e-mails out at once. No idea what their process is, but they said that not hearing yet does not mean anything.

pandith Wed 26-Feb-14 10:11:34

Seriously stressful, Londonexpat, have you had a chance to have a word with them. Is it true that they send acceptances first and rejections later?

DXbtolondon am sorry to hear, wish you all the best . can you pls let me know how far is ACS cobham to get into the city? Have you heard good things about them?

Dxbtolondon Wed 26-Feb-14 09:59:50

Unfortunately, we received regret from ASL on Feb 21st. So we are going with our second choice ACS in Cobham.. Good Luck to all waiting and wish you receive good news at the earliest.

Londonexpat Wed 26-Feb-14 09:56:57

Apparently they are still sending out e-mails. Very nerve wracking.

pandith Wed 26-Feb-14 09:46:34

Still waiting...Anyone heard any admission news today?

tryingtogetin2 Tue 25-Feb-14 23:38:29

I'm still awaiting news from ASL. Is there anyone who didn't get an email today besides me? I have kids applying to 2nd and 5th grades.
Trying to stay hopeful...maybe tomorrow. Fingers crossed and congrats to all who have been accepted!

CTtoLondon Tue 25-Feb-14 23:13:34

Tatizne just saw you are already here in London. Are your girls currently in a different school right now?

CTtoLondon Tue 25-Feb-14 23:12:32

Found out today also that our 7th grade girl and 8th grade boy were accepted for Fall. We are super excited also!! We just moved over here last week and live within walking distance. August can't come soon enough. smile

wc1dad Tue 25-Feb-14 20:49:42

Our son has been admitted to K1--we received the email notification at 4:45 PM GMT today. Congratulations, everyone!

Tatizne Tue 25-Feb-14 19:44:00

Hi Knox and Londonmove! We just heard - both of our girls, applying for 7th and 3rd, got it. And we'd love to email. We are already in London, so let me know if I can help with anything! Email is tatianaeichmann at gmail.com

Knox2London Tue 25-Feb-14 17:36:04

Londonmove, my 7th grader is a girl.:-) Great idea about emailing! She'd love that. Feel free to email me at lauren_ratner@hotmail.com!

londonmove2014 Tue 25-Feb-14 17:12:46

knox2london:
is your 7th grader a girl or boy? I have a girl-
thinking they can email each other so they have one friend before entering.

londonmove2014 Tue 25-Feb-14 17:04:59

we just heard. Both are in. Good luck to all and I hope that we meet at new parent meetings!

Knox2London Tue 25-Feb-14 16:58:12

I just got the email. All 3 kids were accepted! I am over the moon! :-)

londonmove2014 Tue 25-Feb-14 16:56:30

We have not heard yet either noon in the States. I applied children to 3rd and 7th grade. I am sure we will all get in some place! Right????
Will post when we hear anything.

pandith Tue 25-Feb-14 12:41:39

All the best!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now