13+ schools

(14 Posts)
Pyrrah Mon 18-Feb-13 19:19:00

Cranbrook has Saturday morning school (and matches on Saturday pm) and you have to board if you don't live within the catchment area.

Unless things have changed, you need much higher grades as a boarder than as a day student and especially if you are a girl. Most boarders also do CE rather than an 11+ type exam.

FillyPutty Sun 17-Feb-13 13:50:07

I assume you are applying for a Foundation Bursary

www.reeds.surrey.sch.uk/page/foundation-bursary-applications

From what I have seen/heard, the Foundation bursary is a big part of the Reeds ethos.

"Children are eligible for Foundation places if they have lost one or both parents; if their parents are separated or divorced; if they are from a single parent family and their home life is for some special reason unhappy or unsatisfactory. There must be a strong social and financial need."

happygardening Sun 17-Feb-13 12:43:23

Absolutely give it a go. I've skimmed Reeds website Pre testing Oct this yr I believe for your DS's age group. It would also appear significantly less selective than RGS. Can your head get some feedback on his performance at RGS so that you can get some idea of how he performed. Usually if a prep head enquires the senior school will tell them if a child was miles of of border line. This might help both of you plan for future schools.

Labro Sun 17-Feb-13 12:09:34

Bursary not attached to scholarship thankfully, he fancies having a go lol

LIZS Sun 17-Feb-13 11:54:06

Would here be a possibility ? Pricey though. Pretest in Jan 2014 if I've read it correctly.

happygardening Sun 17-Feb-13 11:42:20

I understand although may be wrong a D T scholarship is rather difficult. Are you relying on this to get financial help or are bursaries that are not attached to scholarships readily available at Reeds?

Labro Sun 17-Feb-13 11:09:42

Thanks, will do!

happygardening Sun 17-Feb-13 10:12:17

My DS was pre tested in yr 6 I understand how worried you must be made worse by the fcat that you were turned down for RGS. We did not have a fall back becasue our prep head advised us that for there would still be plenty of time if he failed to get either of the two he was trying for. Sevonoaks have not closed for 2015 (when Im assuming you will want a place) and Cranbrook don't choose their pupils until 2014 so you've plenty of time. My advise concentrate for now on Reeds. Just because you didn't get one doesn't mean you wont get the other.

Labro Sun 17-Feb-13 09:42:58

He's currently on a large bursary happy.
Current school confident that Reeds is right fit, just me being a worrier about pre tests if the day doesn't go right!

happygardening Sun 17-Feb-13 09:25:33

Cranbrook in Kent? A selective state school (top 20-25%) which starts at year 9 no prep test at yr 6 and very well regarded locally. Cant comment on Saturday school. From what I understand from friends at Sevenoaks who became exceedingly stressed trying to get their DC's into it its exceedingly competitive to get into.

happygardening Sun 17-Feb-13 09:14:31

Am I correct in thinking OP you need some sort of financial support?

FillyPutty Sun 17-Feb-13 00:52:08

Did you apply for RGS for 13+ or 11+?

Sevenoaks?

Labro Sun 17-Feb-13 00:10:34

Oh, forgot! They also need to not have Saturday school and be open to only 1 parent signing registration and bursary forms due to opposition from the non resident parent!

Labro Sat 16-Feb-13 23:54:55

Looking for some ideas. Ds didn't get RGS Guildford (but has admitted to not liking it and therefore not bothering in the exam!)
Now registered for Reeds with strong pointer for D&T scholarship.
I've decided to widen my search area! Looking for day schools in south east (not London) who don't look for pretest, but are still academically selective, still have registrations open and welcome bursary applications. Already know about most of the Surrey ones, what about those in Sussex, Hampshire, Kent etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now