Bursaries (non academic)

(9 Posts)
LIZS Mon 18-Feb-13 10:59:43

lechatnoir , be careful as that mix you describe was not far off dd's prep school class and she got equally lost.

lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 17-Feb-13 23:47:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

middleclassonbursary Thu 14-Feb-13 08:46:43

At prep level you don't need to start looking 2-3 years in advance generally at the max a couple of terms before a child starts in September and some will offer bursaries at other times. My DS admittedly many years ago was offered a substantial bursary by his prep we rang up were completely honest: no money went to see the school just before a half term and just over one week later he started. I accept it's not quite this easy now a days but definitely not 2-3 years ahead. Your problem OP is that most preps have limited resources and those that don't are over subscribed and can afford to be picky and thus are looking for the very able. Where approx. do you live and would you consider boarding?

morethanpotatoprints Wed 13-Feb-13 15:16:15

Just curious. Why is it something you start a few years before you need it? A school you deem suitable or unsuitable can change a lot in 3 years.
Can you not just look at local good private schools, call the bursars and apply?

lechatnoir Wed 13-Feb-13 09:45:40

Thank you grin Of course silly statement about being better in a smaller class but in DS1's case he is lost in a big class of big personalities with an unusually high level of extremes - 3 on the G&T programme & another 2 'just' extremely clever, 2 SEN and then a couple of very demanding/naughty boys thrown in the mix means my son (& quite a few others but sadly not my concern) are simply overlooked. Teacher is lovely doing her best with a difficult mix of children but now in our 3rd year with different teachers & the same peers I can see the problems for DS getting worse not better.

I will certainly look around & enquire but it looks like this is something you start a good few years before you need it so yr3 (september) is almost certainly out.
Thanks again grin

diabolo Tue 12-Feb-13 20:10:46

You've got nothing to lose by asking the bursars at schools you like the look of for information.

BadgerB Tue 12-Feb-13 18:42:44

DNephew has a bursary from Y3 (he's now Y4) at a local prep of 50%. His parents earn a little more than you. Not in the SE though. There's no harm in trying

FatalFlowerGarden Tue 12-Feb-13 18:25:58

It depends! Your best bet is to talk to the bursar of any school you're interested in as they will all administer bursaries in different ways. It's my understanding that bursaries are much harder to come by for primary but again, it depends on the school.

However... you have to bear in mind that virtually all children would thrive and flourish in a smaller class and a more nurturing environment; it doesn't mean they're entitled to bursaries wink

You have nothing to lose by asking though!

lechatnoir Tue 12-Feb-13 18:21:09

Does anyone know anything about bursaries for independent schools from y3 or 4? My eldest is bright but not academically exceptional & for various reasons I think would thrive & flourish in a smaller class size within a more nurturing environment. Other local state primary schools aren't an option (awful or over-subscribed) and there's no way we can afford private but someone mentioned bursaries the other day that got me wondering whether this might be an option for us. We have no savings or equity to release and I wouldn't mind our income being scrutinised (both self-employed so varies but probably £30k/annum which in SE commuter belt isn't much).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now