Levels required for selective private/grammar

(54 Posts)
DialsMavis Tue 12-Feb-13 11:01:26

Hi, I am just pondering really...
What sort of national curriculum levels would be expected in a year 5 child (attends bog standard state school & has never been tutored) if they had any hope of passing 11+/ common entrance exams. I am in London if that matters.
Thanks in Advance

DialsMavis Wed 13-Feb-13 17:59:32

grin it's obviously universal yout speak Bee, although it hasn't reached the naice primary down the road where friends DC go

DialsMavis Wed 13-Feb-13 17:58:24

4a at Christmas!!

DS1: is that you? grin

DialsMavis Wed 13-Feb-13 17:15:41

He was a 4c at Xmas, they will redo and send levels home at Easter smile

DialsMavis Wed 13-Feb-13 17:00:03

Update for those interested: his test scores were correct & his targets are 5s (& some 6s for reading), but his levels at present are 4as but she said he should be a 5cin everything by Easter or if not definitely by the summer smile

DialsMavis Wed 13-Feb-13 15:13:41

Seen blud, I bet he thinks that is like bare deep and ting

When they start secondary school, they sometimes pick up a new slang vocabulary. I explained to DS1 that he is a middle class boy living in the home counties, not in a ghetto of urban Los Angeles. The best way to stop them using the slang is to start using it yourself. This worked for 'blud', 'fam' etc...

DialsMavis Wed 13-Feb-13 15:01:02

*strops

DialsMavis Wed 13-Feb-13 15:00:04

He might stand a chance somewhere high brow as long as they don't interview the parents grin. The worry about schooling
Is somewhat connected to the wannabe Gangsta tendencies. Although if the teacher does tell me he is a child genius the strips would probably change from everyone else being allowed violent computer games to everyone else being allowed a polo pony and a holiday to Mustique grin

I've just realised you're the same OP as the 'pube scent' thread. Your thread title is still making me smile! grin

DialsMavis Wed 13-Feb-13 08:50:39

Thanks for all the advice. I looked last night and we have no Grammars that are less than about 1hr 20 mins of public transport. I don't think I would him travel that far twice a day & he would have no local friends. We seem to be equidistant to Kingston, the ones in Slough and the ones in Bucks. Curses. We used to live in Bournemouth/Poole, where I assumed we would try for one of the 2 if he wanted to sad.

The secondary schools where I live (Ealing) are good anyway smile

Schmedz Tue 12-Feb-13 21:05:59

Be careful of levels for Grammar selection. Some schools only test VR and NVR so it would be worth getting some familiarity with those sorts of questions. No matter how bright a child is, the time frame is tight for these tests and practise at the styles of questions that may be asked is very worthwhile as there are techniques you can learn to speed up answer time and accuracy.
Good luck...sounds as though the raw material is good indeed!

BooksandaCuppa Tue 12-Feb-13 19:32:13

I work at a 'normal' grammar, not superselective, and the children's levels on entry vary from 4c upwards to a few 6s (but most are usually higher on one subject than another, iyswim, probably at least one level 5 in the mix).

If you're asking will ds cope at grammar, yes, he'll really do well. Passing the test is a different matter, though, as pps have said, especially if they're VR/NVR.

DialsMavis Tue 12-Feb-13 18:24:27

I have questioned my DS more:
He says his targets are 5s for everything.
But recent tests have given him the following
5 for maths, above 36 was a level 5 and he got 40, so I am guessing 5C?
5C for science
6 for reading
I assume he this means he has performed at those levels in one test, but he hasn't achieved everything on the list, so wouldn't actually be that level yet?

And he still has a couple of 4s to be signed off in English for silly mistakes but his work is a 5.

We shall see tomorrow smile

Even with all three of the above in place, I know of DCs that just had a bad day or a bad paper.

If they are doing English and/or VR, then a wide vocabulary doesn't hurt, either.

YY to a lot of it being down to how they perform on the day. Having seen two DCs through (and myself, squillions of years ago), in my opinion they need all three of the following:

A reasonable level of natural aptitude.
Some familiarity with the question types and good exam technique.
To stay calm, confident and careful with their work on the day.

ProphetOfDoom Tue 12-Feb-13 18:02:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

seeker Tue 12-Feb-13 17:43:44

Oops- typo. I have a 655 that failed and a 554 that passed.

Yellowtip Tue 12-Feb-13 17:38:33

He would easily be on course for a London superselective with those levels in the Feb of Y5, no question.

choccyp1g Tue 12-Feb-13 17:33:56

SchmaltzingMatildaTue 12-Feb-13 16:29:24
He might be genuinely confused rather than telling fibs. DC1 is in year 4 and is a 4b for everything, but is often given level 6 Maths papers (not sure why) which he gets high marks on so he thinks he's a level 6.

Surely if he gets high marks on a level 6 maths paper, then he is capable of a level 6. I suppose the teachers mark him as "working at level 4b", as that is the work they give him day to day.
It would be interesting to see what they tell you about differentiation, and how they are ensuring your DS reaches his potential.

seeker Tue 12-Feb-13 17:16:35

Well, I have a 665 that failed and a 554 that passed, if that's any help!

DialsMavis Tue 12-Feb-13 17:13:55

That's not harsh, I am just trying to get an idea if he is the expected calibre or not. We are completely skint and live miles from a grammar anyway. I'm not pinning my dreams and his future on him getting into "PoshingtonTowers for the gifted" or anything... I just know nothing about the expectations or procedures smile

seeker Tue 12-Feb-13 17:04:05

Absolutely. There are always surprises on the day, both ways.

LIZS Tue 12-Feb-13 17:02:35

Sorry to be harsh but Levels are irrelevant if they don't perform on the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now