Travelling to school by train at 11

(31 Posts)
Mumtogremlins Sat 09-Feb-13 13:18:53

Hi

I am currently looking at senior schools for DS who is 9. He is in state junior so would be joining private secondary at 11. My choices are very limited if I want to drive him to school but I can't imagine him going by train in 2 years as he is not very streetwise and gets a bit confused and forgetful!
Does anyone's DCs go by train at 11? And how far do they go by themselves?

Thanks

mummytime Thu 21-Feb-13 21:26:14

Lots use the rail line between Haslemere and Guildford (and other points east, west, north, south). If its a major school eg. RGS, then there will be plenty of others in the same uniform to help, and it isn't a very long journey. I know one boy who travels Guildford to Petersfield, and I know there are others. I knew a girl who did Guildford to Reading at 11. Even State school pupils travel by train into Guildford.

morethanpotatoprints Thu 21-Feb-13 22:08:08

Yes EVEN state school pupils travel by train.

Woooh mummytime!

My ds State Faith school covers a huge catchment due to the diocese. Many travel 20+ miles from City to our town. They tend to meet at the bus/train stations and walk into school en masse.

mummytime Thu 21-Feb-13 22:59:50

I mean to and from Guildford! My kids btw are at State school, and most kids at state school can't get in if they needto travel far, at least in this area! But some do travel by train, especially to one school, which just happens to cover an area conveniently covered by rail.

On the other hand the Catholic school pupils travel by private coaches.

morethanpotatoprints Thu 21-Feb-13 23:08:40

Sorry Mummytime.

It was the way I decided to take it. Huge apologies.

Phineyj Sat 23-Feb-13 17:15:54

A large proportion of our year 7 arrive by train (big SE school, pupils from a wide distance). It's really not a big deal but it's a good idea to do a practice journey with your child first and to rehearse various scenarios (what they will do if the trains are cancelled, or they lose their travel pass, for instance). Not only is it good for encouraging independence but it's fun and social for the children on the whole (even if rather less pleasant for the commuters!) Tbh we have more trouble with pupils using buses where there may be no alternative service to their area/village if they miss it or it's cancelled.

If all parents drove their DC in each day it would be a nightmare as traffic would grind to a halt.

Phineyj Sat 23-Feb-13 17:16:39

I mean obviously they carry on using the train after year 7, that was badly phrased!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now