Lambrook Vs Eagle House School?

(23 Posts)
rococo1 Fri 08-Feb-13 17:55:26

Hi there - we are thinking of sending our DS and DD to either of these schools. One will be joining Nursery and the other Year 2 in Sept 2013. We would really appreciate your thoughts on either of these schools... Many thanks!

difficultpickle Fri 08-Feb-13 20:40:17

Have you checked they have space? What secondary schools are you thinking of?

rococo1 Fri 08-Feb-13 22:20:20

Re space - we're on the waiting list for EH but we're ok for Lambrook. Re Secondary Schools - we haven't done alot of research (yet...) however we're comfortable with the kinds of schools that both these places typically 'feed'. I know they send alot of pupils to Wellington however there is also a good splattering of other schools too...

Do you have any specific feedback on either of these schools? Thanks.

grovel Fri 08-Feb-13 22:28:17

I don't know much about EH. I am a Lambrook fan. I'll post my thoughts tomorrow.

grovel Fri 08-Feb-13 22:30:18

Should explain...just back from a delicious (restaurant) meal and probably not as articulate as I would want to be.

rococo1 Fri 08-Feb-13 23:01:43

Thanks grovel :-)

Hope you had a good evening - catchup tomorrow...

Amber2 Sat 09-Feb-13 08:46:59

I know parents with DCs at both schools and - both are excellent prep schools with lovely facilities and flex-boarding available. EH traditionally seen as feeder to Wellington but Lambrook sends a large cohort of boys there too every year, but also sends about 4 a year to Eton and to others like Bradfield, Charterhouse and Harrow. It may just come down to which is the easier school run logistically for you but you can't go wrong with either.

Amber2 Sat 09-Feb-13 08:56:36

PS rococo - you probably already know this but both have Saturday am school from year 5.

grovel Sat 09-Feb-13 13:12:55

As I said above, I don't know much about EH. It certainly seems to have a good reputation. My only reservation about the school is its relationship with Wellington (of which I am not a great fan). Given that you are not wedded to Wellington for the future, I don't suppose this prejudice of mine is particularly relevant to your current choice.

My DS went to Lambrook. He left a few years years ago (Eton). He was happy at Lambrook and we were happy with the school. My only concern back then was that the school was in a constant state of flux. When we moved to the area, 18 years ago, Lambrook was a classic, small (90 pupils), all-boy, boarding prep school. Over the years it has merged with Haileybury, gone co-ed, become predominantly "day", opened a pre-prep and opened a nursery. That's a lot of change. There are now over 400 pupils.

The good news is that the dust has now settled on all these changes and the school seems comfortable in its new skin. My sense is that under the new headmaster's leadership it will kick on from being good/very good to really outstanding. I like the fact that the school wins scholarships to seriously selective schools and also genuinely prides itself on its learning support.

I am able to comment on "modern Lambrook" because we know current parents and some staff (from my son's time).

Overall, I agree with Amber2 - you've got a nice choice to make. Two good schools.

rococo1 Sat 09-Feb-13 22:52:04

Thanks alot grovel and Amber2. A friend of ours mentioned Papplewick today aswell (although this is boys only and boarding is compulsory in the last 2 years) - any opinions on how Lambrook compares against Papplewick?

Does anyone also have any insights specifically on the Nursery at Lambrook?

rococo1 Sat 09-Feb-13 23:17:37

grovel - i forgot to mention, well done for getting your DS to Eton - you must be immensely proud!

Amber2 Sat 09-Feb-13 23:45:11

Rococo ..re Papplewick vs Lambrook - of course I think it depends if you want co-ed or not and are happy with compulsory boarding for those two final years ...but I would say these schools are on a par reputation and ethos wise. You really need to visit once or twice if you have not already and get a feel for which one is right for your DCs.

I don't have any insight on Lambrook Nursery though others on this board may. I would say pastoral care at Lambrook is very strong and HM is highly regarded by parents based on what i hear. Don't know as much about Papplewick to comment on that front.

grovel Sun 10-Feb-13 09:47:13

rococo1, Papplewick is well-regarded too. My only caveat is that I think it draws children from quite a wide area because of the stronger boarding element. It can be a bit of a pain if you live in - say - Windsor and your DC's best friends live in London.

Can't comment on the Lambrook nursery - sorry.

grovel Sun 10-Feb-13 09:59:11

Obviously, rococo, I'm assuming you live somewhere between EH and Lambrook. I may be wrong.

difficultpickle Sun 10-Feb-13 10:57:43

I'd add St George's if you are more Windsor way. Ds moved there this year from another local prep and is very happy. I've been impressed at the teaching quality and attitude of the staff. Really caring and feeds into a range of good senior schools. They also do flexi boarding like EH and Lambrook. No Saturday school either which is a plus.

rococo1 Sun 10-Feb-13 22:10:44

Thanks alot. We'll be visiting all 3 schools (EH & Lambrook - again, Papplewick) to make up our mind - may post a few more questions after the visits. Thanks again for taking the time to offer your opinions.

grovel Sun 10-Feb-13 22:51:59

rococo1, good luck.

I'd only say this. You've chosen to look at three very good schools - so rely on your/ DH's gut feeling for your DCs.

With the benefit of hindsight, I'd only advise you not to get too stressed about your final decision in terms of your DC's future happiness. There are variables you can't control - the most important of which is who his/her contemporaries at these schools will be. Sorry if that sounds unhelpful - it's not meant to be! It's meant to say that we all do our best and then cross our fingers.

acmum Mon 25-Feb-13 23:13:47

Hi Rococo1, i could have posted the same question myself! have you visited these schools yet and have you giving it more thought?

Having seen few schools in the area we have narrowed down to Eagle house and Lambrook too, both very good school both have fantastic facilities I think our DS could do well in either, so which one to choose? I am slightly leading towards Lambrook but hubby still in two minds. If I am honest, nursery is far better at Eagle House, and they have excellent ISI report, however, I have a positive feeling about Lambrook and I think this gut feeling is quite important.

Would you lovely to hear your thoughts after your visits

rococo1 Fri 01-Mar-13 21:36:27

hi acmum - we are going to see Lambrook and Papplewick next week - will give you our feedback towards the end of next week. Although we started this thread as 'Lambrook vs EH' we were surprisingly happy with what we saw on our fist visit to Papplewick (so we're going again next week for a second round). Will provide more details next week...

acmum Sat 02-Mar-13 21:15:45

Great would be lovely to hear back from you.

Are you planning to send DS and DD to different schools as Papplewick starts from year 2 and all boy school?

rococo1 Sat 02-Mar-13 23:00:24

Yup that is one of the points against Papplewick (the fact that it is all boys) although we were thinking that we shouldn't compromise our decision just to make sure that both DS and DD are together in the same School.

Will report back next week...

Inclusionist Sun 03-Mar-13 16:00:44

My DS is in the same year as your younger DC rococo. He is registered to start at Lambrook in Reception in Sept 2014. I think Lambrook is a fantastic place and am really excited for him that he is going to have the chance to go to such a lovely school. However, I was non-plussed by the Nursery. No quibbles in particular, I just didn't think it was anything special.

DS is at Meadowbrook, the Montessori school round the corner from Lambrook at the moment. Now that is special! Meadowbrook goes through to 11 but I think a fair few children go to pre-school there and then move to Lambrook (as, I believe, grovel's DS did). It is worth a look if you choose Lambrook.

acmum Sun 03-Mar-13 21:03:00

Have to agree with inclusionist that the nursery at lambrook isn't great, but we have now decided to send our DS to Lambrook starting from Jan2014 (nursery class) I am pleased with the decision and I hope DS is going to enjoy his time there as it is a lovely school!

DS is also starting meadowbrook montessori this April doing 3 mornings a week before he switch to Lambrook when he's 3

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now