Redhill Academy - Consultation on Admission Arrangements for 2014

(5 Posts)
boddingtons Fri 08-Feb-13 11:27:02

Proposed admission arrangements are here.

My objection to these is the addition of criterion 6 - favouring children from the much sought after Haydn and Carrington schools over other, nearer schools (including the one my DD attends) and effectively giving children from the affluent parts of Sherwood and Carrington priority over children who live on the council estate (and who actually live nearer).

Can anyone give me some guidance on how I should word my objection. I need to respond by 15 Feb. Can I refer to the Schools Adjudicator and if so when? Should I threaten to do this in my response?

prh47bridge Fri 08-Feb-13 13:54:59

Just state what it is you don't agree with and your reasons. You can refer to the Schools Adjudicator if you wish but not until the Academy has adopted the new arrangements. You have until 30th June to do so.

I would not include a threat in your response. It would sound like an attempt to blackmail the school.

boddingtons Fri 08-Feb-13 14:09:51

Thanks very much for your reply. I just need to keep it simple then! Is there anything these arrangements might specifically be in breach of that I could mention?

prh47bridge Fri 08-Feb-13 17:47:21

The current Admissions Code doesn't say much about catchments. It only requires that they must be "reasonable and clearly defined" (paragraph 1.14). I would suggest that your argument is that the catchment is unreasonable because it appears to be designed to exclude children from less affluent areas. You may also want to point out that this will reduce the school's income as there will be fewer pupils on free school meals - the school receives additional funding for such pupils.

boddingtons Mon 11-Feb-13 12:43:47

Thanks very much for your advice prh47bridge. I have sent my objection and worded it as if I am drawing this exclusion of disadvantaged children to their attention as an unintended effect of criterion 6 (although sadly I don't think it is unintended at all). Not sure I would want DD to go to this school now anyway if this is their attitude but I want her to have as many options as possible. Fingers crossed now that there will be no need for the Schools Adjudicator.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now