Those of youwhose children passed the 11+ well, can you answer a question for me?

(18 Posts)
OlaSparkles Fri 08-Feb-13 07:08:14

Because in RL you aren't allowed to ask people.

How did your dc score on the CATS in the year or two preceding the 11+?

I live just out of a grammar school area so in order for my dd to get a place she can't just scrape a pass she has to get stellar marks <ffs> (she does not know this)

A friend told me that her (private) school had said if your child doesn't score over 85% to forget grammar.

So what are people's experiences with the CATS and actual 11+ success?

I <insert many rich and varied swear words> hate this system.

ninjahamster Fri 08-Feb-13 07:44:53

I can't answer that as I am not aware of my child doing CATS tests in the years before. All I can say is that my son passed in Warks with a high score. School had said he was a child who may well pass but of course they give no guarantees. He had no tutoring and did no practice for it but we knew he was on target for level 5s in his SATs so decided to sit him. He was already a level 5 in maths in year 5, his literacy was slightly lower. My oldest child didn't pass so there was no pressure on child 2 as we were happy with out local comp. However he did pass, and passed very easily. He then achieved all level 5s in hi sats. Bizarrely child 3 sat it this year but has not passed (well we know for sure next month but it going on previous years marks he hasn't). He was higher levels for maths in year 5 than his brother and is on target for level 6 in his sats for maths, 5 for english. Again, no tutoring or extra help so it just shows what a lottery it is as I actually think he is brighter than his older brother!

QOD Fri 08-Feb-13 07:52:40

I don't understand how grammar areas can be so different, I'm Kent, coastal and they didnt and don't do CATS.
She was however on 4's for everything in yr 5 (4c for maths barely scraping in from a 3a)

Do you mean SATS?
Mine didn't do CATS until year 7

They are both at selective schools. Ds2 will not be doing the 11plus in 2 years though.

tiggytape Fri 08-Feb-13 09:25:07

I have heard others say that too ninja - that a brighter younger sibling failed to get in despite having older siblings who passed. I assumed it was because more and more children sit the tests every year and this makes it more comeptitive (we are in an area with high birthrates and no catchment areas so the grammar schools within a 10 mile radius get more applicants year on year - hundreds more each year sometimes and top score wins so the score needed toget in gets pushed higher and higher).

The children I know who got into grammars last year achieved around high level 4's at the end of Year 4. These were the children who passed the test with a high enough score to get an offer and were considered super bright in the year. There were quite a few more who passed the tests but did not get an offer (more people pass than can be offered places so only top scores get through). These tended to be children who were very strong in one area but not equally strong in the other eg children who were Level 5 maths in Year 5 but 'only' a level 4b or 4a in English.

I don't know about overall CAT scores in primary.

You would be looking for confidently above 120 in cats ( you want stanine 8 or 9) for a high pass. What county are you looking at?

TotallyBS Fri 08-Feb-13 09:36:11

I'm not aware of my DCs doing CATs. In any case, I wouldn't use that as the basis for any decisions.

Some bright kids (according to their parents) can turn up at the exam for a highly selective secondary and, with no prep, ace the exam. For piarents like me, with 'lesser ability children', it's all about the prep that you do with them.

Over the Year 5 Easter break we went through some past papers with DS. At the end of the two weeks we got him to do a mock paper with no time limit. I think he scored 60%. The 'safe' mark at his school was 90% so DC was nowhere near ready. Nevertheless the 60%, albeit in 2 hours, after a few weeks showed that he had the potential to past so we went for it.

You don't say how old your DC is. Assuming that he is about Year 5, I suggest that you spend a few weeks tutoring him and see what happens. If it results in two weeks of crying, screaming and tantrums then perhaps you should take that as a sign. If the DC struggles to do the paper even with unlimited time and with you there to give hints then perhaps you should take that as a sign.

TotallyBS Fri 08-Feb-13 09:52:09

..also..

My DS was KS level 4 at the end of Year 5 which is good but hardly brilliant. People told me that DS would be going up against kids who are L5 so they didn't fancy our chances.

My point is this. CAT scores and KS scores are only rough indicator of ability. In the case of KS levels, DS's was merely an indicator of the teaching at his school and not of his ability to past a 11+ test.

JoanByers Fri 08-Feb-13 10:20:30

It really depends what the 11+ is.

If it's VR/non-VR, then CAT scores.

If it's English, then English Levels.

sue52 Fri 08-Feb-13 13:04:15

My daughter (now in year 12) scored over 120 in her cats. I do remember that children scoring in the high teens were considered boarderline for the 11plus.

racingheart Fri 08-Feb-13 15:24:08

No Cats here, either, sorry. Maybe the school does them, but they are not made available to parents.

OhDearConfused Fri 08-Feb-13 17:04:21

I don't even know what a CAT is, so presumably DSs primary doesn't do them!

They do SATs though.

Are we missing out?

piggywigwig Fri 08-Feb-13 17:43:55

We won't know for sure until 1st March but DD2's score is pretty safe ...we can't help on the CAT scores, I'm afraid

MrsMushroom Fri 08-Feb-13 17:49:56

Can I hijack a bit....and ask a question. My DD is in year 4 and I have no idea if she'd be able to pass the 11+ but plan to ask her teacher about it when we next meet.

however...what are the indicators? Are her levels as of now indicative of her ability when the time comes? She's predicted to be 4 something in her reading by the end of year 4...and I can't remember the others but they're I think, only slightly above average.

tiggytape Fri 08-Feb-13 18:34:18

It depends where you live MrsMushroom - in some parts of the country 25% of local children get into Grammar School, in other parts of the country, only the top 2% - 8% get a place so obviously those children need to be pretty exceptional. Hopefully your school will know your local area best and the sort of level the grammar schools expect.

Yes her end of Year 4 levels are relevant (well as relevant as anything else that you might use) because the 11+ tests are taken in the first few weeks of Year 6 - so only really a year after the end of Year 4.

MrsMushroom Fri 08-Feb-13 18:54:25

Thanks very much.,,,last meeting I had the teacher said DD had shot up in terms of performance and that she was "heading for the top ten percent" ....hopefully she'll be able to set me straight.

Really, I imagine it's a very stressful situation...planning for exams...so a small part of me hopes that DD is'n't in the right league. But only a small part. grin

OlaSparkles Fri 08-Feb-13 22:08:48

Ok.

Yes CATS not SATS (they also do optional SATS) at dd's school.

She is stanine 9 for verbal, quantitive and 8 for t'other.
Don't know how you get over 100 as ours were given as a percentile!

We're in Kent btw. No English paper (other than a written piece that is used in the case of an appeal only) we have maths, NVR and VR.

In Kent on stanine 9, with a bit of practice she could probably get top score ( usually 420, but does not equal 100% in each paper).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now