bursary silly question really.

(29 Posts)
morethanpotatoprints Wed 06-Feb-13 17:22:49

Ok, so supposing you were assessed for a means tested bursary for full fees of either 23k or 30k depending on day or boarding.

1.What would this entail?
2.what sort of finance would they be looking at other than income?
3.What might affect your eligibility?

eminemmerdale Thu 07-Feb-13 09:37:33

*penny

morethanpotatoprints Thu 07-Feb-13 10:52:31

Thank you so much for the very detailed responses.

I made the mistake of asking here before I checked all the details and it appears to be fine unless for some reason we don't qualify for the grant Music and Dance.
Hopefully it won't come to applying for the bursary as this is offered as alternative to the grant. I suppose in the case of a bursary they should check you have no other form of income or assets to make this fair for all. We aren't exactly rolling in money and struggle at times, but I know there are many worse off than us. The point about children living at home not in education hadn't occurred to me either.

middleclassonbursary Thu 07-Feb-13 11:44:19

"The grant is awarded on income alone, now I'm even more confused. Apparentely you can earn a small fortune before you pay fees. I don't really want to say which school in case everybody decides to apply, but is this normal"
Look on the Royal Ballet website there it gives an example you will see what this means basically the more you earn the more you pay its a sliding scale.
"Also if many don't pay full fees, most are subsidised, why make them so expensive to begin with."
Running boarding school is not cheap. You have to employ literally armies of people teachers are the obvious ones but theres nurses cooks cleaners laundry staff security staff HR it goes on, most have fab facilities all this has to be paid for and maintained, usually the teacher pupil ratio is much smaller than in the state my DC's are on 1 teacher for every 7 pupils, some boarding schools charge parents for every piece of paper text book pen but others include this is the fees, many have breath taking grounds = armies of gardeners, some have Mediaeval buildings which have to be kept secure looked after etc and lets not forget world class coaches/trainers etc.
"I was a little worried that many of the parents would be very rich and dd wouldn't fit in,"
I wouldn't worry about this the vast majority of the parents at my DC's school are absolutely loaded becasue lets face it if you can pay £34 000 a year per child and many have at least two there you not on the minimum wage but he doesn't feel out of place. Im guessing from your posting that it is a school like the Royal Ballet and I think your find that it's how good you DD is at what ever they do that ultimately really matter and that is how others will judge your her.

morethanpotatoprints Thu 07-Feb-13 12:34:41

Middleclassonbursary

Hello and thank you for the explanation, I can be a bit dim at times. I didn't mean to sound like a reversed snob, I think people are people. Its just that I know of some places where we certainly wouldn't fit in.
Its not the Royal Ballet, but similar I think. She is a musician, its Chethams.
I bet you are proud of your dcs, we have seen a couple of productions with the younger students, they are fantastic grin.
I didn't mention the school before as on another thread a poster tried to draw me into a debate of who's child was more talented and it annoyed me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now