Some primary teachers politically opposed to 'elitist' grammars

(27 Posts)
auckland63 Mon 04-Feb-13 13:20:09

Have any parents experienced hostility from teachers at state primaries to grammar schools and the 11 Plus? Hearing anecdotally from some parents who claim their kids have heard teachers saying that grammar schools are elitist and they are opposed to selective education. Seems a shame if children are being subjected to political views of teachers which maybe should be kept away from the classroom. The primary our children go to refuses to coach for the 11 plus in any way or even prepare children for the exam.

jalapeno Tue 05-Feb-13 14:20:44

One senior teacher in my middle school (who lived down my road!) refused to teach or talk to me when I passed the 11+ as I was out of borough and "going out of the local system". This anecdote is clearly out-of-date as it was the late 80s but this thread reminded me of how horrible teachers can actually be to children.

We are still in the grammar area and I'm dreading all this angst for my DCs education in a few years time.

wordfactory Tue 05-Feb-13 20:51:07

I think it works both ways, OP.

My friend has a gifted child (and not in the MN sense) and his primary teacher told her that she doubted the state sector could adequately help him. When the HT got wind of it the teacher was hauled over the coals !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now