Eton On The Cheap

(92 Posts)
peteneras Thu 31-Jan-13 11:54:25

Here's an alternative and cheaper way to access the services of the great School!

askeptical1 Sun 19-Jan-14 01:49:02

Why can they build it in my area?
All of our schools have been rated "unsatisfactory" by OFSTED in a blitz last month

bico Sat 22-Jun-13 18:38:10

I would put good money on the fact that they won't fill those spaces.

peteneras Sat 22-Jun-13 18:23:06

But it is still better to have a school like Holyport no matter, and in spite of, where it is located than to have no (such) school at all. The 20% priority for the underprivileged no matter where they come from, is a good case in point.

bico Sat 22-Jun-13 18:11:50

Then we are almost saying the same thing. Holyport College is not located in an underprivileged area so those children will either have to board or find their way to school. It is not walking distance of anywhere that has low cost housing and there are very few footpaths even if it were. Whilst the school maybe keen to offer access on paper it will be interesting to see how they facilitate it in practice.

The only people I know who are talking about sending their dcs their are those who live very close to the school and whose children attend preps. They see it as a free alternative to the private non-selective day schools in the area like LVS and CC.

peteneras Sat 22-Jun-13 18:06:10

The point I’m making is it is unrealistic to expect the school to cater for all situations. Remember this is a thread about (going to) Eton on the cheap -or almost as close to that as possible - that one would otherwise have to pay £33,000 basic annual fee for the real thing. At Holyport it is possible to get it all for nothing no matter where you live and the underprivileged have special priorities. That’s all I’m saying.

bico Sat 22-Jun-13 15:58:14

peteneras you were the one that highlighted the admissions section in response to my pointing out that the school is not situated in an underprivileged area so I'm not sure what point you're making.

If you are saying that it is pretty unrealistic to expect underprivileged pupils to be able to access this new school then I am in complete agreement with you.

peteneras Sat 22-Jun-13 15:31:52

So what do you want - to provide for each and every underprivileged child in the country to come to the school on a taxi with a guaranteed return fare and/or giving them free boarding if they want to board, just because life’s dealt them or their families a bad hand?

Next, you’ll be asking for the same free services and guarantee of a place at Oxbridge or a Russell Group university followed by a top job in government or in industry.

bico Sat 22-Jun-13 14:44:13

Only the underprivileged who want to go to boarding school and can afford it or are able to get one of three funded places.

As for the 20% on pupil premium there is no mention on how they are going to actually get to the school. There isn't any bus stop within walking distance.

peteneras Sat 22-Jun-13 10:59:36

Yes, I know what you’re implying but Holyport College is also a boarding school. Therefore, proximity to the school is not a major criterion for admission purposes. Listen to what the school has to say officially:

“Along with all schools in the borough, we would expect to have a number of students who are eligible for the Pupil Premium. However, unlike other schools we have set a priority criterion in our admissions arrangements which states that up to 20% of day places will be allocated to children who are eligible. The final number may rise above this percentage if pupils eligible for the PP gain places through the other priority criteria”.

It is quite evident and very much stated in the school’s Admissions Policy that the underprivileged are especially catered for. [Page 2 - Ss 1, 2 and 5]

bico Fri 21-Jun-13 23:06:44

I doubt that there are many underprivileged children living in the catchment area of this school!

MrsSalvoMontalbano Fri 21-Jun-13 18:00:14

Well done! Watching with interest

peteneras Fri 21-Jun-13 17:56:56

Fear not!

Holyport College is alive and well and heading fast towards September 2014 opening:

?Headteacher appointed, construction starts and DfE funding secured?.

Good luck to all concerned. It's a positive step towards the right direction for the underprivileged.

difficultpickle Sun 10-Mar-13 20:52:59

Their planning application was roundly rejected by the local parish council, much to the founder's chagrin. Very funny ranty twitter posts from Simon Dudley, who is also the deputy leader of the town council and sits on the town planning committee.

moutier Sun 10-Mar-13 18:19:07

go look at Rookwood in Andover.Main line to Woking and the boarding is very good

slipshodsibyl Sat 09-Feb-13 10:54:59

insulting to those educator,s not insulting and to

slipshodsibyl Sat 09-Feb-13 10:53:42

Tony Little has specifically stated in newspaper interviews that he would not presume to offer advice to schools on educating children living in areas of social deprivation and with attendant problems. He said it would be insulting and to those educators who do have that expertise and wrong as it is not what he and his staff can do well.

A child I know well who lives nowhere near Windsor contacted a staff member for advice on an area not covered in her school. She received help and support freely from an individual staff member and contact has continued two years later. I doubt Mr Little is even aware of this kindness. It is hard to talk of 'Eton's opinion' when it is a large community of staff, governors and students with a wide variety of opinons and attitudes among them isn't it?

rabbitstew Sat 09-Feb-13 10:52:45

Where on earth, happygardening, do you get the opinion that I think Tony Little knows nothing at all??!!!!!!!! That's just a bizarre comment.

happygardening Sat 09-Feb-13 10:49:22

Is Tony Little less qualified to speak his experiences than many others keen to jump on the band wagon and air their views? Maybe he's blessed with a high % of common sense, after all he didn't leave school go to university and go straight to Eton or maybe Rabbit you're right he knows nothing at all. In my effort to encourage my DC's to "make the most of their opportunities" I encourage them to try something and listen to everyones point of view before making up their mind otherwise they are in danger of missing something.

rabbitstew Sat 09-Feb-13 10:39:04

Perhaps Tony Little should be asked to give advice to Special Schools, both private and state. The most unlikely people can come up with exceedingly good ideas, after all...

rabbitstew Sat 09-Feb-13 10:33:02

I don't recall saying I have a problem with anything Tony Little is saying, happygardening????....
In terms of experience, however, he doesn't appear to have much experience of dealing with children with low IQs, if Eton's academic selectivity is real and not pretend, nor with children whose home backgrounds have resulted in severe emotional and behavioural problems, because those at the severe end will just never have been given a place at the school - as you perfectly well know.

happygardening Sat 09-Feb-13 10:26:13

Rabbit having reread the article this is what he's being asked to do; "Tony Little, the head master of the leading public school, is to address a “character and resilience summit” which aims to find ways to encourage children to develop determination, ambition and make the most of their opportunities."
What is the problem with that? As I've just said some of his ideas might be unworkable outside of Eton et al but some of his ideas might engage those on the edges of our society.
I spent many years owning horses and most horse owners think they know everything about everything and are usually not shy to come forward with their thoughts. Many talked a load of crap IME but often in amongst the crap the most unlikely person would come up with an exceedingly good idea/thought often unwittingly. So I discovered thats its always worth listening to even the most unlikely of people and then developing the skills of sorting the useful from the useless.

rabbitstew Sat 09-Feb-13 10:12:11

Sorry, happygardening, but that's just a load of tripe. I don't think he has ever made any suggestions on dealing with those on the outermost margins of society (who probably rarely enter a school building). Where he has made suggestions, as an intelligent man with a lot of experience of education and adolescent boys, he should be listened to, but you appear to be attempting to suggest he should spread his wisdom far further than he has chosen to spread it. I certainly don't approve of the current government's push for free schools, etc, but if things are going that way regardless of the effect on society, I would rather places like Eton were involved in them than organisations which don't actually have any proper background in education.

happygardening Sat 09-Feb-13 09:37:40

Why assume that Eton and Tony Little knows nothing about managing those on the edges of our society? He also works daily with over 1200 teenage boys the assumption that they are all well behaved angels because they're parents pay is completely ridiculous. He knows how to engage boys at what is often a difficult age and therefore must be able to bring some knowledge to the table. I've never met the man but assuming he's not an arrogant arse he would I'm sure make suggestions and discuss his experiences (I doubt he's holding himself up as an expert on social deprivation and teenagers) some of his ideas maybe unworkable or inappropriate but even if he only bring one good idea then that's better than nothing because currently we not doing very well engaging these youngsters. Only someone who is truely ignorant and of course prejudiced would dismiss his suggestions before he even opens his mouth and has a chance to speak.

peteneras Sat 09-Feb-13 01:36:04

”The headmaster of Eton went there, as a boy, as a "full fees" scholar. I don't think he had a typically privileged background. I don't suppose he was profoundly deprived as a child”

I’m constantly amazed by critics and opponents of the School about how privileged the Etonians are - both boys and Masters.

Fact: Tony Little, the Head Master did NOT have a privileged background. His father was only doing security work at Heathrow for British Airways and Tony himself was the first male in his family to be educated past 14 years old as you can see here in the paragraph immediately below his picture.

So, instead of whinging and complaining constantly how life has dealt you a bad hand and habitually stretching out that big hand for freebies, go do something about it yourself like Tony did and lo and behold you might find yourself The Provost of Eton one fine day!

Eton have bent over backwards to offer what it can on the cheap and even for nothing at all so don’t look a gift horse in the mouth!

ipadquietly Fri 08-Feb-13 23:47:05

Bisjo: I wish schools like Eton would keep thier nose out of state education.

Why? It has amazing facilities that no local state school can match. Even ds's school (which is private) uses Eton's facilities some of the time. Why not encourage it? '

Great. The only thing is that you have to PAY to use Eton's facilities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now