Plan B.... non selective preps near Surbiton

(20 Posts)
papalazaru Tue 29-Jan-13 18:00:27

In the words of my DS we have had an 'epic fail' on trying to get into various schools at 11+. We have one more that we're waiting for results from.... He's been educated in the US system all his life and only had 3 weeks prep for the exams he took - clearly not enough!

Plan B is to get him into a prep where he can do Yrs 7 & 8 before trying again at 13+. Maybe 2 years in the UK system will help him to come up to speed for CE.

So (excluding Rokeby & Shrewsbury House) can anyone recommend prep schools in Surrey, near(ish) to Surbiton? Don't mind if they're co-ed or boys.

Thanks

andiem Tue 29-Jan-13 18:03:05

you could try Ewell castle they may take him in they go all the way to 18 but I think you will find they are all selective. The other one is claremont in esher

jennybeadle Tue 29-Jan-13 18:03:22

A friend of mine put her son into Newland House in Twickenham in a similar situation. I realise itsn't in Surrey, but it's on the bus route from Surbiton, and an easy drive. She's been really pleased so far, and will be going the 13+ route next year.

racingheart Tue 29-Jan-13 18:49:29

That's tough. When something similar happened to a friend's DS he went to Downsend and then got into the school of his choice at 13+. Not on Surbiton's doorstep but worth a look.

holidaysrcoming Tue 29-Jan-13 19:57:33

Downsend quite selective and few spaces at 11 but you never know. How about Feltonfleet in Cobham, they definitely have buses running up the A3 to Wimbledon. I think Twickenham Prep is non selective as well, but not sure. Ripley Court further down A3 not selective and often have spaces at 11. I guess depends on what schools you are aiming for at 13.

Timestables Tue 29-Jan-13 20:19:16

You could try Willington in Wimbledon , its small and meant to be quite nurturing . It's next to the train station so easy commute from Surbiton .

Millais Tue 29-Jan-13 22:01:57

My friend's son did exactly that, went to Willington for two years and then sat 13+ and got offers from at least 3 schools. He'd been out of the UK since yr 1 and found worded exam questions tricky.

Aboleyn Wed 30-Jan-13 20:05:39

Downsend is a good option for 11-13. There are school buses in the morning from near Surbiton. We know a state school boy who went there from 11-13 having failed reeds at 11 and after the downsend treatment passed reeds at 13.

racingheart Wed 30-Jan-13 21:52:05

Don't know Willington but if it's by Wimbledon station, the commute couldn't be easier. Downsend's a lot further away.

stclemens Thu 31-Jan-13 14:46:38

you will need to check which schools have an entry pt at 13+ and don't pre-test as well - or pre-test next year (Radnor do for example). Not all of them wil expect CE.

Alternatively my niece and nephew both went to Hollyfield and niece did well, is now doing maths at Bristol. Would you consider state?

papalazaru Thu 31-Jan-13 14:51:15

Thanks to everyone for their really helpful info and support. We just heard we have a place at Claremont - which DS will be chuffed to bits with as he really wanted co-ed and likes their use of technology/laptops etc (he also thinks it looks like the White House confused). Always useful to have a Plan B though and all your replies really helped.

goinggetstough Thu 31-Jan-13 16:03:48

papalazaru Congratulations to your DS!!!

stclemens Thu 31-Jan-13 16:21:29

good to hear that your DS has been successful!

racingheart Thu 31-Jan-13 17:43:42

Fantastic news Papa. Well done to your DS. Several friends of mine have DC there and they have only great things to say about it. It's a lovely school. Also I know at least one boy who will be starting next year and he really is one of the nicest boys you could hope to meet. Your DS will be very happy there.

(And your DS is right - it is like the White House. It's by far the most beautiful school for miles around. Used to be Queen Victoria's holiday home when she was a child and remained one of her favourite places all her life. You'll see why when you get there.)

MiniEggsinJanuary Thu 31-Jan-13 17:45:54

Have you tried Surbiton Prep? They are selective but they're not really, if you see what I mean!

MiniEggsinJanuary Thu 31-Jan-13 17:46:22

Oh sorry - ignore!

ReallyTired Fri 01-Feb-13 09:32:42

Surbiton Prep only goes up to eleven. I'm glad that your ds has got a place at Claremont. Another really nice school Halliford in Shepherton and your son could take the train.

I hope your ds is happy in his new school

Heidiserene7 Fri 06-Dec-13 23:26:16

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Wobblypig Thu 12-Dec-13 08:28:56

Heidiserene7- new headmaster is fab at Willington. Good background, good vision and means to stay for a long period.
Don't know what you mean about bullying- care to expand?

Tori23 Fri 13-Dec-13 11:11:13

Heidi, you seem to be posting the same things under multiple IDs. I'm not convinced this sort of personal vendetta is suitable for Mumsnet. We are all looking for helpful advice not vitriol. My experience of Willington has been excellent. My son is very happy and I have never heard of any bullying at all. My son has a great group of friends from all years and the school has been really good for him. I would recommend the school unreservedly and I think the new head is excellent and will be great for the school, he gave a really inspiring talk full of vision only a few weeks ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now