recommend spanish music

(39 Posts)
pillowcase Sat 26-Jan-13 23:01:12

hi, total beginner Spanish learner here and I'd like to buy some music to listen to Spanish/sing along. Any recommended singers/bands? I tend to like female solo singers but anything remotely modern with lyrics that are clear enough to try to decipher and understand.

AMmyBoys Sat 02-Feb-13 13:02:42

I didn't see anyone suggesting the spanish group Mecano, sorry if somebody did already. I love their stuff, IMO they sing in perfect spanish although sometimes their lyrics are a bit difficult though.

My fab songs by them are: "hijo de la luna", "me cuesta tanto olvidarte" y "el 7 de septiembre"

Good luck!wink

pillowcase Fri 01-Feb-13 12:48:03

ooohhh Chica31 I've just been doing parts of the body on ver-taal, now I need a cold shower!!! http://www.ver-taal.com/voc_cuerpo1.htm grin

Chica31 Thu 31-Jan-13 22:34:10

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tzwa5aVD4g

These songs from a group called Canta Juegos are fun for kinds if you want them to join in too.

Also this one is fun, Habia una vez...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pucdv5jPWBA

thejoblot Thu 31-Jan-13 21:57:21

If you're wanting to get the kids involved as well try Uno, Dos, Tres, My First Spanish Rhymes by Yanitzia Canetti, book with CD ... otherwise Alejandro Sanz has a wonderful gravelly voice <swoon> who cares what he's singing grin

Chica31 Thu 31-Jan-13 21:46:43

Valencia, where I live, will have Las Fallas soon, 16th to 19th March. The best festival ever!!

Chica31 Thu 31-Jan-13 21:44:33

www.ver-taal.com/

This site is fantastic, there are a few songs to listen to, then exercises to fill in the missing words.

We have listened to a few in our class lately doing some revision on the subjunctivo tense.

A dios le pido by Juanes and Ojala que te vaya bonito by Chavela Vargas.

I go to the state language school in Spain and I have found this site to be excellent.

pillowcase Thu 31-Jan-13 21:29:55

still noting all your ideas and slowly investigating on youtube. thanks again. met a real spanish person yesterday and nearly had the courage to address them in spanish, but didn't!!! maybe next time

Ihatemytoes Wed 30-Jan-13 15:58:33

Julieta Venegas. Love her stuff.

SucksToBeMe Wed 30-Jan-13 13:55:57

Agree with spanish11, Alejandro sanz is brilliant.I love No es lo mismo and I recommend watching the video for La Tortura with Shakira!!

<fans self>

sanam2010 Wed 30-Jan-13 10:30:14

Also - but male voices, Fito & Fitipaldis and Jarabe de Palo, I found them very good for learning Spanish.

sanam2010 Wed 30-Jan-13 10:29:27

Has anyone mentioned Rosana yet? A singer from the Canary Islands, lovely voice.

Novia - NEVER would have expected to read about Extremoduro on mumsnet, LOL!!! Are they still around? Reminds me of my youth, sniff!! Are they still around?

Muddles2 Tue 29-Jan-13 23:28:38

Not modern, but 'Spanish songs with translations' on Amazon should give you something useful to sing along to.
As for places to visit in Spain, it is such a fantastically varied place ...
Central Spain is hot and full of history - Salamanca, Segovia, Avila, Toledo etc..
The north coast is a bit like Cornwall but with mountains behind. The pilgrim's route across northern Spain to Santiago de Compostela would be a great trip.
(Santillana del mar is a lovely place to stay in Cantabria - near the beach, historical caves, Santander, and the Picos de Europa.)
In the south, a good driving trip could include Sevilla, Cordoba, Malaga, Granada, the Ronda Valley and a bit of the coast ..
For a bit of Spanish luxury maybe investigate a night in a PARADOR - they are castles or old buildings which have been converted into hotels.
I would also investigate dates for local festivals and try to go to one or two to soak up the atmosphere.
I have left so much out, but I hope this helps a bit.

SoldeInvierno Tue 29-Jan-13 19:15:51

Amaral is good because her accent is so clear. She comes from Zaragoza, so every word is pronounced as it should be.

I can't stand La Oreja de Van Gogh, but if you like them, they can be good as well for this purpose.

pillowcase Mon 28-Jan-13 23:13:22

Oh excellent, some more, thanks a million everyone. Having a ball on youtube! slowly looking up lyrics - loving la oreja de van gogh so far. !Me gusta espagñol!

spanish11 Mon 28-Jan-13 21:12:59

Buenavista social club, Paulina Rubio.

spanish11 Mon 28-Jan-13 21:12:09

Extremoduro lyrics are difficult to understand, but I love the group. Other famous groups are, mecano, Los secretos, nacha pop. Ana Belén y Víctor Manuel, juaquin Sabina.

spanish11 Mon 28-Jan-13 21:08:03

Heroes del silencio, Alejandro Sanz, danza invisible, la unión, Alaska, David Bisbal,Bustamante, radio futura.

peteneras Sun 27-Jan-13 15:45:26

You could, of course, listen to the peteneras.

marcopront Sun 27-Jan-13 15:00:52

I was going to say the same as TheDreadedLurker if you are going to Spain you might want to go for Spanish rather than Latin American artists.
However I also agree with the poster who suggested going for songs that you know in English. I found Enrique Iglesias and Ricky Martin very easy to sing along to.

racingheart Sun 27-Jan-13 14:52:39

Radio Tarifa. The lead singer had a really gravelly emotional voice, but his words are clear. If you listen to something like Oye China you can make out all the words, even if your Spanish isn't very good at all (like mine!)

TheDreadedLurker Sun 27-Jan-13 10:52:56

Amaral also v good - deep lyrics-and liked by the God who is Bob Dylan to boot!
Have just discovered La Musicalite and looooove them :-) Poppy but not that typical male Spanish singing voice used by 90 percent of Latino male vocalists and referred to in my house as Chipmunk pop stars .... Heh heh! If u listen to enough Latino pop you'll see what I mean! Haha
Be aware that Gloria and Shakira, etc are Latino Americans so accents will differ- particularly on C's and Z's which they pronounce as S whilst Iberians will mostly say Th......
Hasta pronto

pillowcase Sun 27-Jan-13 10:45:26

So the plan is to listen to music, read a spanish forum and then find a spanish speaker to try out on when i'm brave enough, thanks to everyone - will look up new bands

pillowcase Sun 27-Jan-13 10:45:00

Grazias, ya me gusta la oreja de van gogh... It took me until this morning to realise that that has to mean 'ear'!! Novia, the seafood of galicia will lure dh for sure. am already doing a CD course in car and i find it really good, but a bit dry.

SucksToBeMe Sun 27-Jan-13 01:14:40

Some very good bands(male I'm afraid) are Mana and Juanes. They are Mexican and columbian. I agree that shakira is brill. Specially her earlier songs ojos asi, estoy aqui and donde estas corazon are lovely.

littledid Sun 27-Jan-13 01:04:44

Try La Oreja de Van Gogh (although the original lead singer's voice can grate a little), El Sueño de Morfeo, El Efecto Mariposa and, slightly older, Ella Baila Sola. All lead female vocalists and great to sing along to. Alternatively, try a compilation such as Superventas or 40 Principales (Top 40) and you may discover an artist or group you like. Chambao are a kind of chillout Flamenco group, which I love, but the lyrics are not always clear. ¡Mucha suerte!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now