recommend spanish music

(39 Posts)
pillowcase Sat 26-Jan-13 23:01:12

hi, total beginner Spanish learner here and I'd like to buy some music to listen to Spanish/sing along. Any recommended singers/bands? I tend to like female solo singers but anything remotely modern with lyrics that are clear enough to try to decipher and understand.

pillowcase Mon 28-Jan-13 23:13:22

Oh excellent, some more, thanks a million everyone. Having a ball on youtube! slowly looking up lyrics - loving la oreja de van gogh so far. !Me gusta espagñol!

SoldeInvierno Tue 29-Jan-13 19:15:51

Amaral is good because her accent is so clear. She comes from Zaragoza, so every word is pronounced as it should be.

I can't stand La Oreja de Van Gogh, but if you like them, they can be good as well for this purpose.

Muddles2 Tue 29-Jan-13 23:28:38

Not modern, but 'Spanish songs with translations' on Amazon should give you something useful to sing along to.
As for places to visit in Spain, it is such a fantastically varied place ...
Central Spain is hot and full of history - Salamanca, Segovia, Avila, Toledo etc..
The north coast is a bit like Cornwall but with mountains behind. The pilgrim's route across northern Spain to Santiago de Compostela would be a great trip.
(Santillana del mar is a lovely place to stay in Cantabria - near the beach, historical caves, Santander, and the Picos de Europa.)
In the south, a good driving trip could include Sevilla, Cordoba, Malaga, Granada, the Ronda Valley and a bit of the coast ..
For a bit of Spanish luxury maybe investigate a night in a PARADOR - they are castles or old buildings which have been converted into hotels.
I would also investigate dates for local festivals and try to go to one or two to soak up the atmosphere.
I have left so much out, but I hope this helps a bit.

sanam2010 Wed 30-Jan-13 10:29:27

Has anyone mentioned Rosana yet? A singer from the Canary Islands, lovely voice.

Novia - NEVER would have expected to read about Extremoduro on mumsnet, LOL!!! Are they still around? Reminds me of my youth, sniff!! Are they still around?

sanam2010 Wed 30-Jan-13 10:30:14

Also - but male voices, Fito & Fitipaldis and Jarabe de Palo, I found them very good for learning Spanish.

SucksToBeMe Wed 30-Jan-13 13:55:57

Agree with spanish11, Alejandro sanz is brilliant.I love No es lo mismo and I recommend watching the video for La Tortura with Shakira!!

<fans self>

Ihatemytoes Wed 30-Jan-13 15:58:33

Julieta Venegas. Love her stuff.

pillowcase Thu 31-Jan-13 21:29:55

still noting all your ideas and slowly investigating on youtube. thanks again. met a real spanish person yesterday and nearly had the courage to address them in spanish, but didn't!!! maybe next time

Chica31 Thu 31-Jan-13 21:44:33

www.ver-taal.com/

This site is fantastic, there are a few songs to listen to, then exercises to fill in the missing words.

We have listened to a few in our class lately doing some revision on the subjunctivo tense.

A dios le pido by Juanes and Ojala que te vaya bonito by Chavela Vargas.

I go to the state language school in Spain and I have found this site to be excellent.

Chica31 Thu 31-Jan-13 21:46:43

Valencia, where I live, will have Las Fallas soon, 16th to 19th March. The best festival ever!!

thejoblot Thu 31-Jan-13 21:57:21

If you're wanting to get the kids involved as well try Uno, Dos, Tres, My First Spanish Rhymes by Yanitzia Canetti, book with CD ... otherwise Alejandro Sanz has a wonderful gravelly voice <swoon> who cares what he's singing grin

Chica31 Thu 31-Jan-13 22:34:10

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tzwa5aVD4g

These songs from a group called Canta Juegos are fun for kinds if you want them to join in too.

Also this one is fun, Habia una vez...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pucdv5jPWBA

pillowcase Fri 01-Feb-13 12:48:03

ooohhh Chica31 I've just been doing parts of the body on ver-taal, now I need a cold shower!!! http://www.ver-taal.com/voc_cuerpo1.htm grin

AMmyBoys Sat 02-Feb-13 13:02:42

I didn't see anyone suggesting the spanish group Mecano, sorry if somebody did already. I love their stuff, IMO they sing in perfect spanish although sometimes their lyrics are a bit difficult though.

My fab songs by them are: "hijo de la luna", "me cuesta tanto olvidarte" y "el 7 de septiembre"

Good luck!wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now