Aldersbrook school - Wanstead - advice please!

(6 Posts)
Wenders77 Wed 23-Jan-13 11:06:53

Hello ladies,

Does anyone have children at Aldersbrook school/nursery? If so, what's it like?

My son is at private nursery at the moment but I am expecting a second baby any day now and so for financial reasons we've decided to move our first born to free pre-school from September.

We live in Aldersbrook so I presume he will get a place at the school nursery but I've heard some negative comments about it and I am getting really worried. I am even considering renting a property close to Nightingale school, where I would really like him to go....which is the only way we're guaranteed a place.

I wish we could afford to go private but that's not an option.

Am I worrying too much? How much trust/reliance should we place on the Oftsed reports?

Please someone give me some advice :0)

A stressed mummy x

magichamster Wed 23-Jan-13 11:12:52

I don't know the area at all but I would suggest you go and have a look. Good, bad or indifferent all nurseries have a 'feel' and when you have a look you will get a better idea of whether it's right for your child. What works for one child will not work for another.

Go on, give the school a ring and have a look smile

Wenders77 Thu 24-Jan-13 11:41:24

Thanks. I've already done that but it doesn't really help. I was hoping for the opinions of parents who have kids there.

If I choose not to send him there, then given how over-subscribed schools are in Wanstead, we will have to move house - so it's quite a big decision!

Catrin Thu 24-Jan-13 22:50:01

The Nursery is lovely. The school has a newish Head who seems to be very focused and driven and has brought some good staff to the school. I would not stress about moving for the sake of Nightingale - Ofsted may rate it more highly, but that is not everything.

Wenders77 Fri 25-Jan-13 17:22:10

Thanks Catrin. It's helpful to have some positive comments. I'm really dreading taking him out private nursery as he loves it there and I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision as he'll be leaving all his friends behind.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 08-Feb-13 21:38:41

Going to the nursery there will give you a chance to check out the school before you have to select the school by Jan 14. Should you decide you are happy with it, your DC will also make friends, some of whom will then be in their class in reception. Which will help with settling in.

My DS is in reception at Nightingale. He is happy but there are lots of aspects I don't like about the school. But I am not sure if that is the state school system, especially after the experience of private nursery or Nightingale.

I personally liked the feeling of Oakdale, but we chose Nightingale as we live nearer. Not convinced we made the right decision.

Would echo going to different schools.

I don't know anyone at Aldersbrook, sorry.

Good luck with your decision and he birth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now