RGS refusal - where do I look now?

(30 Posts)
Labro Tue 22-Jan-13 16:11:24

So, the no letter arrived.

Back to looking for 13+ entry for a boy currently in Yr 6 which doesn't do pre testing at 11 and can be reached easily from Guildford.

Co ed or single for a bright young man (who apparently isn't RGS material)

Hes registerwd at Reeds, but theres no guarantees in any of this it seems.

happygardening Wed 23-Jan-13 13:38:43

Labro Brighton is only Mon-Frid day and boarding although if you live south Guildford and its not an area I know I suspect it would not be possible to commute to Brighton every day! Lancing is also day and boarding and less academic than Brighton but there would be Saturday school. But then if you DS went to RGS he could easily have been in a match on Saturday. Your head needs to very proactive after all he took your DS on and offered him a bursary and he needs to do all he can to assist you in finding the next appropriate school. I agree withLIZS one head talking to another head detailing your situation is much much better than you talking to a school. Do make sure he's fully aware of the difficulties you have with your ex partner sometimes men dont listen and fully grasp the situation heads have a lot to remember and you may need to carefully spell it out.

Labro Wed 23-Jan-13 13:01:58

Have already asked homeby, the reply came through our director of studies that the list was closed.
Lizs - shalford way and keep going lol
happy - main ones are Brighton, Lancing etc
I have added issue of mouthy ex husband which some of the schools can't seem to work around, and saturday school is like waving a red flag at a bull!

homebythesea Wed 23-Jan-13 12:56:47

St Johns are pre testing THIS WEEK - call them and see if they can squeeze your DS in - no harm in asking

mummytime Wed 23-Jan-13 09:35:05

A friend of mine went from barely scraping a pass at 11 (a long time ago when the standard was easier) to getting a scholarship at 13.

I would also recommend having a serious conversation with the HM, and see what he suggests.

I do know one boy who was at 11 heading for St J's but now at 13 has decided on GA instead.

LIZS Wed 23-Jan-13 08:33:23

Labro you also need to get your current HM on the case too. A word from one head to another can reopen the registration lists although they may prefer to be the only choice. Having said that I've a feeling that St J's will have already pretested now ?

happygardening Wed 23-Jan-13 07:33:18

Labro if your DS went for a scholarship at 13+ he usually wouldn't have to register for the school 2 yrs early. Just because he didn't get into RGS doesn't mean he won't get a scholarship into a less academic school in two years time. Also boys can change a lot between 11 and 13 and can make a big jump academically especially in the right prep school we know of two boys turned down flat for Eton at 11 + who went on to get scholarships into it. Where does your prep send a large group to every year most have one school where lots go does it also get quite a few scholarships into one school because if yes this a good place to start because the school have lots of experience of this individual schools requirements. Do not despair and do keep talking to your head. I'm sure something will come up.

happygardening Wed 23-Jan-13 07:18:57

Joan Christs only offer bursaries to day children who've won a scholarship and I don't think Wellington has a reputation for being over generous with its bursaries.

LIZS Wed 23-Jan-13 07:18:09

half an hour in which direction ?

Labro Wed 23-Jan-13 07:13:22

We're about half an hour from Guildford.
Joan, many thanks, we're fine for the moment as ds is at current school until 2015. I've noticed that theres an increasing number of 13+ schools closing their registration 2 years early, hence the need for ideas. Best of luck everybody and thanks again.

JoanByers Wed 23-Jan-13 00:12:09

Have you submitted a state school application? If you haven't you won't get anything at this stage.

mummytime Tue 22-Jan-13 22:14:18

Just how far away are you? Someone last year got in (non-appeal) to GA who lives opposite County. I have also known people get in well outside catchment on appeal.
Also with the new rules on school buses no-one is quite sure how things will go for Catholic schools. Never mind thatCounty has/is getting a new Head, and I know some people are choosing Kings over other schools because of the new partnership.

springrain Tue 22-Jan-13 22:10:57

In a low birth rate year you are more likely to get in from further away

Labro Tue 22-Jan-13 21:55:28

To be honest probably not as we're not in the catchmen t area for any of those schools.

springrain Tue 22-Jan-13 21:44:30

Labro - would you consider state? Current year 6 is a low birth rate year and you might be lucky with a late application. You have nothing to lose. You could try George Abbot, St Peters, and Howard of Effingham. There are also quite a few DC (especially boys) that make this move in years 8 or 9 from prep as in year applications.

Labro Tue 22-Jan-13 21:31:09

Thanks, starting to get my head around all this and ds bless him pointed out he'd rather not be in the town centre anyway!

JoanByers Tue 22-Jan-13 21:11:07
JoanByers Tue 22-Jan-13 21:10:58

[http://www.reeds.surrey.sch.uk/page/foundation-bursary-applications]]

racingheart Tue 22-Jan-13 20:13:16

Labro, I hope you know that Reeds has a policy of helping single parent families, and favours bursary applications from them. I don't think it is any way an inferior school to RGS, just different. It is small, very nurturing and gets the absolute best from its pupils. We were advised to go and see it as a back up school but were blown away by how strong it is. It could be a great solution.

JoanByers Tue 22-Jan-13 19:19:03

Is Christs Hospital an option? They've got lots of dosh.
www.christs-hospital.org.uk/prospective-parents/day-pupils/

Wellington easily reached.

happygardening Tue 22-Jan-13 18:04:34

Good luck Labro with Reeds glad head is being helpful.

BlueStringPudding Tue 22-Jan-13 18:02:57

The Royal School in Hindhead is opening a Boys' Senior School this September. Now that the A3 tunnel is open, it should be about 15 minutes from Guildford, depending on whereabouts you are. I have had DDs at the Senior School and have been very happy with it.
www.royal-school.org/boys-senior/

Labro Tue 22-Jan-13 17:57:07

Sounds like a difficult task papal, though there are lots of prep schools who will take at Year 6, so worth searching something like the good schools guide.
We're very close to Cranleigh happy but they are VERY sport orientated and for some reason ds school don't generally feed into it (plus their fees are very high!)
Head is being helpful in quite difficult situation, in need of bursary etc with ex husband refusing to sign registration forms, which some schools don't allow for! He's helping ds put together a portfolio etc for Reeds (very creative DT minded ds) so will have to see!

papalazaru Tue 22-Jan-13 17:46:04

Sorry to hear your news Labro. We have also had x2 rejections and feedback from both reveals that DS's maths is particularly weak. So now I am worried about the other schools we're waiting to hear from. If we are not successful in any of the 11+ indie testing then we'd be in the same situation as you as we will try to get DS into a prep school and then 13+ school which doesn't require pre-testing. We're not even in the country! Aaargh!

happygardening Tue 22-Jan-13 17:44:02

Im so sorry Labro that your DS didn't get his place. Im crap on day schools but we've friends at Cranleigh which is day and boarding I believe they like it very much if he's bright then he could try for a scholarship and top it up with a bursary. He still has time to register and no pre testing at 11. What does your head say he should be helping you out and giving advise re scholarships/bursaries.

Labro Tue 22-Jan-13 17:34:51

Salesians is a definite no go area for personal reasons.
King Edwards only does bursary for boarding
Will look at Churchers (don't know anything about it)
looking at City of London Freemans but their website seems to say they only take an additional 20 at 13+?
St Johns Leatherhead closed their list for 2015 in November 2012 and hes not a girl lol (they seem to have spaces for girls on the list still)
Happygardening - hes currently on a 75% bursary so either stand alone bursary or bursary/scholarship combined. Wouldn't consider boarding as have a very vocal ex husband who would apply for residency if I even hinted that an application was being made to a boarding school, its hard enough dealing with his opinions on private education (doesn't like it)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now