Opininons on TINY primary schools - under 50 pupils.

(26 Posts)
educator123 Mon 14-Jan-13 19:40:40

Thats it really. Just wondered what the general opinion of them is.

In a way i would think its a positive having so little pupils?

Any opinion valued, but would also be very grateful for teachers opinions

TIA

MorningPurples Wed 23-Jan-13 07:15:55

I'd also worry about siblings always being in the same classes. Depends on the siblings, of course, but I had one year where my sister and I had quite a few shared lessons, and I felt really hemmed in somehow, like I couldn't ever be 'me' (I tended to view school as a bit of a chance to get away from some of the pressures at home). I don't think it would have been good for me to be with siblings long-term, either, because we were competitive and ended up conforming to certain 'roles'.

I also appreciated the wider choices of friends and activities at the larger schools, and they felt a bit less intense, too, as I often felt scrutinised and sometimes just wanted the chance to relax a bit, which a small school might have made harder. We also mixed the classes up each year, so always seemed to be the chance for new friends, re-inventing yourself, changing habits/patterns/ruts that you get in to with other children.

I was academically advanced as well, and that was probably easier to deal with in a larger school where there were more similar peers. And a huge library, which was fantastic for me!

But for the right children, a small school could be great- think it depends so much on the school, peer groups, etc. If it works, wonderful. It's when there are problems that there is less wiggle room for changing things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now