Born on 1st Sept...

(29 Posts)
Mollymod Mon 07-Jan-13 16:26:49

2012 means starting reception in which year? Thinking far ahead and stupid question but being on the edge of the year is messing with my brain for some reason..

Thanks

tiggytape Tue 08-Jan-13 22:50:04

Many teachers (if they give it any thought or planning) aim for a September baby. That way they can have the Summer holiday off work without it counting as maternity leave, not be teaching in the last weeks of pregnancy and maximise their time at home with the baby by not having 'wasted' any maternity leave before the baby is born. Plus the baby has the advantage statistically of being born Sept - Dec.

Of course a lot of teachers don't give it any thought or planning, but its considered a good way to plan it if you do.

bigTillyMint Wed 09-Jan-13 07:39:43

Icenoslice "Matters for sport. Apparently there was a study in the US a few years back and a disproportionate number of pro sports players had Jan/Feb/March birthdays (little league over there goes on calendar years). They're a bit older so bigger and stronger and likely to do well, doing well = enjoying it more = carrying on with it."

Interesting - DS was a March baby and is doing OK with fotball (and is now the tallest in his team - who have birthdays throughout the year) DD is end of July (and pretty petite) but is doing OK with gymnastics.
DH was born in Dec and was the youngest in his year in NZ (also probably one of the shortest). Didn't stop him getting to national levels in tennis and football as a youth.

bigTillyMint Wed 09-Jan-13 07:42:38

tiggy My mum was a teacher and I was due about the 20th Augusthmm. I arrived 3rd September and was always the oldest in my year!

I am a teacher. DD is end of Julyhmm

IceNoSlice Wed 09-Jan-13 10:17:36

BigTilly - good to hear! Both DH and I are were quite sporty. DS is a big baby 98th centile. So hopefully being a young 'un won't hold him back smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now