school half day at end of term

(110 Posts)
mumzy Fri 14-Dec-12 17:42:03

My dcs state primary always closes at 1pm at the end of each term after they have taken the afternoon register. Its a pain as I work and either have to take a half day or arrange childcare. Having spoken to a teacher friend it seems the school is giving the impression they are providing a full days education. Does anyone elses dc do this and is it legal?

SunflowersSmile Wed 19-Dec-12 10:54:08

I think our school who make a huge deal about attendance [because they need to] would not entertain doing half day off at end of term.
It would be a bad example.

CaurnieBred Wed 19-Dec-12 12:19:36

Both the schools DD has attended (infant and junior) finish early at the end of all three terms - 2.05 for the current school and 2.10 for the infant school.

I like it as it is early as a treat, but not too early.

However, I have no qualms in removing DD at 2pm on a Friday if we need to go anywhere for a weekend. That way she will have been marked as present on the register and is only missing "golden time".

It works both ways.

cory Thu 20-Dec-12 08:15:11

I never had a problem with our end of term half days but that is because schools notify parents at the start of term.

Bunbaker Thu 20-Dec-12 08:24:10

"I thought they all did this?"

Not in our LEA. DD has never had a half day on the last day of any term in primary school. Her high school doesn't do half day last day of term either.

Lfs2126 Thu 20-Dec-12 09:06:22

Ds school kicks out at 11.30 for chrimbo. One 1/2 day in 14 weeks of toilwink, it's not asking the earth is it?

SunflowersSmile Thu 20-Dec-12 21:24:39

Bloody hell Lfs126- not much point going to school for an 11.30pm finish. Also, I think it is too much to ask....

SunflowersSmile Thu 20-Dec-12 21:25:11

Err 11.30am finish I mean....

difficultpickle Thu 20-Dec-12 21:25:57

11.30pm is a late finish grin.

Our finished at 10.30am last week which seemed daft.

MissDuke Sun 30-Dec-12 10:40:27

It is totally different where I am, we don't have OFSTED so attendance isn't so tightly monitored - I have never even heard of 'afternoon registration' before reading this thread!

Here, we have loads of half days. Last day of term is always a 12pm finish, and usually last day before half term also. We also have a week of 12pm finishes twice a year to accomodate parent/teacher interviews, as these are in the afternoon. There are other random half days crop up here and there, such as before the carol service. We can take the child home after the end of the nativity and sports day also!

We are used to this, so parents know they are coming, so I have never heard anyone complain about it to be honest.

Also our school day is shorter, usually 5 hours for the first 3 years, then 6 hours. So it is all very different here! We also get much longer in the summer 8-9 weeks!

IvySquirrel Sun 30-Dec-12 19:37:35

I am actually amazed that anyone does full days on the last day of term. All schools in my area finish early on the last day. DS1 (private) finished at 12 before this holiday, and DS2 (state) at 1.45pm.
As it is always like this, it is no problem to plan for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now