school half day at end of term

(110 Posts)
mumzy Fri 14-Dec-12 17:42:03

My dcs state primary always closes at 1pm at the end of each term after they have taken the afternoon register. Its a pain as I work and either have to take a half day or arrange childcare. Having spoken to a teacher friend it seems the school is giving the impression they are providing a full days education. Does anyone elses dc do this and is it legal?

Startail Fri 14-Dec-12 19:08:31

Primary finishes after final assembly, total pain because you really have to sit through the thing or stand about freezing because it can be any time from 2.45 to 3.05

High school run their buses at 1pm.

Both do this summer and Christmas.

2kidsintow Fri 14-Dec-12 19:09:14

This doesn't happen in any of the primaries local to me, or any of the primaries I've worked in.
It doesn't happen in my dd's secondary.

If you don't like it, I'd complain to the the governors and the local education department.

IsaXMASbelleRinging Fri 14-Dec-12 19:12:09

Our school doesn't do this!

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Fri 14-Dec-12 19:14:36

12 noon here for primary and secondary schools but only at Christmas and summer.
The children are marked in as being in for a full day but I cannot bring myself to care. DS is completed exhausted.

almapudden Fri 14-Dec-12 19:18:31

The school I work in closes at 1 on the last day of term.

mumzy Fri 14-Dec-12 19:20:57

We get the term times at the start of each academic year in September and it states clearly that school finishes at 3.30pm at the end of eac term. We are then told in a newsletter a few weeks before the end of each term to pick up our dcs at 1.30pm on the last day of term. I think they should be up front and make the last day of term an inset day rather than have a sneaky half day. Will discuss it with the governors next week

wigornian Fri 14-Dec-12 19:29:34

DS's private school finish at 3:40 as usual, but, no after-school care. smile

SleighbellsRingInYourLife Fri 14-Dec-12 19:35:15

DD1's primary finishes at 12.15 on the 21st.

It says it clearly on the calendar, so no skiving.

I'm glad of it. We are going to head to my parents straight after I pick her up. DH is taking a half day.

TalkinPeace2 Fri 14-Dec-12 19:35:30

12.30 for us - and non uniform so I'm not expecting them home (on the public bus) till at least 2pm!

if you have a problem greeting your kids from school at the end of term, I'm afraid you need to REALLY re-evaluate your priorities.

orangeandlemons Fri 14-Dec-12 19:45:31

They finish early to let the teachers sort out everything and clear up ready for the next term.

It is sanctioned by the LEA which is why they have to have a register mark. Very very little is allowed so it must be acceptable.

mumzy Fri 14-Dec-12 19:54:59

As Ive stated upthread I work so I book everything including work commitments into my diary for at the start of every term. If the school states at the beginning of the academic year it closes at 3.30pm each term I assume the children will be kept on the premises untiil that time. Nothing to do with not wanting to be with dcs but just expecting the school to honour their commitments as I do mine.

EcoLady Fri 14-Dec-12 21:54:36

Early finishes are a PITA for working parents but the children are not doing any work that day, so why not be upfront about it?

Our primary ends normal time after a day of games. DS will got to afterschool club as normal.

Our secondary has 'charities morning' then finishes after lunch.

BackforGood Fri 14-Dec-12 22:26:56

Really talkin ? Working parents know that there are 190 days a year the children will be at school. They make the arrangements they need to for the holidays and training days. Not everybody is a SAHP, or has Grandparents round the corner to step in. As a teacher, I subscribe to the regular MN reminder that "school is not there for childcare", but, they have to realise that they can't take these extra half days. All school closures (except emercency floods / boiler breakdowns etc) have to be counted as one of the 5 days the school staff are at work but the children aren't.

Hulababy Fri 14-Dec-12 22:29:41

DD's school (primary, independent) does it at Christmas, Easter and Summer but thy finish at 12.

The infant school I work at always does a full day at end of term.

difficultpickle Fri 14-Dec-12 22:32:46

Ds's school finished for Christmas today at 10.30am. They only had to go to school for morning assembly which was actually just a carol service with a couple of readings and a bit of singing.

TheSecondComing Fri 14-Dec-12 22:36:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IwishyouaMerryChristmas Fri 14-Dec-12 22:37:11

I've never heard of this!

Wouldn't matter either way to me as long as I had some notice.

5madthings Fri 14-Dec-12 22:39:12

None of the primary schools here do that. I have never heard of it. Ds2's high school finishes ar 2pm but thats not a problem.he just gets a bus home.

Tinuviel Fri 14-Dec-12 22:46:19

The secondary I work at does this at Christmas and summer but there is a letter that goes home to parents saying that if they need their DCs supervising we are happy to keep them till 3.20. How many of the letters get home, I really wouldn't like to say! We have only once kept someone back and he had been a pain in the neck all term, so his mum asked us to supervise him to show that she fully supported the school and that she wasn't happy with his behaviour either! He looked very glum sat outside an SLT office.

Pooka Fri 14-Dec-12 22:46:56

We always finish an hour early at the end of autumn, Easter and summer terms. Normal time before half term though.

It's made clear at the beginning of term, and also practically twice a week in the last 5 weeks of term in newsletters and parent mails.

Tinuviel Fri 14-Dec-12 22:47:08

Oh, and we don't get to leave early - there is always a staff meeting and then clearing up.

storynanny Fri 14-Dec-12 23:19:40

It's all to do with hours teaching over the year. Usually more hours are taught over a whole school year than the required minimum therefore schools can legally adjust a day here or there without children dipping out of their time in the classroom

DeWe Sat 15-Dec-12 19:21:43

Ours (infant and separate juniors) soemtimes do it. I like it, but every time they do it they get lots of complaints from working parents. It's nice for them to come out a little early usually about an hour and a half early, makes a nice end of term.

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 15-Dec-12 19:28:50

We finish at normal time and late care also provided as usual. We do get long holidays though and broke up last week.

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 15-Dec-12 19:31:10

Actually think last year it was lunchtime finish before christmas but were so many complaints that they didn't do it this year. They've also stopped the umm suggestions about taking children home after nativity/sports day at lunchtime too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now