Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Ds's school has banned the children from playing it!

(20 Posts)
rabbitstew Sun 16-Dec-12 17:42:20

Oh sad. We weren't even stopped from playing "trip up Bulldog" when I was at primary school...

Cat98 Sat 15-Dec-12 18:45:58

Ds would be devastated if tag was banned in his school. He loves running about games such as this, gets a few bumps and bruises yes but it's all part of childhood!
I do think there should be safe quiet places for children to play other games though if they don't want to be mown down by frenzied tag playing lunatics (ds I'm looking at you!)

hardboiled Fri 14-Dec-12 22:10:11

shock sad

My DCs went to a tiny village primary where the "old school" head allowed bulldog as well as tig. There were bruises and bumps but it seems to have been just before the cotton wool culture took over. When Ds2 was in y6 a new head took over. Her second decree, after the banning of all playground games, was to ban the infants from using the (100 year old) steps into school. They had to walk up the newly constructed ramp in case they fell. I kid you not.

nlondondad Fri 14-Dec-12 18:04:11

Parents also sue.

Some of them appear to have no win no fee lawyers on speed dial.

I am a chair of Governors and I used to get two or three solicitors letters a year. They dried up because we refused to settle, but indicated we would fight every case.

hardboiled Fri 14-Dec-12 17:23:27

Yes auntevil. This generation of parents - my generation - wil go down in history as the most pushy, hysterical, obsessive, scared, confused, and misguided ever. I just hope our children will do better.

auntevil Fri 14-Dec-12 16:44:36

I too would be worried if my DSs didn't come home with the odd scrape, but until we change the culture of parents complaining as high as they can go re innocuous bumps and bruises, schools are in a no win situation.

hardboiled Fri 14-Dec-12 14:09:21

Oh come on. Generations after generations in every country in the world children have been playing to chase each other. Aren't we doing enough harm to childhood as it is with all the academic pressure and technology in their lives that we now want to ban a simple, basic game where they are actually being children?

I would worry if my child had never come home with a bruise, a bump or a gash in his seven years of primary school. THAT would be worrying.

auntevil Thu 13-Dec-12 16:32:17

I have seen the game played in our school playground, and trust me, if a large year 5/6 runs at you full pelt to catch you - it's not just a tap on the arm. For a smaller year 3, it probably feels like a bulldozer.
I agree about physical activity, but there are other games that can be played.

ReallyTired Wed 12-Dec-12 18:20:54

"If you are the child that is constantly pushed to the ground instead of being touched lightly - maybe not so good a game."

We are talking about a simple game of IT. Not some of the more barbaric games like bulldog. It played properly is not bullying.

Surely schools need to be encouraging physical activity at playtime.

auntevil Wed 12-Dec-12 17:23:48

I think your opinion is likely to be guided by what role you play in the whole situation.
If you are a parent, you think a couple of bumps and bruises, get up, get on with it - why ban a simple pleasurable game.
If you are at the receiving end of dealing with maybe 20 or so injuries a day, cleaning the child up, making written record - maybe not so.
If you are the child that is constantly pushed to the ground instead of being touched lightly - maybe not so good a game.
If you're in the office and you get the irate parent telling you that their child has ruined a (take your pick) pair of trousers, shoes, tights, coat (all new and very expensive) and the school owe them (wtf) , that their child has been knocked over twice now and want to see the HT because it's bullying, that their child has a gashed knee and will be scarred for life - who was watching over them - and wants to see the HT etc, it's not such a good game.
Give and take is required, but until all parties do it, I can't see some schools lifting the bans.

SunflowersSmile Wed 12-Dec-12 16:23:48

I'm in my 40s and British bulldog got banned due to injuries [mine included!].

lljkk Wed 12-Dec-12 13:21:56

"It" is What my generation called "Tag".
We had a game called Teamball which got banned with arrival of new HT. Bit like Dodgeball but more brutal.

Our kids are banned from going on the grass in wet weather hmm. But the tarmac in playground is very good, at least.

You'll have to get onto PTA to pay for resurfacing, OP.

ReallyTired Wed 12-Dec-12 09:51:39

It is the same game as tag. Its not quite as dangerous British Bulldogs. It is the the game that prh47bridge describes. "One person is "it" and has to chase the other participants. If they manage to touch someone else that person becomes "it". " My son tells me that some poor kid needed stitches after playing simple "It".

British bulldog got banned at the school I went to as well. We also played a game called "chainhe or known as "link" where the children who are caught hold hands and chase the other children. "link" got banned as it led to broken bones.

prh47bridge Wed 12-Dec-12 09:45:16

sashh - Not sure if this has different names around the country. One person is "it" and has to chase the other participants. If they manage to touch someone else that person becomes "it".

Changeforthrday Wed 12-Dec-12 07:54:03

British Bulldogs? They were banning that one in my day - many chipped teeth and cut knees!

sashh Wed 12-Dec-12 07:50:38

'it'? Is this one of those games with a different name in different parts of the country?

EuphemiaInExcelsis Tue 11-Dec-12 20:06:59

At least they're allowing them out - at my school the kids haven't been out for nearly two weeks because of an icy playground.

That's crazy. What the hell r they supposed to play in order to run off energy at break so they can sit still and concentrate in class?

ReallyTired Tue 11-Dec-12 18:16:21

Ds got really nastily injured playing in the playground. He has a really horrendous gash to his hand. The school playground is in a poor state and needs resurfacing. The playground is also icy.

The school has reacted by banning the children from playing it indefinately. I feel this is ridicolous. I could understand them banning it until the end of term, but banning it indefinately is excessive. Its no wonder that so many state school children are obcese if they aren't allowed to play it.

Isn't this political correctness gone mad. I am thinking of teaching my son the rules for bulldog or chainhe.

What really lethal playground games did you play.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now