Best schools in Devon

(58 Posts)
KitKat26 Mon 10-Dec-12 21:05:23

Hello All, We're relocating to the area - near Tavistock/ Plymouth and are trying to wade through the minefield that is schools - help please! Both kids are still little - 3 y.o boy, 1 y.o girl but thinking ahead for feeder schools to good secondary schools, where would you recommend? Probably prefer co-ed but I don't really mind.. Option of boarding may be nice when they are a lot older but Again not necessary - I would miss them too much!
Grateful thanks for any help!

propatria Thu 31-Jan-13 12:21:28

The accounts for MH are easily available ,I suggest you read them and get someone to explain them to you before you spout nonsense.

Narrie Thu 31-Jan-13 18:50:16

It seems it is always nonsense if you dont know about it propatria. Well, lets wait and see shall we? I have it on very good authority that there are problems.

As someone else said, the picture regarding schools in Devon will be very different when the OP's DC reach school age.

Narrie Sun 03-Feb-13 11:33:18

A little off topic here but as St. Margaret’s has been mentioned. Let’s have a thought for the teachers in that school. Everyone probably sympathises with the pupils, especially year 10 who will find their GCSE to some extent disrupted, although at least three schools have offered to take them and Woodard has offered them Kings Taunton too. At least one of those schools will have a GCSE curriculum which matches their needs I know.

The teachers however will be redundant at the end of the year. I believe the timing of this is in no way accidental. I am not sure but I would imagine, like most independent schools, the teachers have to give one full terms notice. This means they will have to stay at the school until the bitter end. They cannot go and find other jobs, even though a number of posts are currently available (but they are all Easter start or sooner in common with state school rules of giving notice before half term).

Just a thought for those teachers who I feel for. I have been in a similar position several years ago when a school I was in closed. It was difficult times.
The pupils will all find somewhere no matter how temporarily upsetting the move may be. The teachers may well not.

sniggy01 Fri 08-Feb-13 21:49:46

Just been looking through this as I live in Exeter. In case anyone is interested St Margarets has an upper sixth this year - my friends daughter is there. There is no lower sixth as there wasn't enough take up initially.
Children are registering with other schools as fast as they can which will mean places at other schools will be tight this year until it all settles down. Parents are taking up free places in local primary schools and my ads attend Exeter Cathedral School - a really lovely school which hasn't been mentioned and I can't recommend highly enough - the 5 yr old has had 5 girls doing taster days this week and the 10yr old almost as many.

Devonlass1 Tue 10-Jun-14 10:30:39

bet you feel a little silly now? MH is merging as it would have closed otherwise.....

propatria Tue 10-Jun-14 10:55:37

Lets just wait and see shall we...

watchdog4 Sat 14-Jun-14 09:01:13

I'm going to Exeter Cathedral today for their school fete. The weather looks great for this. I'm going with my friend whose son (my godson) is a chorister there; lately there's been a problem with the school boarding, fortunately my godson is a dayboy . I don't know what exactly but two choristers had stepped down due to this boarding problems. So much pressure for my godson to perform and he is not even at the top of the choir. I'm going to give him support for today's Evensong. So, there's so much pressure just to get that discounted fees for prep school. Is it worth it?

narries Mon 16-Jun-14 11:34:49

Re MH - I would have thought this thread dead, but as its here, I didnt want to be the one to say I told you so. I am clearly not. Thanks Devonlass1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now