(13 Posts)
PlaySchool Sun 09-Dec-12 16:31:27

Oh! Thanks drummer

noteventhebestdrummer Sat 08-Dec-12 21:07:15

White Anglo Saxon Protestant

TheSecondComing Fri 07-Dec-12 10:43:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dottydoolittle Fri 07-Dec-12 10:28:34

Again a vote for Kings here! Fantastic school where is academic without being too pushy but also great with sport and music. There are so many opportunities available for the kids that it's difficult not to be happy there. All sorts of children find their niche.

I've heard cheadle is very competitive. Kids know exactly their academic positioning in the year which I guess might suit some children but perhaps not others. Having said that, I know some families who are very happy there.

Stockport also has good reputation.

Its a great area to live with some excellent schools. If you want countryside, a lot of Kings kids come from the Buxton direction.

Good luck with your decision!

superpushymum Fri 07-Dec-12 09:32:04

Ps Stockport grammar is nice but admissions are exam based. Also the location is not great. I would go for Alderley.

superpushymum Fri 07-Dec-12 09:20:22

Loretto and Alty Girls are both state grammars. You have to be a strict catholic to get into Loretto or at least pretend to be one. Both oversubscribed and got small catchment and virtually unheard of taking students in mid year. Just saying ...

PlaySchool Fri 07-Dec-12 08:12:45

What does WASP mean?

HidingFromDD Fri 07-Dec-12 07:05:39

Kings is lovely. Pm me if you'd like more information (and on the other 2 as well)

noteventhebestdrummer Fri 07-Dec-12 06:29:42

Kings is lovely, makes an enormous effort with all kind of kids. I think Stockport is fine but on the boring side and Cheadle is fine but looks almost entirely WASP which is odd, given the location...

carocaro Thu 06-Dec-12 20:22:17

Kings is good, very academic focused, some say Cheadle Hulme is not as good as it used to be, Stockport Gammar no idea sorry!

alyanj Thu 06-Dec-12 15:01:25

Thanks for the info - unfortunately we won't have definite information about the move until ed of January so will miss the good state schools. Do you anything know about the co-ed private schools - Kings, Macclesfield, Cheadle Hulme, Stockport Grammar?

carocaro Thu 06-Dec-12 13:56:17

Come to Knutsford in Cheshire! Fab place to live, great school, Knutsford Academy is excellent, brilliant with arts & photography, languages amongst other things. 6th form is particularly brilliant. The care and nuturing of pupils is really good. Cheshire East is the local council re: admissions, they do take in year admits. Great community feel here and you are so near to everything, 1.5 hours to the Lakes, 2 hrs to London on the train. Lots of after school/hobbies, arts, music, dancing etc etc. M6 10 mins away. For private schools there is Loretto in Altrincham, and Altrincham Grammer school for girls, Alderley Edge school for girls - all good.

alyanj Wed 05-Dec-12 15:11:24

We are possibly moving back to the UK after 10 years in the USA. 2 daughters will be entering 6th form and year 8. Both ae currently at private co-ed quaker schools - very inclusive, friendly, community based. It will be a BIG cultural shift for them so I am looking for schools that will be accepting and nurturing rather than academic hot-houses. Older one very academic and artistic (into social justice issues and photography), younger one more shy and passionate about music, ballet and animals!
We're hoping to live outside the city - maybe towards the Peak District but feel very overwhelmed as we don't know the area. Any advice will be very welcome. I've read good things about Stockport Grammar and Cheadle Hulme - I'm assuming we'll be too late to get into good state schools as we won't have an address until much later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now