What some teachers have to deal with .....

(49 Posts)
TalkinPeace2 Tue 04-Dec-12 18:27:14

Just checking out a school website / Dfee information for DH.
I have never seen this on the web page of a Primary school before

Attendance
The class with the best attendance each week will be awarded £2.50 to put towards enrichment activities at the end of the year. We colour band our attendance
Gold = 95%-100%
Green = 90% - 95%
Amber = 80-90%
Red = Below 80%
Please arrive on time for school. Children need to be in the line at 8:55am. School starts at 9:00am. School finishes at 3:15pm
Please be on time to collect your child.
When your child has a medical or dental appointment, it is important that you bring the appointment card to the School Office to confirm the absence from school

It makes me realise how cushy even the rougher schools round here are!

BoundandRebound Tue 04-Dec-12 18:31:58

I don't understand what you're pointing out sorry

Greensleeves Tue 04-Dec-12 18:32:35

what?

BoundandRebound Tue 04-Dec-12 18:34:17

By which I mean that's just an attendance policy which is pretty standard, apart from the money, in all schools.

I was honestly expecting this to be about children throwing chairs at teachers, brandishing knives, hitting out you know, the type of stuff that teachers do actually have to deal with in some schools

pELFicFloorClenchReminder Tue 04-Dec-12 18:35:56

I thought it was going to be a complaint about parents!

TalkinPeace2 Tue 04-Dec-12 18:36:20

80% class attendance - in a Primary. ....
Do you really think that is normal?
Schools get heavy grief from Ofsted if it goes under 95%
And demanding proof for medical appointments - have you ever had to do that?

This school has over 50% FSM

BeataNoxPotter Tue 04-Dec-12 18:38:28

I'm sure they have a further policy for persistent absence, but prefer to highlight the positive on their website for prospective parents.

Not keen on the money incentive, however. It's neither here nor there and won't fund much of an 'enrichment activity'. Which should be available to all pupils anyway, not on a class by class basis. One persistent absentee would mean that a whole class never gets the reward.

MirandaWest Tue 04-Dec-12 18:38:44

Because it says levels of attendance down to below 80% it doesn't mean that many do have levels that low.

Greensleeves Tue 04-Dec-12 18:39:50

The figure is presumably for individual children and individual classes, not the school as a whole. There are many reasons why a child's attendance drops, it does not necessarily mean they are "rough".

Greensleeves Tue 04-Dec-12 18:40:54

Oh, FSM. Clearly the children are all feral then biscuit

BeataNoxPotter Tue 04-Dec-12 18:41:34

No, it's not normal, or desirable, but it might be pretty good for that school and I'm sure the SMT are keen to drive it upwards. They perhaps can't drive it up as fast as Ofsted would like, that's all. Amber and Red no doubt trigger some AO involvement - I would hope so, anyway.

FestiveWench Tue 04-Dec-12 18:42:09

Even children in middle class areas can have 80% attendance.
MC children have serious illnesses too ...

TalkinPeace2 Tue 04-Dec-12 18:43:05

Greensleeves - the children are not feral - the parents are.
As per my OP, it is per class - I presume to get peer pressure to make people come in.

Its the proof for medical appointments that really surprised me - does your school ask for that?

BeataNoxPotter Tue 04-Dec-12 18:44:55

It does, yes. From everyone, so as not to stigmatise the PAs.

BeataNoxPotter Tue 04-Dec-12 18:49:07

Is there not a separate link to the Attendance Policy?

ihearsounds Tue 04-Dec-12 18:50:53

Yes all the primary and secondary schools my dc's have attended have had to provide evidence of medical appointments.
This is nothing new. When I was in school in the 80's, proof of appointments was needed.

Aside from the financial incentive I fail to see the problem.

Greensleeves Tue 04-Dec-12 18:52:24

the parents are feral? Do you know them all?

Have another biscuit. They're free.

BeataNoxPotter Tue 04-Dec-12 18:56:49

% FSM means precisely zip. You can't tell from that where the money is being targeted, what pastoral/mentor skills are being used behind the scenes to enable attendance to improve (being 'feral' not being a precise measurement of the various barriers to attendance many families face) or how good a school is overall.

TalkinPeace2 Tue 04-Dec-12 18:58:59

fair enough.
I clearly live in far too cushy an area
bye

TheDreadedFoosa Tue 04-Dec-12 18:59:10

Our primary schools has the same sort of thing (though not the financial incentive, which as has been said is neither here nor there).

So you would assume feral parenting here too?

You might be right, but its a fantastic school, very well regarded.

You've over-thought this one...

TheDreadedFoosa Tue 04-Dec-12 19:00:04

Lol@ op. You ninnyhamer.

SunflowersSmile Tue 04-Dec-12 19:00:12

Sounds fine to me...

dinkybinky Tue 04-Dec-12 19:02:02

Its a sad day when you have to bribe children to attend school. Take them to India for a week and show them children desperate for a chance to have an education.

Amblin Tue 04-Dec-12 19:02:44

that wont cost &2.50 and to be honest its like saying " they are starving in cambodia"

Amblin Tue 04-Dec-12 19:03:13

loads of jobs have financial incentives to encourage team work etc

is that bribery too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now