Can someone with dyslexia learn punctuation?

(33 Posts)
Niceweather Sun 02-Dec-12 16:01:05

DS is Yr8. Despite his difficulties with writing, he is a good writer and has a flair for language. He has written something for English that I doubt will get above a Level 4. If he could only put in the punctuation correctly, it would probably be a Level 6 - the content and vocabulary is good. I don't think he can ever be a good speller but can he learn punctuation?

MariscallRoad Thu 27-Dec-12 13:55:49

Play- electronic engineering - he is doing great! PM me if you wish.

Dyslexics and those with SLDs can have a v high ability. There are others like him.

PlaySchool Fri 28-Dec-12 17:12:07

Brilliant!

I have auditory processing disorder but I have still managed A-Levels, degree, Masters and a good job. I think these SpLDs can hold people back but it doesn't mean that people with them are not talented. I do worry about my DSs though.

MariscallRoad Mon 31-Dec-12 11:26:12

Same here: DS is diagnosed too with auditory processing problem but he did fantastic in 6 A Levels. He is in the v superior scale of ability (top 1%) . A SLDs does not stop people being gifted. Do plan ahead for your DSs with what they want to do and study/. There are ways to deal with SLDs and an Ed Ps would advise well.
I found this article from Yale very good: paradox-of-dyslexia-slow-reading-fast-thinking

PM me if you wish.

HelpOneAnother Mon 31-Dec-12 11:47:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MariscallRoad Mon 31-Dec-12 14:22:14

HelpOneAnother I am pleased with your comment. Often, a person with dyslexia and SLDs will also have special abilities and talents associated with superior visual-spatial skills. A diagnostic assessment report by an ed ps is set out according to guidelines by DfES 2005. Results will include a breakdown of several components and the IQ and strategies to follow; which is extremely useful. Usually a parent funds the diagnosis because NHS does not fund it. But certain universities will fund the cost of an Ed Ps for their students - as in my DS case.

Some times there several SLDs are present in the same person and this information here by Imperial C is v good.

MariscallRoad Tue 08-Jan-13 14:35:06

bump

You ok mariscal? What's up?

nataliabuckler Fri 28-Mar-14 06:46:40

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now