NQT recruited as head of department

(35 Posts)
hardboiled Thu 29-Nov-12 09:44:06

If you were considering a school and saw that they had recruited a NQT as head of one of the sciences departments, would that worry you? Or am I just being narrow minded?

LoopsInHoops Fri 30-Nov-12 14:27:38

HoD means different things in different schools, but likely he is the only, or only full time biology teacher, and therefore has control of the biology paperwork. Actual departmental stuff would be handled by the HoF.

hardboiled Fri 30-Nov-12 14:44:13

I see, if he is the only biology teacher he would be HoD anyway. Thank you.

LoopsInHoops Fri 30-Nov-12 15:03:35

Yep, probably. A big, core subject like Science is usually too much for one person. Some schools will have a HoF and at least one deputy, others will have HoDs for Bio, Phys and Chem, then a HoF to oversee the actual running of dept (HoDs do things like curriculum updates, schemes of work etc. )

MistressIggi Fri 30-Nov-12 15:20:19

hmm

EvilTwins Fri 30-Nov-12 19:13:52

The Head of Music at my school is an NQT. She's also amazing, inspiring and hardworking. She's the only music teacher (small secondary) and reports to me, as Head of Performing Arts. As subject leader, she takes responsibility for schemes of work etc and runs the extra curricular stuff and peri lessons. I do all the grade analysis etc, as that's my job as the overall Head of Drama and Music. I don't see the problem.

almapudden Fri 30-Nov-12 19:39:01

I am a HOD in a department that consists solely of me. Next year I am getting a minion grin, I can't wait!

GrendelsMum Fri 30-Nov-12 19:44:53

Logging on to say what LoopsInHoops said but she's already said it smile

I don't think that you can possibly tell somebody's age from a picture. Particularly some men. I work with one woman who is older than me and continually mistaken for somebody 5-10 yrs younger (grrh) and another man who looks 10 years younger - at least.

bakingaddict Fri 30-Nov-12 20:36:30

Sounds to me like he was possibly a lecturer at university but beyond a PhD, I dont think they need formal teaching qualifications.

Maybe he has done his PGCE in order to teach in secondary schools but actually has lots of years teaching undergrads at uni. I hear tenure as a university lecturer is quite hard hence the career change into a secondary school with more chances of promotion

Mutteroo Mon 03-Dec-12 08:47:18

A friend did her PGCE at age 34 and was immediately snapped up as a head of art at a large senior school. I was surprised but knew how talented my friend was so didn't doubt she'd be an excellent department head. Eight years on and she's a Deputy head at the same school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now