Must visit Museums and art galleries

(69 Posts)
Gunznroses Sun 25-Nov-12 20:26:07

I would like to take dc (11 and 9)to visit some educational places, so far we've been to the natural science and History museums, we've been to the Tate modern ds1 thoroughly enjoyed the works of Damien Hirst.Im trying to make a list of more places to visit but there seems to be so many museums (some miles away and dont seem worth the journey).

I dont mind a couple of hrs drive but want to seem something worthwhile at the end and not just some old broken crockery from medieval times iyswim. There are some very small museums but that contain very interesting things like the Lowewood museum in hoddesdon. Ive also just spotted "Roald dahl museum in aylesbury, anyone been there ?

Can anyone recommend a list of interesting museums or art galleries that they have been to that would really add value educationally and isint just a few dustry old cups sprinkled around followed by a visit to the tea and cake shop grin

dotty2 Wed 28-Nov-12 16:27:41

Yes, sorry to put in such a negative note. I work in the sector and it's great to see so many people passionate about their favourite museums.

BrittaPerry Wed 28-Nov-12 15:58:08

I know, I've been joining in with some of the campaign for the libraries :-( Up to 100% cut to the arts budget too. It's a bloody disgrace. Don't want to derail the thread, but yeah, it's awful.

dotty2 Wed 28-Nov-12 15:01:52

BrittaPerry - I love the Newcastle museums. Sadly, the City Council - which up to now has been a fantastic supporter of their museums - has just announced a 50% cut in their funding. Museums, as discretionary services (that is - councils don't have to provide them) are going to suffer in the ongoing public sector cuts. So go quickly before the effects start to show, and try and make a fuss on their behalf if you can.

YDdraigGoch Wed 28-Nov-12 14:45:32

Also great for kids is the National History Museum in St Fagan's, near Cardiff. It's a big park where they've reconstructed traditional style cottages and houses from all over Wales, from very old to quite modern. You can go in them all and see how people used to live, and there are always craft and cooking demonstrations going on. Take a picnic and eat it in the grounds. Its free too.

EldritchCleavage Wed 28-Nov-12 12:37:53

This is a really good thread. It belongs in Classics.

MotherSouperior Wed 28-Nov-12 00:37:20

Oh, Spockster. I went to Thinktank (the Science Museum) and thought it was one of the circles of hell. Everything chucked in together & so farking dark. DS loved the exhibits, I must say but it's such a mess of a place - it reminded me of my dad's shed...

Agree with others here about Foundling Museum, which is v interesting but had me trying not to sob as I went round it.

Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery itself though, is fantastic - one of the best collections of Pre-Raphaelite art in the country (for free, cf the Tate's current - very good - exhibition), fantastic hands-on activity rooms for the kids and really friendly gallery staff, who talked to DS about all the paintings and what he could see. He was 3 at the time, so they had their work cut out but he absolutely loved it. Can't recommend that gallery enough.

overthehill Wed 28-Nov-12 00:34:51

If you do decide to check out the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, why not also visit the nearby National Coal Mining Museum? It's a very interesting free museum that includes a trip down into a real mine and the staff are very friendly and helpful. And between Rotherham and Sheffield there's also Magna Science Centre based in a steel works that has a great water park for the warmer months.

BrittaPerry Wed 28-Nov-12 00:16:38

Oh! Totally forgot The Baltic - if he liked the Tate Modern, the Baltic would be brill.

BrittaPerry Wed 28-Nov-12 00:14:10

If you ever make it up to the north east...
Life Science Centre
Seven Stories childrens books museum
Discovery Museum, Newcastle
Great North Museum
Segedunum Roman Fort
Durham Cathedral

There are more, but they should last you a few days grin

joanbyers Wed 28-Nov-12 00:02:48
fapl Tue 27-Nov-12 23:32:08

Another gory one, Old Operating Theatre Museum and Herb Garret near London Bridge www.thegarret.org.uk/ (so pleased not to have given birth in Victorian times, instruments are grim)

Tower Bridge Exhibition. I love the bridge and really enjoyed seeing it from a different perspective with a bit of history included
www.towerbridge.org.uk

sicutlilium Tue 27-Nov-12 21:24:08

Assume if you're in Hertfordshire you've done Verulamium to death.
Bletchley: www.bletchleypark.org.uk/
Chilterns Open Air Museum: www.coam.org.uk/
Old Operating Theatre & Herb Garret: www.thegarret.org.uk/
Sutton House - National Trust Tudor house in Hackney: www.nationaltrust.org.uk/sutton-house/
Geffrye Museum: www.geffrye-museum.org.uk/

TheWave Tue 27-Nov-12 13:44:24

If you are doing Wallace Collection as mentioned above, combine with something like brunch in the lovely cafe as a treat (fairly pricey so check website beforehand) and then go shopping in Oxford Street while you are up in town.

Saracen Tue 27-Nov-12 13:36:36

Thumbs up to Soanes Museum! Free Monday mornings IIRC.

MaggieW Tue 27-Nov-12 09:06:48

Soanes museum in Lincolns Inn Field, London. Small house museum which is stuffed full of interesting things that you can get right up close to. They do candlelit evenings too, which I'm planning to go to. Very eccentric but fun.

happygardening Tue 27-Nov-12 07:39:49

The Satchi gallery is one of our favourite especially if you're already a fan of Tate modern. The Lowrey museum in Manchester is really worth visiting as the paintings are simply stunning in real life and very accessible for children.

EduCated Mon 26-Nov-12 23:34:08

Best Museum in the World has to be the Melbourne Museum. It has an actual forest in it. Way way cool.

But that's a bit far away wink

Spockster Mon 26-Nov-12 23:25:28

Science museum at millennium point in Brum is FAB, better than science museum London for a littlies as less big and scary. Hove museum great for toys and activities. Museum of Childhood near Chesterfield I'd very good too.

ISeeSmallPeople Mon 26-Nov-12 23:18:21

BikeRunSki Lucky you! It's a lovely part of the country,and an amazing park.
I love taking mine to see sculpture, particularly large non breakable ones! Kew often gets in some lovely large works on loan, the current display looks like wood but is metal.

hardboiled Mon 26-Nov-12 23:00:59

All the above in London, but if they like art, we have also spent hours at the National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery and Tate Gallery with a sketch book and a pencil. National Gallery runs good art workshops too every weekend - lasting about 2 hours max.

BikeRunSki Mon 26-Nov-12 23:00:05

ISeeSmallPeople I live three miles away, I am a Friend and am there at least once a week. DS has a very precocious understanding of modern sculpture for a 4 yo offspring of two scientists!

Pyrrah Mon 26-Nov-12 23:00:03

Adds Tring to Museums to Visit list...

I should probably worry about my daughter's interest in the ghoulish - I have managed to convince her that she wouldn't really enjoy the London Dungeons, although she did like the Clink.

One that I think is a bit of a disappointment is the V&A Museum of Childhood - especially since it's not the easiest to get to.

The Weald & Downland Open Air Museum is fabulous - I haven't been in donkeys, but loved it as a teenager.

Oooh, Bodiam Castle - amazing place and the biggest goldfish in the world in the moat. We told my brother that they ate children who fell in and he was scared of it for years.

AuntySib Mon 26-Nov-12 22:53:07

Stansted Mountfitchet ( medieval village plus dinosuars and a toy museum) M11
Science Museum
Steam M<useum - Kew
Bodiam castle ( Tenterden station, then steam train to castle)
Geffrye museum
Museum of London ( not too big)
RAF Museum, hendon
Sutton House (Hackney?)
St Albans Roman Museum

ISeeSmallPeople Mon 26-Nov-12 22:48:49

BikeRunSki it's lovely isn't it? We drive up & down that way regularly & only recently took the detour.

ISeeSmallPeople Mon 26-Nov-12 22:47:58

If you can spend a couple of days away

Bristol - SS Great Britain is amazing, as is @Bristol

Black Country museum in Dudley or Beamish in County Durham are very similar. The mine at Beamish is staffed by ex miners, & love to talk about what it was actually like working in a mine from experience, rather than having learnt about it for the tours.

York - ignore Yorkvik, or go really early or pay extra to prebook. It's nice, but we queued for almost 2 hours, & came out 15 minutes later, wondering if that was it! The National Railway Museum however is fabulous, and free. The Yorkshire Sculpture Park is well worth the detour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now