When should we move house?

(7 Posts)
MrsJamin Mon 26-Nov-12 06:02:22

Yeah I would go now if you can.

Elizabeth22 Sat 24-Nov-12 20:19:39

Thanks that's really helpful

crazymum53 Sat 24-Nov-12 15:49:57

Children start school the September before their 5th birthday so most children are aged 4 when they start. The best time to move is before you apply for a reception place.
You need a definite address in the new area before you can apply for a school place and this may take some time. I would also start doing some research now about the demand for school places in your new area.
If you are only moving a short distance away he could stay at the same nursery as this does not effect school admissions.

tricot39 Sat 24-Nov-12 13:28:09

You should look to move asap. It can take a long time and make applications difficult.

Elizabeth22 Sat 24-Nov-12 13:24:06

Thanks for your reply!

housesalehelp Fri 23-Nov-12 21:16:07

when is his birthday - april? if its before end of august - he will start school in september 2014 - you need to apply in jan 2014 and depending how full the schools are in your area you normally need to be living near where you want him to go school at that point - however you can move schools after they start - but if the schools are very full you may get less choice

Elizabeth22 Fri 23-Nov-12 21:10:00

At some point, we'd like to move house to be closer to my parents. When is a good age to move with regards to schools? My DS is settled in a very good nursery - He is 2 and a half. He will get his 15 free hours in 6 mos time. The schools are oversubscribed and hit/miss. We are quite close to the reasonable one. What age do they start school - is it five? Does it depend on when their birthday is? (I apologise if this all very obvious stuff but I'm totally clueless about it all works.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now