Is their a 'Trip Advisor' for schools?

(13 Posts)
ItsRainingOutside Wed 28-Nov-12 17:02:45

Good Schools Guide. Costs £29.99 at the moment and full of very valuable information. BTW it is huge and weighs a ton!

figroll Mon 26-Nov-12 17:49:09

Also, there are so many bogus reports on Trip Advisor from the restaurants themselves trying to boost their rating. Although having said that, I can't imagine teachers being all that concerned about a school's rating in the same way!! May be the headteachers would start putting bogus reviews?!

I have to agree with Mrs Shackleton - the number of people grumbling about the school where my dds went was phenomenal, yet they both loved it.

mrsshackleton Mon 26-Nov-12 16:29:12

I don't think a TripAdvisor would work, people's views of schools are so biased, depending on how their child is progressing/being treated. You'd get people with huge secret agendas writing overly positive and negative reviews

alreadytaken Mon 26-Nov-12 15:22:33

you will not get honest opinions from anyone with a child at the school, unless they know you well. Ask someone whose child has just left and who has no younger children.

maisiejoe123 Mon 26-Nov-12 11:20:34

Good Schools Guide. The book is expensive, however you can subscribe online for a few pounds a month.

PurpleHeadedMountain Sat 24-Nov-12 00:23:59

I have never found anything to top mumsnet. There SHOULD be a tripadvisor for schools, it's a great idea...

OhDearConfused Fri 23-Nov-12 16:15:32

Isn't this (Mumsnet) the site you need? Its where I do my research!

harryhausen Fri 23-Nov-12 13:31:36

Yeah, I am a bit early! It's just I'm in South Bristol and on the border of N. Somerset so I'm just having early musings about which way to go. Not a great selection in S. Bristol so an early think may be needed.

harryhausen Fri 23-Nov-12 13:29:02

Thanks tiggytape, I didn't see that. The patents at my school often don't fill in questionnaire's so I doubt they'd leave a rating on Ofsted. I may have a look for the other schools though.

tiggytape Fri 23-Nov-12 13:28:39

The first term in Year 3 might be a bit early to start looking for full feedback. Schools can change a lot in 4 years. It is good to get a general idea of which schools you are able to get into (based on catchment) and see what they are like especially if you plan to move house before secondary stage.

tiggytape Fri 23-Nov-12 13:26:40

There is a Parent View section on the Ofsted site but it only rates various aspects of a school (no written feedback) and only goes live when enough parents have responded.

harryhausen Fri 23-Nov-12 13:18:50

Sorry for the 'don't seem'....awful grammer. Can't seem to edit from my phone.

harryhausen Fri 23-Nov-12 13:17:56

Does anyone know off a 'Trip Advisor' type website for schools?

I know I can look up any school on Ofsted, but I mean more of a parent review site for the day to day view of a school? I've found Schoolsnet.com, but there don't seem to be many reviews there. Is that just that people don't bother to post or do they not know about it? Basically, have I missed a large site somewhere where lots of parents have contributed.

My eldest dc is only in Y3 but already I'm musing about secondary schools. I'll visit as many as I can, but I'm aware that an open day will be a bit of a 'show'. It would be great to know actual views from parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now