How long does it take from Ofsted inspection to finding out what a schools grade is?

(24 Posts)
MirandaWest Tue 06-Nov-12 20:03:45

DCs school is being inspected this week (today and tomorrow). Was wondering how long it takes for the school to find out, and then when parents get told. I realise getting it on the website takes a bit longer.

roisin Tue 06-Nov-12 20:13:19

The school get some very rudimentary feedback on the day that the inspectors leave. But they're not allowed to publish that or announce it in any way.

Unless there are problems (ie if the school contests the draft report), then it is supposed to be published within 2 weeks (not including school holidays). and copies should go home to parents then.

Meglet Tue 06-Nov-12 20:17:00

When the DC's nursery were assessed they knew how they had done on the day but couldn't tell a soul until the official report came through a couple of weeks later.

PandaNot Tue 06-Nov-12 20:17:44

10 working days usually.

lljkk Tue 06-Nov-12 20:21:32

I want to say typically 2 weeks. Up to 6 weeks for the full report to be made available.

ihearsounds Tue 06-Nov-12 20:33:51

Not long. But you do realise that they arent really worth the paper, imho, they are written on. The school know in advance of visit.

DameEnidsOrange Tue 06-Nov-12 20:35:53

Is that the same with an academy does anyone know?

Ihear they only get half a days notice now.

tiggytape Tue 06-Nov-12 21:22:03

Yes - it is the same with an academy.
The school get feedback on the day but cannot communicate this to parents. The report can take about a month to actually get on the website (even if it is a good or outstanding grade). If it is a poor grade it can take longer because the school may challenge it.

The school do get some notice so can tie up loose ends / put on a bit of a good show but if fundamentally the teachers don't mark books or the planning is awful 1 or 2 days is not going to help any. Generally the notice period is considered just enough to panic everyone but not long enough to drastically improve anything that isn't already O.K.

MirandaWest Tue 06-Nov-12 21:32:44

Thank you everyone. I realise that Ofsted reports don't necessarily bear much resemblence to reality but can't help being interested smile

The letter we got yesterday from school containing the lead inspector's letter suggested that the school found out yesterday as it was dated yesterday and said "we have just told your child's school that we will inspect it..."

letseatgrandma Tue 06-Nov-12 22:04:49

The school know in advance of visit.

The school don't know the verdict before Ofsted have arrived!

redskyatnight Wed 07-Nov-12 08:32:15

Don't know if it is standard but DD's school got phone call from Ofsted at 1pm on the day before they came in i.e. half a day's notice.

TalkinPeace2 Wed 07-Nov-12 14:53:39
DanFmDorking Wed 07-Nov-12 15:15:20

The OFSTED inspector will (probably / almost certainly) tell the Head straight away about the overall grade (Grade 1 Outstanding, Grade 2 Good, Grade 3 Satisfactory, Grade 4 Inadequate). After that, the Head will probably not make a public announcement until the Governors and Staff are formally told, (probably in a staff meeting). Then, probably, a letter will go out to pupils / parents (all interested parties) within a day or so announcing the result. You may then obtain the full report from the school.

If there is a longer delay I would be guessing the school is disputing some of the report's findings. The report will eventually appear on the OFSTED web site after about four to six weeks.

teacherwith2kids Wed 07-Nov-12 21:19:20

The amount of warning has changed with effect from September 2012.

Schools are now only told the day before, any time from midday up to the end of the school day.

After the inspection, the result cannot be announced 'properly' to parents for at least a couple of weeks - the draft report is submitted and may be moderated, and the school can also dispute it and give feedback, and all this must happen before a formal notice goes out to parents.

The Head and Chair of Governors should get a very good indication oif the result at the end of the inspection, and depending on how discreet the head is, a coded indication of this result will usually be communicated to staff almost immediately. However this result is not 'official' until the inspection report actually comes out. This is to avoid the situation of a result being communicated but then being changed after Ofsted internal moderation or through schools challenging the outcome.

A longer timescale may not indicate any kind of 'real' issue. Our inspection report had a material error of fact in it [it didn't relate to, or influence, the outcome of the report - it was about the precise age range the school covered - but it was nevertheless clearly wrong] so there was some to-ing and fro-ing to get it changed.

teacherwith2kids Wed 07-Nov-12 21:20:18

Dan, the Satisfactory grading has also disappeared wef September 2012. It has been replaced with 'Requires Improvement'.

DanFmDorking Wed 07-Nov-12 21:41:08

teacher - ooops - yes, you're right - sorry.

MirandaWest Fri 09-Nov-12 12:53:45

Had school newsletter today which mentioned the inspection and says as soon as they receive confirmation from Ofsted we will be told the grading.

webwiz Fri 09-Nov-12 13:10:10

DS's school had an Ofsted inspection on 10th and 11th October. The grade was certainly alluded to by the end of the 11th as DS told me what it was! The report dated 23rd October was on the school website soon after that date and we got a letter confirming the outcome from the head.

Ruprekt Fri 17-Jan-14 18:15:21

I know this thread is old but.....

We had Ofsted in November and still, as staff, do not know the result! angryangryangryangryangry

SapphireMoon Sat 18-Jan-14 14:40:58

It must be being disputed Ruprekt....
Unfortunately not a good sign...

Littlefish Sat 18-Jan-14 20:21:19

I agree with sapphire - it means that the school is disputing the OFSTED judgement, which I've only ever known to happen when a school has moved into "requires improvement" or one of the other lower categories.

Ruprekt Sun 19-Jan-14 09:43:17

angryangryangry

Thought as much.

titchy Sun 19-Jan-14 10:39:00

Our school disputed its good last year - felt it should have had outstanding!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now