Areas where state schools are better than private?

(538 Posts)
Narrie Mon 29-Oct-12 09:45:42

Does anyone live in an area where the state schools are really better than the private ones? I picked this up elsewhere but am afraid to comment there.

I have lived and worked in the Midlands where there are few private schools to choose but the state schools are not very good. I have lived in Nottingham, where again I felt the state schools were poor.

Even in London there were some awful schools and private was best.

I currently live in Cornwall having got here working in Exeter, Plymouth and Barnstaple. None of the state schools were good there.

Just wondered where the good state provision is. Is it just odd schools within a mass of poor provision or are there really whole areas where state schools are better?

Thanks.

(PS I have my own DC in a boarding school partly because of the state schooling and partly because we move around so much)

GrimmaTheNome Thu 08-Nov-12 11:07:45

Yes... the 'career planning' I was dubious about is the sort which isn't following a passion but maybe more pushed by parents/teachers ...the 'if you do these subjects you'll stand a better chance of Oxbridge/RG place' type of thing.

MordionAgenos Thu 08-Nov-12 10:51:42

@Grimma while I completely agree that people should above all else pick A level subjects they are good at and enjoy (and indeed, the same with GCSE subjects, the insistence that very bright children should all do triple science 'because that's what clever children do' seems ludicrous to me) I know many people who followed their passion - which they identified in their teens. Thinking about it, I don't know anybody who has 'followed their passion' who didn't identify it while they were at school. Most of the people I know who are doing meh, drudgey jobs which don't fulfill them (either on purpose because they have never lived to work, but rather work to live, or by sad accident) fell into them after uni often partly because they didn't really think about it when selecting A levels.

DD1 has known what she wants to do since she was about 8. And it seems fair enough. DD2 assures me she knows what she wants to do (she is 9) but personally I'm not convinced it's a viable life plan grin. DS on the other hand has no idea so I am being very careful to encourage him to identify what he enjoys and is good at rather than just following the herd. Not that A levels will be happening any time soon for him, he's only in Y8.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 08-Nov-12 10:36:16

>I picked things I liked and was good at.
so did I and it worked out just fine...I'm not sure that everyone who starts career planning in their teens always ends up as fulfilled as those who follow their passion.

Lancelottie Thu 08-Nov-12 10:27:50

Well, quite, Grimma.

Our list of 6th forms to consider includes an agricultural college, a technology college and a drama school. I don't suppose anyone from there will go to Oxbridge (though I could be wrong) but they surely have a high chance of fulfilling their own ambitions, and these may not be entirely chosen in order to give hypothetical future daughters a private education.

I didn't consider my possible future children when picking my A-levels, as I never expected to have any. I picked things I liked and was good at. Oh dear. Tough luck kids!

GrimmaTheNome Thu 08-Nov-12 10:02:16

Funny how an OP asking about good schools has ended up as a thread about getting into a good university, like that's all that a school needs to do in order for us to rate it well.

Our local comp sends many children on to 6th form college, from where lots will go onto university of one type or another. But others will go to what seems like a rather excellent college which does 16-18 as well as higher qualifications in all sorts of useful subjects - especially in this rural area - farming, tree surgery, horticulture, vetinary nursing, etc etc etc.

Depending on your child, they might be far better taking this route into a solid, useful trade rather than going to the sort of school which focuses on getting university places, maybe gets hothoused in and then scrapes a poor degree.

seeker Thu 08-Nov-12 08:51:42

Oh, good. I do qualify after all! grin

MordionAgenos Thu 08-Nov-12 08:44:35

To be fair Exeter has one of the very top business schools (for undergrads)- has had for decades. I doubt many of those students looked anywhere else as first choice, to be honest. Not least, because of provision.

Yellowtip Thu 08-Nov-12 08:19:39

Xenia is right about Exeter and St A., at least as a generalisation of where those two universities are perceived to be now. She didn't say you had to be dim as a necessary pre-requisite of getting in, just that the chances are that you're not quite up to the standard of Durham/ Imperial etc. Of course there are going to be zillions of exceptions to prove the rule, including lots who get offers from everywhere they apply to and choose Exeter or St A. over ones which are tougher to get into just for the sea air/ rah factor/ whatever.

They really are both pretty rah.

exoticfruits Thu 08-Nov-12 07:38:47

And Bath is 'a bit similar' - maybe that means not quite as posh as Exeter and St Andrews and maybe a bit brighter.

MordionAgenos Thu 08-Nov-12 07:22:24

Exeter and St Andrews. Apparently.

seeker Thu 08-Nov-12 07:19:24

Oh, was is Exeter that was for the posh but not very bright? Shame- I don't qualify after all.sad

exoticfruits Thu 08-Nov-12 07:11:52

It seems much the best way to me Arisbottle, I can't see why the future lawyer can't be educated with the future hairdresser or why you are called 'the dregs' if you happen to be artistic or practical rather the academic. Life would be rather fun if the lawyers had to get a friend to cut their hair! I prefer to get a good cut from someone who is skilled and loves their job.
I just love Xenia's summing up of universities 'Exeter for the posh but not so bright etc' - I think that sometimes I must live on a different planet! It is a shame if anyone takes it seriously and is put off places like Bath- (it isn't true, apart from possibly a small minority).

Mominatrix Thu 08-Nov-12 07:11:24

bucksfizzed, it also helps the child if the parent (mum in this case) employs him/her to boost her career. Nepotism is another aspect of the priviledge Xenia believes in.

bucksfizzed Wed 07-Nov-12 23:47:41

This thread has kept me laughing, nodding, shouting but I'm going to pick my fave

"Do as I did. I take 2 weeks holiday a year. I have not even had a maternity leave (I used holiday) over the last 28 years of being a mother. Not surprisingly I can afford school fees. We reap what we sow"

Fast fwd 20 odd years, and (as in my case), your dd may have jacked in her successful career, after attending a top RG uni, to be with her dc because she will have an entirely different understanding of what exactly has been 'reaped'. It's a very common story.

But hey, so long as they fly to the top eh? anything less wouldn't be a good return on investment

Arisbottle Wed 07-Nov-12 23:11:41

Xenia is talking offensive bollocks, I live and work in a grammar school area ,three of my children have been eligible for the grammar and only one went. Does that make the other 2 the dregs of society? I teach in a school in a grammar school area, every year we send students to Oxbridge as well as other top universities . Some of our students will be hairdressers, some will be mechanics others will be lawyers, politicians and medics.

boschy Wed 07-Nov-12 23:11:00

seeker I reckon I'm closer to you geographically than TOSN is, my 16 year old any good? loves reading, Robert Pattinson and all things Twilight, arguing about politics, acting, music (excellent taste!), is very soft-hearted and has the most gorgeous very shiny red hair...

MordionAgenos Wed 07-Nov-12 23:05:17

@happy just proving my point even further. Please do carry on. biscuit

TalkinPeace2 Wed 07-Nov-12 23:03:24

Looking at my handy downloaded Data set of KS2 results from the DFEE,
none of the schools in Xenia's got in the 30's for 5+EM - the lowest was the sports college that got 43%
admittedly it got 0% ebacc, but clearly Xenia is using a data set other than the accurate government one.

seeker Wed 07-Nov-12 22:59:08

Boschy and TOSN- my shiny floppy haired ds speaks very "southern nice". But he can speak Northern as well so he can fit in with his cousins. So, you girl owners, I'm taking sealed bids.........!

happygardening Wed 07-Nov-12 22:51:56

And let’s not forget this wonderful diet will also cure type 2 diabetes and prevent type 1 developing in children!!
Don’t know why those in the paleolithic era all died before 35!

rabbitstew Wed 07-Nov-12 22:47:19

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/education/1602658-So-Eton-everything-I-expected-and-more
for anyone interested in Xenia's views on diet and lifestyle.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Wed 07-Nov-12 22:42:55

Yay, and there would be no more MS!

rabbitstew Wed 07-Nov-12 22:41:30

We could all go back to our healthy, paleolithic diets and lifestyles, then, without having all the "talent" pushing us further into the digital age. grin (maybe you have to have read the Eton thread for this to make sense....)

rabbitstew Wed 07-Nov-12 22:38:44

These days it's hard to sell cream. Maybe we should cream off the best talent and then throw it away for being bad for everyone else's health?

rabbitstew Wed 07-Nov-12 22:37:48

Having just had a very quick look back to find where Xenia referred to dregs, I can't believe anyone didn't pull her up on the fact that she seems to think that "creaming off" something leaves behind dregs. If you took the cream off the milk, it was my impression you were left behind with lots of lovely, fresh milk with less fat in it, which most people these days prefer to the cream, not the dregs at the bottom of a wine bottle. So why justify "dregs" by arguing that people talk about "creaming off" the best talent all the time???????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now