Schools offering Chinese Mandarin

(80 Posts)
iloveiphone5 Sun 28-Oct-12 10:14:49

Would love to hear from anyone who knows of any schools (private or state, although that cld be rare) that offer Chinese Manadrin lessons as a core MFL subject or failing that, as extra curriculaum item? Preferably in the Herts, Cambs or Bucks regions or north London. With the economy in China / Asia booming ( and expected to continue to boom) and our own struggling economy in the EU, I am surprised that not more schools are offering Chinese. I really fail to see French or Latin or Greek being more important than Chinese for global business in the future. Why they are still on the curriculum i do not know. Controversial maybe - what do others think?

Copthallresident Sun 04-Nov-12 21:57:35

HamishBearThat's certainly true of my DDs. We had to move on from China because DH became too senior but my DDs would have gladly stayed in their International Schools which they loved, and their peers have done spectacularly in terms of universities. Both the top and middle tables of DD's Year 6 are now at Oxbridge/ Georgetown/ Yale /Medical School / UCL/ Warwick. All can't wait to get back to Asia.

I would also say that the acronym FILTH is an unkind way of referring to a perfectly effective HR strategy. We have plenty of friends who like us came reluctantly back to the UK because their careers advanced, but for some Asia is where they can best use their skills and abilities.

Hamishbear Sun 04-Nov-12 22:10:10

Interesting Copthall. Encouraging re: schools & final destination.

I know about the old stereotypes about those expats in Asia but increasingly it will become attractive I think. There's more competition for roles than ever previously & people are reluctant to leave. International schools have really raised their game & I think if things really get tough in UK & elsewhere in the West this popularity will increase.

racingheart Mon 05-Nov-12 11:26:55

Not read all replies so sorry if this has already been mentioned, but Hampton School in Middlesex offers it as a GCSE for boys who already excel in languages.

RGS Guildford offers it as an extra curricular subject - you pay for the lessons, I think, but boys can, privately, take it to GCSE via the school if they wish.

quoteunquote Tue 13-Nov-12 16:53:58

I know that there is a state school in Bath that offers chinese languages as an option.

I shall ask teacher friends where they recommend nearer to London, there are quite a few saturday schools around.

GRW Wed 14-Nov-12 08:08:20

Aylesbury High school for girls is a grammar school which offers Mandarin as an extra subject, and you can do it to GCSE level.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now