Should girls be allowed to wear trousers for school uniform? Do yours?

(150 Posts)
Legacy Mon 27-Mar-06 13:34:09

Prompted by the 'school council' thread - just wanted to get some feedback & thoughts here.

The girls at our infant school have requested to be able to wear smart school trousers as part of uninform, and the parents have been asked their opinion.

I don't see why not, so long as they're proper 'uniform' ones?

Anyone feel strongly opposed to the trousers for girls thing. If so, why? What haven't I considered.

I wear trousers nearly all the time myself, so it would be a bit hypocritical for me to say no!

Tinker Mon 27-Mar-06 13:35:37

Yes and yes to thread title

cece Mon 27-Mar-06 13:35:38

Definite YES.

My dd's school are allowed but for some bizarre reason she prefers skirts. GRrrrrrrrr

desperateSCOUSEwife Mon 27-Mar-06 13:36:25

legacy my dd3 high school is all girls
and they can wear trousers if they want too
have no objections

jmum6 Mon 27-Mar-06 13:36:33

Yes especially in winter when it's cold

foxinsocks Mon 27-Mar-06 13:36:43

dd wears them for school - especially in the winter term

there are some mums who don't like them and don't let their girls wear them

Senoracod Mon 27-Mar-06 13:36:49

why not
id nto send my kdis to one that s aid no

PiccadillyCircus Mon 27-Mar-06 13:36:53

Yes they should be able to.

Hulababy Mon 27-Mar-06 13:36:58

Yes, if that is what everyone primarily wants. But keep skirts as optional too. And stipulate style/colour of trousers if you want to keep the uniform part going.

brimfull Mon 27-Mar-06 13:37:08

yes to both

iota Mon 27-Mar-06 13:37:50

school trousers for girls very popular around here - all the schoolwear retailers ( Tesco, BHS, M&S, Asda,etc) sell them.

Calista Mon 27-Mar-06 13:38:26

Of course they should. V sexist and old fashioned of any school to insist that they wear skirts IMO.

Fimbo Mon 27-Mar-06 13:39:17

The girls at my dd's school wear trousers. My dd will only wear trousers in the winter time as I refuse to let her go to school with a skirt and ankle socks (she hates tights and she is so skinny long socks fall down).

SueW Mon 27-Mar-06 13:41:35

DD's school doesn't allow trousers for girls. I don't mind; neither does she.

At senior level I wish they would intro it. It might stop some of the girls walking round with skirts like belts. As soon as they move to 6th form and have to wear suits, almost all the girls wear trouser suits.

Feistybird Mon 27-Mar-06 13:42:22

I can't believe this is a genuine question..is the OP from outside UK?

lionhearted Mon 27-Mar-06 13:49:45

isn't there an EU ruling on this?

Polgara2 Mon 27-Mar-06 13:50:03

Our primary school doesn't allow trousers for girls and I wish they would. Much warmer in winter and less chance of getting multiple holes in them with frequent falling over!!

sandyballs Mon 27-Mar-06 13:53:23

I don't like seeing school girls in trousers, but I've no idea why. Can't explain it. My DD's school do allow it but they have never asked to wear them.

Auntymandy Mon 27-Mar-06 13:54:32

our school allows trousers

Blu Mon 27-Mar-06 13:54:54

I think girls should be encouraged to wear trousers rather than skirts to school. Far more practical and liberating for playground games, climbing etc.
I watched a little girl on a climbing frame yesterday - she kept putting her foot on her skirt every time she tried to make a big step up to another rung.
In a mixed school having your knickers potentially on show is a big deal for an 11 year old.

Feistybird Mon 27-Mar-06 13:56:09

Makes me aghast when I see the boys at the Montessori school in shorts. Shorst fgs - 3 degrees and shorts.

Arcane.

dinosaure Mon 27-Mar-06 13:56:15

Definitely YES.

We had a sit-in in the gym when I was at secondary school in protest at the prohibition on girls wearing trousers. We won, as well .

motherinferior Mon 27-Mar-06 13:57:22

Nice to see you, Din

At DD1's non-uniform school most of them wear trousers most of the time.

granarybeck Mon 27-Mar-06 13:58:10

I'm surprised there are still schools that only allow boys to wear trousers. I wear trousers to work most days. They are also much warmer in winter and easier than tights for PE days.

hellywobs Mon 27-Mar-06 13:59:35

Of course they should. I wear trousers at work!! I can't believe it's even up for debate - as long as they are smart and suitable for school.

My roommate at work says her 9 yr old ds has to wear shorts (even in winter) until he's 11 because it's school policy (private school) - very silly in my view, wouldn't send my ds there.

JackieNo Mon 27-Mar-06 14:07:13

Yes and yes to thread title. I wouldn't be too bothered if they didn't, but I think it is more practical.

Blu Mon 27-Mar-06 14:07:14

DS's school is 'no uniform' too - and the only girls who don't wear trousers are one who wears a cast off school uniform from some other school, and looks as if nothing else can be afforded, and one who wears a floor length tunic. But come to think of it she has trousers underneath.

DS had to be dissuaded from wearing his kilt last week...(on gounds that it was cold and wet, he has nothing to go with it so it looks ridiculous, etc.)

rumtumtigger Mon 27-Mar-06 14:09:27

no uniform - and lots of skirts and dresses worn at dd's school

objecting to trousers for school children would now be out of kilter with the practice in the rest of our society and so ridiculous

PandaG Mon 27-Mar-06 14:11:41

Yes girls should be allowed to wear trousers, agree re practicality, ease of changing for PE etc. My DD isn't at school yet, but when she joins her big brother she will definitely be wearing trousers in the winter, and the summer too if she wants to.

Mercy Mon 27-Mar-06 14:15:34

Of course they should be allowed; this was introduced when I was at secondary school over 25 years ago (for cultural and practical reasons)

dd's school doesn't have a uniform but i would say about ⅔ of the girls were trousers on a regular basis.

batters Mon 27-Mar-06 14:15:40

oh I wish your ds had worn a kilt to school, blu!

Dd's old non-uniform school had most of the girls wearing jeans, and most practical it was too. Sometimes in reception classes the little girls dressed up in frocks and skirts - you could pick out the Boden children from a mile off.

Now dd has to wear a tunic. She is not overly impressed with it, neither am I. But at least she is in a single sex school and doesn't have to worry about boys seeing her knickers.

So the answer to the thread's question is a YES from me.

Mercy Mon 27-Mar-06 14:16:50

don't know what happened there, should say 2/3 rds!

NomDePlume Mon 27-Mar-06 14:17:56

Yes, I don't see why not, much more practical, imo.

NomDePlume Mon 27-Mar-06 14:21:25

Both my DSs are in a secondary school that permits girls to wear trousers (so long as they are proper uniform ones), their primary school is the same. Not sure what DD's new primary (she starts reception in Sept) have to say about trousers.

Monkeybar Mon 27-Mar-06 14:30:12

Yes, As long as they're uniform type, why on earth not? Can't think of a single good reason why anyone would be opposed. They're warmer, more practical, and the boys can't drop their pencils under the table to try and get a look at the girls pants!

Ages since I was at school, but even then girls were allowed trousers during the coldest part of the year, IIRC.

wangle99 Mon 27-Mar-06 15:18:24

Not at DD's school. Girls wear kilts and NO trousers. DD doesn't mind, she says her legs are lovely in warm in her tights!

NomDePlume Mon 27-Mar-06 15:20:00

same here monkeybar

Gillian76 Mon 27-Mar-06 15:23:19

Don't see why not. At DDs school they are allowed but most of the younger girls wear pinafores.

The old fashioned bit of me prefers the look of pinafores and both DDs wear pinafores and skirts out of school. But if they asked I'd let them wear trousers to school.

snailspace Mon 27-Mar-06 15:38:11

Message withdrawn

Enid Mon 27-Mar-06 15:44:06

I hate trousers on girls as part of school uniform

I think it looks horrid, all those ill-fitting, cheap material trousers.

MUCH prefer skirts

At DD's primary school girls are allowed to wear trousers.

She does occasionally, especially if the weather is horrid - like today, it's raining cats and dogs outside.
Or when it's snowing.

Personally, I think they look much nicer in pinafore dresses, and skirts though. And DD prefers to wear dresses and skirts anyway.

All the local comprehensives seem to allow trousers for girls as well.

TinyGang Mon 27-Mar-06 15:57:05

I was just going to post that JTS! We're the same. Dd occasionally wears trousers, but I prefer her in her skirt or pinafore. Before she could master putting on tights she wore trousers more though.

TG - DD wears longs socks on PE days. And skirts as her pinafores are really difficult to put on. She is getting better at putting on tights though!!!

Blandmum Mon 27-Mar-06 16:00:48

Yes, where I teach. They have to be of the regulation colour and style (style gets tested a lot!) Most, if not all the girls wear trousers....and thabk god. the only day they wear skirt is the last day of the year when they dress up like teenage tarts and wear skirts which are basicaly thinck belts.

There my kids go the girls have to wear skirts in winter or dresses in the summer

paolosgirl Mon 27-Mar-06 16:02:37

I can't believe in this day and age there are still schools who don't allow girls to wear uniform trousers . Of course they should be allowed!

Hulababy Mon 27-Mar-06 16:05:19

DD's school (she starts September) has a strict uniform and trousers are not part of it. She gets a pinafore and tights instead. But we knew this and was happy with this when we chose the school, as I assume were all the parents.

Whilst I agree that is should be allowed if there is going to be a uniform change and all parties agree to it, I don't actually like school uniform trousers on girls very much. I personally don't think they are very smart. I always wore a skirt for school andi never thought to complain at all!

charliecat Mon 27-Mar-06 16:13:18

My dds wear grey pull on bootleg school trousers and they look smart and feel comfy. Yes and Yes!

nutcracker Mon 27-Mar-06 16:15:23

Yes they are allowed and yes they do.

I got fed up of having to replace tights every week so swapped to trousers.

wordgirl Mon 27-Mar-06 16:17:09

I don't understand the obsession with 'smartness' in young children - surely comfort and practicality are far more important?

crazydazy Mon 27-Mar-06 16:17:19

Yes I think they should be allowed cos DD hates wearing skirts, especially in the winter.

I try my best to get her to wear the school summer dress in the summer though as it makes her look really smart.

MartinJarvisFan Mon 27-Mar-06 16:18:12

at dds school uniform policy is very strict

girls can wear grey trousers from after oct half term to easter

MartinJarvisFan Mon 27-Mar-06 16:19:33

and i agree with eind

my dd wears pinafores

never trousers

(i dont even like skirts on little girls)

buffythenappyslayer Mon 27-Mar-06 16:20:33

my dd started secondary school last september.the list of uniform we got was skirt or trousers.its far too cold for them to be in skirts.even with tights.my other dds school specify skirts.i put her in trousers.(found out that becaue its only a primary and junior school,uniform isnt compulsory)so i make her wear trousers when its cold and when its warm she has a choice.

Mercy Mon 27-Mar-06 16:23:37

Exactly wordgirl. Can you imagine how this thread would go if we were questioning trousers for women at work?

spacecadet Mon 27-Mar-06 16:24:47

our primary school is quite lax on uniform sadly, so alot of children dont wear uniform, hence the girls wear what they want on their bottom half.
dd and ds's secondary school is very strict, skirts only for the girls.

paolosgirl Mon 27-Mar-06 16:27:13

Completely agree, Mercy.

I prefer the look of skirts, but dd, having scarcely ever worn trousers for the first 6 years of her life (her choice) recently wanted some school trousers and now gets upset if her one pair is not available to wear to school. I think that is mainly because she finds putting on tights or long socks a bind.

TBH, I virtually never wear a skirt so I can understand.

robinpud Mon 27-Mar-06 16:33:46

Can't believe this is actually a topic for debate.
Yes on grounds of practicality
yes on grounds of gender discrimination
yes on grounds of choice.
totally agree with Blu's post 1.54.
all those enjoying dressing their dd in frilly ankle socks and sweet skirts or tunics, just wait and it will change. Mine only wants trousers and as I spend most of my time in trousers I wouldn't dream of making it an issue.
Girls from the fee paying High School nearby shorten their skirts until they are just long waistbands. That might be worth having a discussion about but not trousers.
btw my daughter still looks very smart, not that really matters either.

MartinJarvisFan Mon 27-Mar-06 16:34:54

looking smart is important for some people

paolosgirl Mon 27-Mar-06 16:39:00

Trousers can be just as smart as skirts. They are also far more practical in the cold weather, and when they are running (and falling over) as children should do. I wonder if it's a state v. private thing in many cases?

wordgirl Mon 27-Mar-06 16:39:44

not for children though

robinpud Mon 27-Mar-06 16:40:47

I think the what's on the inside is really the most important thing and try not to judge a book by it immediate cover. I think the workplace is different from school and that at school children should be ready to learn but not too worried about their outward appearance. They may not be smart because they are a 7 year old caring for a single parent with a disability and very little in the way of external support for instance . In such cases, of which there are far too many I am just grateful the child has got to school. Just my opinion tho'

paolosgirl Mon 27-Mar-06 16:41:05

You mean it might be the parents, Wordgirl?! [wide eyed with innocence emoticon]

motherinferior Mon 27-Mar-06 16:42:56

You'd HATE DD1's school . Jeans a gogo.

MartinJarvisFan Mon 27-Mar-06 16:44:19

jeans for school???

<<<<<shudder>>>>>

motherinferior Mon 27-Mar-06 16:48:28

Er, yes. They're small children. They look lovely.

WideWebWitch Mon 27-Mar-06 16:55:25

Why ever wouldn't they be 'allowed' to? Are thee really schools where it isn't allowed? Well, clearly there are or you wouldn't be posting but I'm most surprised.

LIZS Mon 27-Mar-06 17:03:13

Not strongly opposed but would expect a specific definition of style/colour and still personally not keen on the look. To my mind there is more of a fashion element to trousers ie bootleg, straight cut,leggings etc than to a skirt of pinafore. They also get more obviously outgrown whereas a skirt has a few inches of tolerance. I can see some benefit for infants where they are playing a lot and may find it harder to stay warm in winter. dd wears a fleece tracksuit on swimming days but generally would consider tights and skirt warm enough.

Our school also has a strict uniform and it has seasonal variations ie summer only from the beginning of next term and optional up to autumn half term.

elliott Mon 27-Mar-06 17:07:11

I haven't read the thread, sorry, but I am amazed and somewhat depressed that this question is even being asked in the 21st century....why oh why do we have to keep fighting the same old battles?

figroll Mon 27-Mar-06 17:07:35

Better than those belts that they claim are skirts - a school down our road has girls coming out with skirts shorter than their blazers! Now that is short - ridiculous really.

It is nice when littlies can wear trousers as it means they don't have all those woolly tights to contend with - such a pain and so much more washing. It keeps them warm too.

My dds school had a vote to see what the parents thought and some of the people who voted not to trousers were the parents of the boys!! Talk about double standards.

expatinscotland Mon 27-Mar-06 17:09:56

I HATE tights, so I think they should be able to wear trousers. I mean, ffs, have you ever worn a skirt/tights and no longer coat over that on a cold day? It's freezing!

Also, having to buy all those tights is an added expense.

edam Mon 27-Mar-06 17:14:08

I thought there was some case law on this - wasn't there a battle some years ago? And wasn't it established that banning trousers is sexism (in a mixed school, I believe).

I had to wear a kilt at high school and it was hideous and impractical - whenever it was windy (all the time where we lived) the skirt would fly up and eventually the kilt pin wore a big whole in the material. Very embarrassing having your skirt blown up around your waist...

serenity Mon 27-Mar-06 17:20:06

The girls can wear either at our school.

Having seen the state of DS1 and 2's knees and trousers after having fallen over on the tarmac, DD will be wearing trousers to school for as long as I can persuede her to wear them! (Nursery and Reception uniform is jogging bottoms anyway)

Majorca Mon 27-Mar-06 17:20:21

Yes, and yes. DD1 (11) has not worn a skirt once in last five years; DD2 (5) has never once agreed to wear one!

(Though strangely, I myself actually find skirts and thick M&S tights warmer than trousers - explanation is there none?)

Majorca Mon 27-Mar-06 17:21:03

Yes, and yes. DD1 (11) has not worn a skirt once in last five years; DD2 (5) has never once agreed to wear one!

(Though strangely, I myself actually find skirts and thick M&S tights warmer than trousers - explanation is there none?)

Blandmum Mon 27-Mar-06 17:31:21

Do you really want an explanation???

If you do I can elaborate

iota Mon 27-Mar-06 17:33:39

go on MB - you know you want to

wordgirl Mon 27-Mar-06 17:34:46

Here comes the science bit...

4blue1pink Mon 27-Mar-06 17:35:08

I do think they should be allowed but they are imo a toal fashion faux pas!!

Nylon nasties i call tem and i cant imagine why all the girls want to wear them...

I am bribing my daughter by leeting her wear funky shoes if she will wear a skirt at high school. I know other mums that agree ...school trousers need to be locked up by the fashion police... ewwwwwwwwwwwww!

Enid Mon 27-Mar-06 17:35:25

<<sighs at how lovely the dds look in their school uniform and what a relief it is to see dd1 in something that isnt jodphurs>>

expatinscotland Mon 27-Mar-06 17:44:48

Eewww, horses are stinky.

katyp Mon 27-Mar-06 17:53:18

My dds school doesn't allow them at the moment but I think it is going to be debated by the new school council soon. From an equality/practicality point of view I think they should be allowed but agree with Enid that skirts/pinafores look smarter.

Where your school allows trousers, what happens in summer time? Do the girls still wear the gingham style dresses or do they wear shorts like the boys? All the schools around here seem to stick for dresses for the summer which seems to contradict somewhat the practicality argument...

iota Mon 27-Mar-06 17:54:53

girls wear dresses, skirts or shorts in the summer at ds1's school.

Blandmum Mon 27-Mar-06 17:56:27

OK, heat can leave your body by conduction (partices in you vibrating and passing on their energy to other particles in another solid)....so imagine the heat leaving you as you sit on a cold bench. Solids are good at conduction. Conduction is very difficult in gases, since the particles are too far apart to pass on the vibrations. Heat is transfered in gases by convection.....hot air is less dense than cold and rises up and away from your body.

OK, if you wear cotton tights the air next to your skin gets trapped in the weave and pile. The heat energy can't leave your body by condection (gases don't conduct much remember) and cant convect away as the air is trapped around you. This is how all insulation works. Air gets trapped in feathers, wool etc and can't move away from you.....so it ends up insulation you.

Trousers will be too baggy to trap the air effectivly and so you get colder quicker as the hear leave you by convection.

iota Mon 27-Mar-06 17:58:17

the obvious solution, therefore, is to wear tights under your trousers

Blandmum Mon 27-Mar-06 18:01:53

Spot on! You are a natural scientist and can claim your £5

Layers trap more air and are better insulators. Birds fluff up their feathers to trap air to help to keep themselves warm. Polar bears hair follicles are hollow to trap air to keep them warm!

iota Mon 27-Mar-06 18:03:46

or there's always long-johns

mumeeee Mon 27-Mar-06 18:10:05

Yes and Yes. My daughters are in high school and most of the girls wear trousers. They have to be proper trousers not jeans

philippat Mon 27-Mar-06 18:18:30

link to Equal Opportunities Commission's view on the matter

Personally, find tights and skirts both more comfy and warmer but it's not me that has to wear the uniform, it's DD and I fully support her right to choose what is best for her.

Goodgirl Mon 27-Mar-06 18:53:34

Pinafore & skirt brigade - have you asked your children what they would prefer and feel more comfortable in?
Dds' first, middle and senior schools have all allowed trousers for girls but have to be regulation colours. Obviously local retailers know this and stock accordingly.
As for skirts looking smarter, I have visions of greying socks and knobbly, white chapped knees!
I would totally disagree with a non-uniform policy in any school as I think certain standards have to be set.

Mercy Mon 27-Mar-06 18:58:01

I do that with my two when it's really cold - ds included! (tights and trousers I mean)

Mercy Mon 27-Mar-06 19:01:13

And I forgot to add (as I have done so for ages) Martianbishop I wish I had had a science teacher like you and I hope my children will. my dd would love you.

tegan Mon 27-Mar-06 19:06:08

DD1 always wears trousers and it is a struggle to get her in a dress in the summer.

Blandmum Mon 27-Mar-06 19:07:41

mercy you are very kind

Littlefish Mon 27-Mar-06 19:18:04

Of course girls should be allowed to wear trousers if they want to. At my last school, there was not a separate uniform list for boys or girls, there was just one list on which both trousers and skirts, cardigans and sweatshirts appeared.

Mercy Mon 27-Mar-06 19:22:52

MB, I think you will find there are many Mumsnetters who feel the same as me (or I)! How else would we know how to clean our loos with Coca-cola

Keep up the good work!

gingernut Mon 27-Mar-06 19:34:34

If I had a dd I wouldn't send her to a school which didn't allow trousers. Trousers are far more practical and comfortable. Fine if they actually choose to wear skirts. Can't stand wearing skirts and tights myself. I've hardly worn skirts since I left school in fact (we weren't allowed trousers back in the dark ages).

Majorca Mon 27-Mar-06 20:52:36

Thank you MB! (had gone away temporarily to sort through some hand me down trousers for dd2)

Mosschops30 Mon 27-Mar-06 20:56:09

Message withdrawn

julienetmum Mon 27-Mar-06 21:12:12

I like the fact that dd will not be allowed to wear trousers. I think the infants girls look very cute in their pinafores, though the juniors' skirts are pretty shapeless grey affairs.

The senior school girls generally look very smart in their skirts and the upper school pinstripe ones are particlarly nice.

I hate the wa that girls wear trousers these days on their hips. Dh teaches in schools where most girls wear trousers and he says sometimes he doesn;t know where to look as you can see their thongs above their trousers.

notasheep Mon 27-Mar-06 21:16:07

dd 6yrs sometimes wears them when freezing cold

Orinoco Mon 27-Mar-06 21:48:58

Message withdrawn

stleger Mon 27-Mar-06 21:50:46

My dds prefer to wear school track suits, but on non track suitdays one is trousers and the other is skirt. She wants trosers next year as her tights fall down. A good reason for trousers! The older one is moving to secondary where trousers are now allowed. Nobody wears skirt, or carries a bag using both shoulders.

Legacy Mon 27-Mar-06 22:24:46

FeistyBird - Nope, not from outside the UK. From the South East, and no, before you ask, it's not a private school - it's a state primary.

For those who said "I can't believe this is a real Q" - it is. However like some of you, I was surprised it was being 'debated' by the school as it seems impossible to defend a 'no' decision.

Like some others though I have a fear that the trousers have the potential to be more scruffy somehow.

Tanzie Mon 27-Mar-06 22:59:20

Yes, and yes. No uniform here. Well, there is in that most of the children seem to wear Boden.

SleepyJess Mon 27-Mar-06 23:02:49

Yes of course they should and yes he does.

nooka Mon 27-Mar-06 23:25:24

So all you trouser haters - do you think that skirt/dress wearing girls look smarter than trouser wearing boys? I must admit it thought was no longer allowed for schools to deny girls the right to wear trousers. Seems daft to me - I wear a skirt once in a blue moon. My dd on the other hand has to be dragged kicking and screaming away from dresses! Generally speaking school uniforms are made out of the same sort of uniform whether they be dresses or trousers (otherwise that really would be sex discrimination), so I really can't understand the reasoning on that one. My children's primary school has a straight legged only rule on trousers, and I don't think that the dress wearing girls stand out as looking smarter than the trouser wearers. Some are scruffy, and some are neat - I think that's more to do with the character of the child, and the relative wealth/cleanliness of the family concerned. Also I have to say, as a victim of horrible school skirts (probably why I never wear them now), there is no monopoly on badly made uniforms.

jampots Mon 27-Mar-06 23:52:50

i personally prefer skirts for girls and trousers for boys. At my dd's junior school a lot of the girls wore trousers but thankfully hardly any at her secondary school do.

nooka Tue 28-Mar-06 00:08:36

jampots, do you prefer skirts on women and trousers on men too? I think my daughter looks sweet in a nice dress, but school uniform is school uniform (ie not very nice really!)

threebob Tue 28-Mar-06 00:28:55

Yes I think it's fine as long as the teachers are allowed to wear them too. And vice versa.

All this talk of childhood obesity - well I don't like running around and being active in a skirt.

On a practical note you will save a fortune in tights.

jampots Tue 28-Mar-06 07:48:53

no i dont nooka I just think as part of a school uniform it looks smarter. Infant boys at our school have to wear shorts whatever the weather too

philippat Tue 28-Mar-06 08:43:38

you know, one of the reasons people used to put forward for women not getting the vote was that if they filled their heads with politics, they'd spend less time on their appearance and not look as nice.

serenity Tue 28-Mar-06 09:20:42

Little boys in shorts in the middle of winter is pretty damn cruel IMO.

If their parents dressed them like that at any other time I'm sure there'd be plenty of accusations of neglect (especially on here ) I hate seeing bare bits of kids in freezing weather.

Senoracod Tue 28-Mar-06 09:22:19

Jampost you haev lost yer lid

jampots Tue 28-Mar-06 09:37:05

hey I didnt say I agreed with the shorts !

If girls can wear trousers what happens if a boy wants to wear a skirt - cant imagine it happening but the risk is there -

Bozza Tue 28-Mar-06 09:46:46

TBH at DS's school I think the boys look smarter than the girls. The boys are wearing a pretty consistent uniform of grey flannel trousers with polo shirts and school sweatshirts. The girls are wearing all sorts of things - trousers in various styles and fabrics, skirts, pinafore dresses in various styles, blouses, polo shirts, sweatshirts, cardigans, summer dresses, various coloured tights etc and it seems a bit of a mish-mash.

Although when DS started reception in September he was the only boy wearing a pair of shorts and it was quite warm at the time.

julienetmum Tue 28-Mar-06 13:40:08

At dd's school the style of the pinafores (for infants) and skirts (for juniors is specified). Similarly the exact style of trousers for boys is specified. The style of the specified trousers would not appeal at all to the girls so I doubt very much if anyone would challenge the sex discrimination rule.

In seniors it won't be an issue as it is single sex so no-one can say boys are allowed to wera trousers because there are no boys.

Blu Tue 28-Mar-06 13:49:44

At our pre-meeting before DS started school, we had a specific talk by his teacher on suitable clothing for school, even though it is a non-uniform school. She emphasised that clothing should be comfortable, and scruffy. She said she finds it very upsetting when children are anxious about getting clothing damged or dirty, and thinks it interferes with their enthusiasm to learn!

I agree with her.

And she certainly doesn't need to use uniform or smartness as a way to instill good calm interactive classroom behaviour, even with a wide range of concentration and individual needs amongst the group.

Bozza Tue 28-Mar-06 13:54:57

Hmmm blu on a similar line DS's teacher was advocating trousers as more practical than dresses for the girls and suggesting blue sweatshirts didn't show glue stains as badly as red ones. I bought DS both because I think he looks lovely in the red ones, but he also has a blue one he wears some days.

Blu Tue 28-Mar-06 13:57:13

They should bring out a special range of school clothing in 'Glue Blue'.

PeachyClair Tue 28-Mar-06 14:20:00

Our school is pinafore for girls. I think it is more important to offer a range at senior level- at least partly because it gives any Muslim kids a nice easy option (most muslims are happy to send their girls in school uniform with trousers but a lot don't like skirts).

Trousers are more practical though aren't they? For riding trikes and sandpits and cold weather.

Bozza Tue 28-Mar-06 20:47:43

blu.

jamsam Tue 28-Mar-06 21:56:51

my two sisters and i campaihned for years to get trousers in secondary school, we had no end of trouble, from threatened expulsion to bad reports for being 'too mature'. as soon as i left ( im the youngest) the uniform was changed and trousers came in. ive since learnt that they waited for us to leave so we didnt think we won.
they're only trousers!!

jamsam Tue 28-Mar-06 21:56:57

my two sisters and i campaihned for years to get trousers in secondary school, we had no end of trouble, from threatened expulsion to bad reports for being 'too mature'. as soon as i left ( im the youngest) the uniform was changed and trousers came in. ive since learnt that they waited for us to leave so we didnt think we won.
they're only trousers!!

piccolamamma Sun 14-May-06 22:35:12

i think trousers are fine. trousers were brought in at my old school over 10 years ago.
after all does the uniform have an affect on performance?
all i know is that my dh studied the metabolism of atm molecules at 15 at his italian school where uniforms are not used. it took my english school another 3 years to get around to that - despite my uniform. i've discovered a similar pattern in every subject. dh falls about laughing at my ignorance when it comes to maths, history, latin, economics, geography and literature to name a few - and I have 11 very good g.c.s.e.s........

juuule Mon 15-May-06 09:47:56

Yes they should and yes ours do.

firestorm Mon 15-May-06 10:08:45

yes my girls wear trousers at school (except in summer when they wear dresses) i wish we had been allowed to when i was at school its much better for them to be in trousers than putting themselves at risk in short skirts imo.

rustybear Tue 16-May-06 23:28:35

At my dd's school, when she was Y5 (she's now Y11, so this was a while ago),the governors decided it would be sexist not to allow girls to wear trousers, but as the head didn't like the idea, they didn't actually tell anyone they were going to be allowed - they just appeared on the uniform list. My daughter asked if she could wear them & she & her best friend started a trend -I don't think I was very popular with the head. I now work there, and now for some reason trousers seem to be popular in Y5 and then they revert to skirts for Y6 -presumably so they can practice rolling them up for when they go to secondary school.
In fact my dd told me years later that the reason she wanted to wear trousers was that the ASD boy she had woodwind lessons with kept putting his hand up her skirt.

wysiwyg Tue 16-May-06 23:58:36

Have to say I agree with Bozza here about boys looking smarter. I think skirts look smarter but probably only because of the only girls' school trousers I have seen are made of some awful nylon type material that looks v cheap imo (Iused to have some in the 70s but they were in then)

MarsLady Wed 17-May-06 00:01:50

My DDs are allowed to wear trousers as part of their uniform. I get them bootleg trousers and they look very smart.

When DD1 goes to senior school though, she won't be allowed to wear trousers.

I'm not hugely bothered.... though she does have legs up to here and maybe they should be covered.

Tortington Wed 17-May-06 00:17:22

i hate skirts in senior school - girls get down the street roll them up and look like 13 year old sluts.

my girl has always worn trousers and no school has ever pulled me on it - this is becuase she isnt rolling them up looking like some cheap tart

Blandmum Wed 17-May-06 06:30:54

Our lot can wear skirts or trousers. thankfully, for the reason Custy mentions, they all tend to wear trousers. The only day they don't is on the last day of school, when the leavers in particular dress up like someone out of a Britany video [blerch]

The uniform is the same (except the skirt!) for the boys and the girls

emmabiscool Sun 17-Sep-06 02:31:58

DD's school doesn't allow trousers for girls, they wear kilts and ankle socks. IMHO this is a good thing for several reasons. The main one being that with only one type of female uniform they look as smart as the boys, whereas in a lot of schools there are three or four different female 'uniforms' (trousers, skirt/socks, skirt/sheer tights, skirt/opaque tights).

Some people here are saying it's cold in the winter and that's true but IMHO it's good preparation for later life for a girl to get used to that as there will be times when she can't, or doesn't want, to wear trousers or thick tights, and it would be nice to be acclimatised.

geekgrrl Sun 17-Sep-06 06:47:59

yeah, great preparation for going out on the lash at 17, wearing nothing but a belt and a hankie in February. Well done school!

YeahBut Sun 17-Sep-06 07:00:29

At my dds' school, trousers are allowed, indeed actively encouraged on PE days because 4.5 year olds find them much easier to manage than tights. They look very smart, too.

Miaou Sun 17-Sep-06 07:43:35

At our primary school the only compulsory part of the uniform is the sweatshirt. Bottom half is whatever you want, though they are encouraged to wear dark coloured trousers or skirts. Quite a lot wear jeans (fine by me). I think dd2 is the only girl in the school that ever wears a skirt! However she is often involved in the playground rough and tumble and is now getting a big self-conscious about boys seeing her pants, so wears trousers more often now.

Secondary school the girls can wear trousers, which I think is a good thing too - avoids "wide belt" syndrome!

notagrannyyet Sun 17-Sep-06 08:04:13

Not read all of this but of course they should be able to wear trousers. The proper school type look very smart how could anyone object.

The things that should be banned are those horrible thick tights that some little girls wear in the winter.They make it hard for them to change for PE and they're a nightmare after school swimming lessons.I help yr1 & yr2 girls to change after swimming and none of them seem to be able to cope with tights.Trousers & socks would be much quicker.

calebsmummy Sun 17-Sep-06 11:33:53

I have 3 boys, so maybe I shouldn't be commenting on this thread but I don't like seeing girls in school trousers. I think the skirt looks so much nicer and just...well, right. If I had a girl I would encourage her to wear a skirt, but I don't so perheaps I would feel differently.

I would also never send my children to a 'no uniform' school. I feel the uniform is great for eliminating peer pressure through clothes etc. Certainly in my DS's school in London, it would have been a nightmare if there was no uniform as they would all have had labelled clothing and DS wouldn't (because I hate it)

We've now moved to Hants and I love his uniform (secondary school...Blazer, tie etc) it reminds me of his first school in Somerset where they wore shirt, tie and shorts (not a Montessori) and he looked sooooo sweet. They changed it in his last year there to trousers though (I was probably one of the very few parents who complained about the change )

calebsmummy Sun 17-Sep-06 11:35:55

BTW, DS's secondary school, the girls can only wear a skirt. But fantastic school so even if I did think trousers were ok, it wouldn't stop me sending my daughter there (if I had one)

juuule Sun 17-Sep-06 11:44:09

Our primary and secondary school uniforms include trousers for girls. They are so much better in winter than tights. I don't mind skirts or trousers and my girls swap between them depending on how they feel or what the weather is like.

motherinferior Sun 17-Sep-06 12:07:28

I cannot think of a single occasion on which an adult woman does not have the option of trousers.

FlipFloppinRubyRioja Sun 17-Sep-06 12:09:12

Sandhurst passing out parade!!!

motherinferior Sun 17-Sep-06 12:09:55

Ah. I stand corrected

Cannot see the Inferiorettes at Sandhurst, somehow.

FlipFloppinRubyRioja Sun 17-Sep-06 12:11:59

Total nonsense of course!

FillyjonktheBananaEater Sun 17-Sep-06 12:17:09

um...

aren't they there to...well...learn?

If my dd wasn't allowed to wear trousers when boys were...my god the fus I would kick up.

Schools are for learning, and kids should be warm and able to stand on their heads without anyone making knicker jokes.

serenity Sun 17-Sep-06 12:17:38

emmabiscool - I'm sorry, but that has to be one of the silliest reasons yet on this thread!

Most of the arguments seem to be about personal taste rather than practicality, or what would be sensible. So what if it doesn't look as smart, or you really think little girls look nicer in skirts. If you think it's that great then I suggest you tailor your wardrobe that way. I dress my children to reflect the weather, or what they are doing, surely that's more important than how they look?

Can I add to the list?

So - things that adults dress their children in which annoy me

skirts and socks/shorts when it's cold (even worse when it's not necessary)
skirts and dresses on non walking girls (watching crawling girls put their knees on the hem, and fall forward onto their faces. Hmmm sensible)
Overdressed children who can't play, because they might get dirty, which is similar to
girls in heels, who then can't run

I'm sure there's more but I feel better now, so I'll go and bathe the DCs

FillyjonktheBananaEater Sun 17-Sep-06 12:18:50

and there is plenty of time for dd to wear skirts and dresses and whatever she wants really, once she's got her M.D.

FlipFloppinRubyRioja Sun 17-Sep-06 12:22:00

Good post serenity - my pet peeves

Girls in crop tops
Girls in heels
Girls in tight short skirts
Girls in strappy tops
Girls in one shoulder tops
Girls with lots of jewellery
Girls with make up
Girls with logos on bums

Boys in camouflage (I know is is fashionable, but from army background and hate it on littlies).

My girls wear every permutation of uniform, look v cute and we adjust it depending on weather, PE etc.

kando Sun 17-Sep-06 12:26:57

Yes she is allowed to wear trousers, but she does like her skirts. Much prefer to see her in trousers, particularly when she's hanging off the bars upside down flashing her knickers at everyone!

MoreSpamThanGlam Sun 17-Sep-06 12:36:39

In our primary school it is shorts for boys all year round, but they can wear tracky bottoms on way to and from school over the top and at playtime in winter, and its skirts or tunics for girls with tights or socks. Looks really smart and I like it, as do the kids. The shorts are a godsend, as ds is football mad and I would have gone through a pair of trousers a week if it were not for the odd grazed knee.
DD has just moved to senior school and the skirts have to be a certain length from the school shop, as they have a split in the back, so if they roll them up, like the other schools locally seem to do them it would show their drawers off. They also have to wear blazer at all times around the school, but can take it off for lessons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now