Teacher training qualifications?

(38 Posts)
KatyMac Fri 05-Oct-12 20:47:50

"The PGCE course includes the ‘Preparing to Teach’ (PTLLS), ‘Certificate to Teach’ (CTLLS) and the ‘Diploma in Teaching’ (DTLLS), which forms the basis of all teacher training qualifications."

What does this actually mean in terms of teaching? What else would you need?

bumpybecky Tue 09-Oct-12 21:48:43

Katy I thought your dd was a similar age to my dd1 (14). By the time your dd comes to do teacher training it'll all have changed again I'm sure...

KatyMac Tue 09-Oct-12 21:52:54

Yes - but she could potentially start the course in 2 years at 16; so I want to know what it will mean for her when she can't/doesn't want to dance any more

KatyMac Tue 09-Oct-12 21:56:11

It always seems silly to me that decisions made at 16 (or even at 14 with your options) can affect your entire career

overthemill Tue 09-Oct-12 22:01:50

katymac the bits you refer to in your OP are indeed part of a PGCE (post compulsory education) course and take you up to level 7 qual (so post grad). It is what I have. I then spent around a year (not quite) to earn my QTLS (which is the equiv of QTS for school teachers). QTLS has (since April this year) been recognised as exact equiv of QTS and so those of us who have PGCE (PCE) and QTLS can now teach in ALL sectors as qualified teachers.

I happened to do my PGCE part time over 2 years, others do it full time over 1 year.

Gove has changed the requirements yet again and I understand that it is no longer a professional requirement that teachers/lecturers in FE/HE have PGCE/QTLS. Shame because teaching does require professional training.

I now teach in a school, teaching English, my degree subject. The PGCE taught me to teach but not how to teach my subject!

KatyMac Tue 09-Oct-12 22:19:38

I don't wish to be too blunt; but this course is more expensive than others - if the 'extra' teaching bit is pointless, then it's not worth paying more for

overthemill Wed 10-Oct-12 08:37:02

it is a useful qualification but it is tailored towards professionals who have been teaching others their subject for many years and now want a good professional qualification to provide them with skills and knowledge to back up their subject experience. it isn't a shortcut into teaching - you need prior experience and also have to find yourself 150 hours of teaching experience to complete the award. i am not 100% certain of your daughter's professional requirements but it doesn't sound like the right course for her at this stage (at 16).

i really loved the course and it was brilliant for me. It helped me work out that although i loved my job training adults in my then sector i also loved teaching so much i wanted to teach in a school which is what i now do having also obtained my QTLS. It was an extremely tough route but worked for me as i couldn't afford to stop work in order to qualify.

KatyMac Wed 10-Oct-12 09:18:50

I was hoping to get some training in so when she 'retires' she can teach; rather than starting to strain at that point

But I'm not sure it's worth the premium

titchy Wed 10-Oct-12 09:38:49

You can't realistically expect a 16 year old to undertake a professional qualification, at post-graduate level, aimed at practitioners. It's totally unsuitable, and I'd question the ethics of the college if they accepted such an applicant.

What's wrong with doing teaching training when she's older and her dance career is over?

And there is very little that a decision made at 14 y old can make that will affect the rest of their life - it won't necessarily be easy, but with enough determination and application an adult CAN do things they otherwise thought they couldn't - starting a medicine degree at 40 for instance.

KatyMac Wed 10-Oct-12 09:45:48

That's one of the reasons for the thread; to find out if it was worth while

The general consensus is that it isn't worth it - but if I hadn't asked I wouldn't know

She will do the DDi & DDE which will be appropriate for her at that level (and will lead to an ability to earn money while she is 'resting') and then worry about proper teaching at 30 or so

overthemill Thu 11-Oct-12 07:32:32

and thats what mumsnet is for - so we can help each other! I hope she finds what she is looking for - what a wonderful skill

KatyMac Thu 11-Oct-12 07:46:03

She is amazing; every time she preforms I am in awe that I gave birth to her & every time she is 'grown up' or acts 'maturely' I am shocked remembering my tiny baby

She has a really good take on 'performing' (imo); she says "I'll do it until I am too old and then I'll teach". And her intent isn't 'to be a star' but simply to dance on stage while I can

KatyMac Thu 11-Oct-12 07:47:01

BTW

"Thanks" for explaining it all to me; I would have paid for something fairly useless

overthemill Thu 11-Oct-12 08:10:00

save that money so you can go to all her shows! grin
i am also in awe of my dd - she can sing and play the guitar and she seems to have taught herself - how in hell did i produce someone so talented???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now