Schools in and around Hitchin

(11 Posts)
SueEllen1971 Fri 08-Jun-12 11:33:56

Hi

Thinking of moving to this area and would like some advice about schools for my two sons, 4 and 8.

I'm thinking of going down the private route as I'll be working and need good after school care - although there will then be the long holidays! I've looked at websites for Kingshott and St Christopher's so far. Any feedback from parents who have children at either school?

Thanks.

lazymum99 Sun 10-Jun-12 18:00:03

My son spent 6 years st St Chris and we were very happy with it. There were after school clubs/care but he boarded for the last 4 years so not sure how it worked.

LizziePizzie Mon 11-Jun-12 11:11:25

Hitchin Boys is good!

lisad123 Wed 13-Jun-12 21:56:57

I have heard terrible stuff about hitchin boys and kingshot has new head which people arent happy with.
I have heard nothing but wonderful things about St Chris grin

BusyBuzzyMum Tue 24-Jul-12 14:42:52

Hi - my two children are both at Kingshott. Eldest very happy, through pre-prep and now firmly established in the Prep part of the school. Totally fulfilled by the school academically and probably (to him even more importantly) sports wise! Youngest, too early to tell as yet, as in early Pre-Prep - although he's always excited to be going to school, the staff are welcoming, he feels secure and he's made some delightful friends and had some fantastic experiences. New(ish) headmaster is very different to the previous headmaster. Would strongly recommend that you meet him and some of the teaching staff on a regular teaching day, as other's perspectives and views will always be different to your own, as those things that are important to you - may not be the same as for others. We were VERY impressed with the school when we went round (met previous headmaster) and equally are happy now (although a number of things have changed, under the new headmaster). I'm not going to be drawn on making personal comments against individuals though. My eldest swims with another boy from St. Chris's and he and his family (incl. older brother) are all very happy with St. Chris's. We just felt that St. Chris's wasn't right for us (and certainly not for my eldest who we felt responded better to a more ordered/structured/formal environment - which he has done) - but that doesn't mean it isn't right for others. They are very different establishments for sure. After School Care for pre-prep is until 5.30pm (or 5pm), Prep runs until 5.30pm for Prep pupils @ Kingshott (plus some hobbies will take some of the older ones through to 6pm on odd days). There's breakfast club from 7.45am if you need an earlier drop off. We wanted a mixed secondary school long term and weren't happy with what Hitchin could offer us, hence the reason we went down the private route - with the longer term objective of entering a private senior school (mixed) at 13+ (i.e. after Kingshott).

Good luck - it's not an easy decision. We had months of agonising decision making before we finally make ours. So far ... we feel we made the right one, that was right for our family and our personal circumstances.

DottyFlowers Sat 28-Jul-12 19:35:19

I can vouch for St Chris, fab school. I nannied for a family whose children went to there right from the monte nursery through to seniors. Very happy and lovely school.

Feel free to Message me if you have any specific questions smile

bingawinga Thu 17-Jan-13 13:45:47

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Pianof Thu 24-Jan-13 19:01:17

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Justabout23 Thu 31-Jan-13 21:45:08

pianof, I am amazed that you can liken Kingshott to a state school - have you walked through the doors of one recently? We thought long and hard about the education for our children and looked around private and state schools in the area so that we could get a broad picture of what was available to us. We opted for Kingshott due to it's high standards across the board, both academic and extra curricular - providing excellent opportunities and an all round great education. My eldest is higher up the school and encountering great success, my youngest who was a more apathetic sole is following suit. They are certainly being challenged academically and most importantly they are happy independent individuals. When I talk to friends with children in parallel year groups in the state sector, ours seem to be streets ahead in what they are achieving, particularly in the 'academic' subjects. More than satisfied.

SunshineC Wed 10-Jun-15 16:31:32

Hi there,
Your post above was a long time ago, but I wondered if you might be able to help. I am considering sending our child to St Chris's. Did your children go in the end? If so, pls can you share your experience of the school. Am completely torn. Have offer from a excellent state school, but want to move back to the area. Kingshot is oversubscribed I understand. Not aware of alternatives???

My child is a happy go lucky, confident 4 year old. He's relatively bright, though not sure he'll be the next Einstein (but who knows with the right education...). If your DC are there, are you happy with the school? Any issues of concern? All the people I've spoken with whose DC went a while ago, sing its praises.

sp79uk Mon 09-Nov-15 20:17:31

Hi all,

We are just about to visit Kingshott, St Francis and St Christopher over the next 2 weeks.

At the moment we have no idea who we are going to go with. We know it is going to be a hard decision.

Our DD is 14 months, so we think it will be hard to figure out what is going to be the right fit. Will just have to go with our gut!

Happy to give our feedback after we go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now