Where can I can buy the How your body works Magazine?

(17 Posts)
Kalah1 Thu 30-Jan-14 14:36:39

I agree I bought a skeleton off amazon for £52 its free standing so why would anyone pay over £200 just to make one��

harringaq Thu 07-Mar-13 18:15:40

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

thrappomummy Sat 15-Dec-12 22:32:36

Hi beaverhq, I'm definitely interested, as a combination of financial circumstances changing, and simply not being able to find the darned thing in any shop some weeks, leave me with about 10 issues (randomly spaced throughout the series) plus a little boy desperate to build Billie Bones (only knows about skeleton so we'll do without any scary skin I think!). I currently can't afford even the ebay price I've found of £4.29 an issue. How much were you thinking of asking for your bin bag's worth? Thank you for offering it.

beaverhq Sun 02-Dec-12 08:46:50

I have a bin bag full of this stuff, 99% of it unopened (in fact i think we've only used the glow in the dark stickers for halloween). It's taking up space and I want to get rid of it, my Mother thought it would be a good idea for my two older girls, but with a toddler in the house it would be impossible to build. Please message me if you're interested. I think we have the whole skeleton and another package arrived yesterday !!!

marykat2004 Tue 16-Oct-12 09:46:08

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I was searching for how to cancel the Billie Bones subscription.

Re: the maths (price), DD usually gets a stupid magazine from the shops every week anyway. The deal with Billie Bones was no more silly magazines full of plastic junk and clutter. Instead we would learn about the body. If you think about it, if you are spending £3 a week on a magazine anyway, and it just ends up in the recycling, then something educational is a better idea, if it is a little more per week.

We have really enjoyed building the skeleton a bit at a time. We have learned more than if we had just bought a skeleton already made with a book. DD has really learned a lot.

BUT (here is the but) we thought it finished with the skeleton and organs. There was no mention of muscles and skin at the beginning. And we don't like the look of the finished one. Nor do we want to spend any more. So now we have cancelled.

Other than being on hold for 10 minutes on a premium rate number, it seemed easy enough to cancel. The lady said fine and took our address and that was it.

So, I would recommend this as an educational tool but only if you can persuade your child no other magazines for the duration of the body-building. And maybe stop at the skeleton.

Michaelahpurple Thu 22-Mar-12 06:17:58

Also, these part works notoriously often don't complete - it is part of the business model

jazid Sun 18-Mar-12 20:50:03

Ok, I was going to add a post asking how you know its 80 issues but after some research I see you are right and the 34 issues is for just the skeleton.
For around £200 you will be getting the parts to build this:
www.howyourbodyworks.co.uk/a/docs/How_to_assemble_Billie_Bones.pdf

The rest of the series talk about muscles etc and provides a whole selection of skin to cover your skeleton. The finished Billie model (with skin) looks like something out of a Chucky movie: img718.imageshack.us/img718/7801/howyourbodyworkscomplet.jpg

Whilst it is a good educational resource, it is still a lot of cash to be honest. If you wouldn't consider spending £100 to buy a skeleton and a childrens friendly book, then why commit to spending twice that over almost a year?

Imdadnotmum Sat 17-Mar-12 10:27:41

I agree it's about doing something with your children...
HOWEVER... The FULL set is 80 issues - yes 80!

So, with your children do some maths!
Issue 1 99p, Issue 2 £2.99 then it's £5.99 X 78
which totals up to an incredible £471.20

The magazine is good, kids like it and it is educational.
However, you can easily buy a skeleton with organs etc for under £50 online and there's many great books for under a tenner!

You can do A LOT MORE with your children for £471.20

Happy learning x

LuckyPulse Thu 15-Mar-12 23:51:43

Cleek, Hi I just saw your post - I found it on .....http://www.howyourbodyworks.co.uk/

The 1st issue is 99p - One FREE issue + a set
of glow in the dark stickers
with your first delivery

Issue 2 £2.99 - FREE stylish backpack with your second delivery

Issue 3 - £5.99 -
FREE Binder – keep your copies in perfect order with your third delivery
And £5.99 thereafter - you have options to opt out of extra costs of binders etc (which I did to keep down costs!!)

My Daughter and the whole family are learning step by step and interacting together - she is 6 and already knows so much which will only help her as her school years progress so really if you are able to go ahead I would highly recommend it - sxey40 nailed it on the head - after all what don't we spend money on thats rubbish?? This is so easy to read and remember by how they have illustrated it so in my opinion worth it - I pay direct debit so doesn't leave a gaping hole in my pocket lol

Good luck and happy learning x

LucyFarinelli Mon 05-Mar-12 19:14:41

You can buy full articulated skeletons on ebay for about £20-£40, and a how your body works book would cost between £10-£20. Total spend= £30-£60

£0.99 for the first issue then £5.99 for the next 33 weeks= £198.66

sxey40 Mon 05-Mar-12 19:06:21

its not about how much it comes to its about doing something with your child/children. has anyone seen them in the shops if so which ones ive been looking for two weeks now. ive try calling them but number is not in use can anyone HELP.

Cleek Mon 27-Feb-12 17:12:12

I didn't know it is so expensive!! I didn't know it has 34 issues in total and costs £6 each. I thought it was only 99p for the first issue and £2.99 second issue and £5.99 the third one. So I thought it would come to about £10. So the ad is a little missleading.

Sockspence Sun 26-Feb-12 21:25:43

There was a book of the same name in the 80's that depicted sex as happening between two robots, one with a green spring-like penis.

Is this the same? I was scarred by that book, thanks Mum.

workshy Sun 26-Feb-12 21:22:56

why would you want to?

you can buy a book about the body and a skeleton model for much less

What JustGettingBy said. Its £6 per week for 34 weeks thats over £200. Its a lot for what you are getting.

JustGettingByMum Sun 26-Feb-12 20:44:46

Try WHSmith

But have you worked out the total cost of getting your skeleton? I was shock when I saw it was £6 each week for over a year

Cleek Sun 26-Feb-12 17:41:06

Can anyone tell me where I can this magazine from or do I have to order online?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now