Any experience of The Grange school, Aylesbury?

(6 Posts)
ShelleyQ Thu 28-Mar-13 16:52:47

The Grange School in Aylesbury is a brilliant school that I used to work in. 20 years ago they had some problems but the curriculum, the dedication of the teachers and the innovative practices they have implemented have recently been formally recognised by OFSTED as "Good" - this means something important in the educational world. Don't worry about the Grange, it is, or was, in 2011, a school with a waiting list that is led by a highly qualified teachers and excellent support staff, and by a dedicated Senior Leadership Team, in turn led by Headteacher Vince Murray who is absolutely dedicated to the welfare of the students and the constant improvement of the curriculum and extra curricular activities.

The school has produced Olympic footballers (Olympics 2012) and good links with local businesses which creates obvious benefits for students. The most attractive overall philosophy of this school is that every child should have equal access to an excellent education. The Grange creates the environment for kids to make their lives successful. (No, I wasn't paid, just couldn't let this one go, I'm afraid!)

toddlerama Sat 03-Dec-11 10:20:51

I went to school in the area and it didn't have a great reputation. Might have improved though...

Devexity Sat 03-Dec-11 10:17:48

One of my co-workers has a daughter at The Grange and is very happy with the school and its progress. She says it has good academic thrust and great pastoral provision.

It could be worse: your DS could be stuck with Aylesbury Vale Academy where my DSS and DSD are. The Grange is by far the best choice from the AVA/Mandeville/Grange bouquet of depressing educational options.

GRW Thu 01-Dec-11 19:40:33

There is a mention of it in this weeks Bucks Herald, which said its recent Ofsted report said it was "good and improving" and that teaching was "good with some outstanding elements"

I know someone with a son in year 7 who is happy there.

manicinsomniac Wed 30-Nov-11 21:37:02

I really hope someone can counter this for you but I'm afraid I've only heard bad things.

I have a friend whose son also failed the 11 plus recently and is in the grange catchment. She said she'd rather homeschool than have him there but I don't know if she means it.

People can be snobby about schools though. Most are fine in reality or they wouldn't be allowed to stay open.

hedwig2001 Tue 29-Nov-11 18:30:23

We live in Bucks. My son recently failed to to qualify for Grammar School. We live in Aylesbury and have John Colet as our first preference. Unfortunately, we live just outside catchment, so may not get in. Our catchment school is The Grange. Does anyone have experience of this school? I'm hoping that someone can reassure me!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now