Views on Hymers College, Hull Collegiate & Pocklington School

(40 Posts)
toughdecisions Thu 20-Oct-11 14:06:40

Please share any experience, information or even gossip about these as we start to weigh them up. Thanks.

Freckletoes Sun 04-May-14 18:32:22

Pock is a good mix of normal kids with a lot of them being farmers kids and your typical posh kids! I don't know if the sports' facilities are better than other schools-I get the impression from my DCs that other schools they travel to for matches aren't as good. There are plenty of grounds for pitches and tracks, squash courts, large astro pitches and a large sports hall. If we have had any issues the school have dealt with them promptly and efficiently. League table results are a bit misleading as in some subjects the pupils do international GCSEs as they are considered more challenging (I believe) and these are recognised but the tables. Pocklington is a nice market town, the senior school attends the town church every Friday, they have other links with other organisations in the town. Saturday school is a pain at first but you soon get used to it and the kids aren't bothered as all of their school friends are doing the same! (No Saturdays for junior). The new pre-prep is flourishing and I have a feeling a nursery may be on the cards at some point in the future. For us it was the closest school so made sense plus OH also went their, but if we needed to move the kids the option is there. But at the moment-no complaints and since the school is celebrating its 500yr anniversary this month they must be doing something right!
Not heard anything bad about Hymers except the city centre location. Do know a few people unhappy with Collegiate who have moved kids away-mainly to Hymers.

Snazzyjazzy Tue 04-Mar-14 21:30:27

No, just a parent as I said. I was just trying to relate my own experience. I'm not sure why one post would make you think I'm a collegiate teacher? Do two posts make it more or less likely? Can't really follow your logic

paulagil Tue 26-Nov-13 19:55:00

Interesting that this is the only post you've ever done, snazzyjazzy - are you a Collegiate teacher?

All i know is that Pock and Hymers are virtually full and Collegiate is 2/3 full. So you'll definitely get a place at Collegiate, OP!!

Snazzyjazzy Sun 13-Oct-13 14:29:08

I've known parents and offspring happy with all 3 schools, my own experience of collegiate is very positive, children happy, staff superb, eldest just got a string of A*'s at gcse. Class sizes at hymers are quite large and there is currently a problem with maths - lots of pupils having extra tuition, no doubt this will change. A child in my daughter's class has just transferred from hymers due to bullying, however in fairness this happens in all schools. Collegiate head is retiring so things will change there. Personally the location of collegiate suits me, originally we had intended to choose hymers but changed our mind after attending open day and a less than helpful attitude following initial enquiries. I know many parents dislike the Sat morning school at Pock. I think the popular view of Hymers being 'the best' is no longer true, Collegiate is less selective and therefore results are more varied but academically able excel and all pupils are valued.

jazzy4eva Thu 23-May-13 14:58:31

As a former student who left the school 2 years ago I had to comment on this thread, but I must say first that I am a little biased as I do hear some 'behind the scenes information.' I must say I was at the school for 8 years from junior school to year 11 before leaving. Whilst in Junior School I was blissfully unaware of everything except my own little world but even looking back, I am now aware that I was not the ideal student for most of the teachers as I was not particularly middle class and I did not live in Kirkella and I was not a majorly academic student which does not particularly fit the schools criteria a lot of the time. They like their students to be majorly academic and get A's and A*s all the way through as well as being sporty, I wasn't particularly either, although a lot of the teachers do have the 'academic attitude' I can not say that all of the teachers are like that, i did get a lot of support off some of them ... although most of them have left the school now, the school is clearly being run into the ground as about 20 teachers have left the school for one reason or another, so they must be doing something wrong. A lot of the students, parents and teachers are quite snobbish and I remember being humiliated in the junior school for saying photo without pronouncing the t. Overall I think the school is going very much downhill and something will have to change if they want people to carry on going to the school.
I really know nothing of Hull Collegiate or Pocklington except I used to play them in sport and a lot of the students there did seem more stuck up and snobbish than us but to be honest that may have just been one of the schools as I honestly do not remember which was which. I hope this helps you to make an informed decision. i.e avoid Hymers like the plague, they may get good grades but that is mainly from parents and kids pushing not all of the teachers

jentina Fri 10-May-13 05:24:27

Speaking from personal experience as I did go to hymers and left about 15 years ago, I would avoid that stuck up hole like the plague. If you want your children to be turn into little sheltered middle class snobs then by all means go for it. Here's my story - I passed the entrance exam and entered directly into the senior school. I was a very creative child always more interested in drama the arts and writing, I found the more academic classes boring and I played about a lot.. Instead of the teachers helping me they scapegoated me because I would not adhere to the stiff conservative dictatorship, I was just labelled as a problem child and was routinely bullied by the teachers in front of the whole class and made to feel worthless. I was also smacked by one of the teachers and also witnessed other pupils being manhandled. After loosing nearly all confidence I left the school and went on to become a self made multi millionaire in London, lets face it looking back many of these parents were horrendous snobs even though a lot of them I wouldn't personally class as 'rich' (it is hull for goodness sake, if you have a house with more then 4 bedrooms and a range rover you're classed as wealthy)... So depending on how you would like your children to be raised choose wisely. If you want a little drone, middle class sheltered snob send them to hymers!

slippysofa Sun 24-Mar-13 22:28:35

No way is my DD3 going into Year 7. She will go to Pock. Still tempted by Hymers for DS4. He's sporty so it would be great for him and his rugby. It's a shame cos Collegiate Prep did my kids proud but the Senior school has some lazy-arsed teachers and lamentable pastoral care. And shit exam results.

slippysofa Sun 24-Mar-13 22:24:16

Collegiate Prep is fantastic. The Senior school failed my 2 oldest kids - don't touch it.

toughdecisions Mon 18-Mar-13 12:31:40

Cazzy glad to hear the Collegiate is doing well by your DD. You hear so many different things. As you say it's about best fit for the child and it seems to me in some ways a leap into the unkown at great cost. grin

Cazzymaddy Mon 18-Mar-13 11:58:57

DD1 is at Collegiate now and DD2 will go for Year 7 ( neither of them went to/is at the prep school). DD1 has some great teachers there and is doing very well. Obv have no experience of the prep school but their state primary certainly let them down in terms of science as I felt DD1 was very behind when she started- the prep school children seemed very more advanced in science teaching.

It was my impression that Hymers senior school is very hard to get into unless your child already goes to the prep part or has been to Froebel house, or it certainly was when DD1 was going through the admissions process (she is not that academic so we didn't enter her for Hymers but she had a friend that was very academic and was on Hymers waiting list for long while (til June) until she got a place. Hymers is good for sporty youngsters though- my DD2 hates swimming, so it was an easy choice to make this time round, also school bus from outside our house vs two public buses into and out of town, leaving at 7.30 made the choice easy too. At the end of the days though, you have to choose whichever school is right for your child- good luck!

toughdecisions Mon 18-Mar-13 11:46:43

Thanks SpecialT good to hear from someone with direct experience of two of the schools. I'm glad to hear things have worked out well for your DC. I have to say I was talking to someone who goes into schools and they say there is a bit of an exodus from the Collegiate at the moment but I do appreciate these things go in cycles. We are definitely leaning towards Hymers at the moment.

specialted Mon 18-Mar-13 09:44:11

My children both went to collegiate prep for a while, it was the biggest mistake we ever made. My son would cry every morning saying he didn't want to go and my daughter was happy but bored. She was made to sit next to the naughty kids and help them with their maths! The discipline was appalling and the children were not taught any manners at all and would barge past you through a doorway. The staff really didn't want to put in any extra hours at all. I moved both of them to Hymers and what a difference! The teaching is superb and the discipline and manners of the children is amazing. The staff genuinely like the pupils and want to be there, and give up so much time after school and at weekends to support activities. The sport at Hymers is fantastic too. The children are confident not arrogant and the general ethos is that they will succeed, and they do, whereas at collegiate it is all about rewarding the naughty kids and overlooking the bright well behaved ones. There is no question about which school is better. I have to say though that hymers play pock at sports and pock does also have a nice atmosphere and great facilities.

toughdecisions Mon 18-Feb-13 20:39:17

I do hear very good things about sport at Pocklington and liked the vibe when I went round. The downsides are it is significantly more expensive than the other two and Saturdays. Also the very long summer holiday which I'm not sure can be juggled with working. Sorry musing out loud.

RoseV I wonder if you felt Hymers still felt more like a boys school? This is a comment I've had from a friend whose daughter attends.

Rosevase Sun 17-Feb-13 22:36:56

I hope my niece will go to pocklington. I know the school (and the head) well and it's a great place.
My DC plays sport against Hymers often and I have never been impressed whenever I have gone and watched her (and had a nosy!) hard to be specific... I just do 't like the atmosphere.

MissTriangle Sun 17-Feb-13 22:25:32

My nephew is at pock school and has been very happy there. The sports facilities are fab - esp cricket. He has done well in exams and has lots of opportunities to develop outside of the school.
It is in a lovely little town too. From my experience it isn't all rich farmers children - although there are some of those... It is a mix of all sorts. If I could afford it I would be happy sending my DDs there, but alas it will never happen unless our lotto numbers come up!
Don't know the other schools though.

toughdecisions Thu 14-Feb-13 16:05:08

Helloooooo. Half-term bump.

toughdecisions Thu 07-Feb-13 21:51:49

Evening bump.

toughdecisions Thu 07-Feb-13 10:37:51

Bumping a year on as we left DS in his state primary last year so now we're back in the same place. grin All views welcome.

toughdecisions Fri 11-Nov-11 10:08:28

Thanks for coming back Toffee. Lots of bells going off.

AsuitableG if don't mind sending me a PM I would be discreet with any info shared.

ASuitableGirl Thu 10-Nov-11 19:27:21

I am marking my place here as do know some things about Hymers but would out myself a bit if someone I knew came on here and found this thread. Will pm you if you would like though smile

toffeepops1 Thu 10-Nov-11 19:09:05

Hi, we have changed school already as it was a total waste of money and a lot of heart ache. Yes it appears it may be a 'marmite' school and ok if your musical.I agree with elainereese in so far as it is run purely as a business and also strongly agree with Indith re the Head ! Unfortunately I dont think you truly know a school until you become part of it and had someone tried to tell me all the unacceptable things that occurred during our time there, well, I just wouldnt have believed it.

However, I have heard excellent reports of Pocklington.

Good luck as it is a tough decision and I wish you all the best

toughdecisions Thu 10-Nov-11 10:13:15

Hi toffee. Thanks for the honesty of your opinion. Are you looking to move your DC? Seems Collegiate is a 'marmite' school - love or loathe.

toffeepops1 Tue 08-Nov-11 21:20:23

I would put Collegiate at bottom of list but would be better if you just forgot it existed.

All my children have been privately educated since the age of four but only my youngest at Collegiate ......worst thing I ever did ,but ok if you want dictatorship, atrocious pastoral care, lack of common courtesy from the establishment,teachers who think shouting is the way to instill knowledge.

Avoid at all costs if you want a happy stress free child .

toughdecisions Sun 06-Nov-11 20:46:47

glitters - excellent name

Glad you have fond memories. Thanks for the current view on Hymers too. Sounds like your parents got it right for both of you.

glittershoes Fri 04-Nov-11 21:21:59

I am a former Hull High student which was the school that merged with Hull Grammer to form Hull Collegiate. I was there from 1995 to 2002 so a good while ago but loved it there.

I can't speak for the standard of education now but it was excellent, as was Hull Grammer. The building also has an amazing history with the Billiard scandel etc...

My very much younger brother now attends Hymers and loves it but, when I was at school, I too heard some really hideous things about the school, one particular thing regarding the school's involvement in a legal dispute between two families.

It is an excellent school academically but I found its morals very disturbed, much more worried about its reputation than the wellbeing of its students. From what my brother says, it is still very much a boys' school that happens to take girls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now