What is the average age for counting forwards and backwards to 100?

(10 Posts)
MyChildrenHaveHorns Thu 05-May-11 11:03:19

I have trawled the archives but cant find much info.
What is the earliest you have heard of?

galois Thu 05-May-11 11:55:45

do you want the average or the earliest? I think you'll find quite a disparity.

I think in reception they're supposed to go forward and back to 30, so perhaps forward and back to 100 would be something expected by the end of Y1?

Earliest would be a completely different kettle of fish. Wait 5 minutes and there'll be a mumsnetter with an 18mo that could do this.

I think my DS1 could do this at between four-and-a-half and five, and my DS2 at nearly 4.

Yellowstone Thu 05-May-11 12:14:20

Out of interest OP, why do you want to know?

It's never occurred to me to ask any of mine to count forwards and backwards to 100, I'm surprised anyone does.

MyChildrenHaveHorns Thu 05-May-11 12:50:15

I want to know as DS2 is 3.7 and counted back from 100 a few days ago, and I thought it was perhaps unusual.
I have never asked him to count to or from any number, but counting does seem to be his passion atm, and he surprised me by doing this.

Yellowstone Thu 05-May-11 13:08:07

I'd have thought it was pretty smart too, especially since it was spontaneous.

My DS is 4 and can do it. He has ASD though and it is one of his 'things' as is drawing with a ruler and cutting out 'nets' to make boxes hmm

melpomene Sat 07-May-11 00:18:45

3.7 does sound early. My dd has just turned six and she tried to count to 1000 the other day - she started missing numbers when she got towards 200 though. She claims that she counted to infinity when I wasn't listening (proud mum emoticon wink )

OTOH it isn't a particularly useful skill in itself - understanding how numbers interrelate and being able to add/subtract is more important.

ragged Sat 07-May-11 06:35:06

DS2 did that... for fun. Lying in bed at night as a 3yo would just recite away. They chanted the countdown a lot at his Montessori nursery, I think.

He is very very quick at mental maths now (6yo, y2, his teacher has pointed this out a few times, says DS1 was the same though I never noticed! blush). To calm him down when upset or go to sleep at night he likes me to ask him maths question... last night he worked out 13x13 (took him a long silent while, but he got it right). Also stuff like "double 11.6" or "3x600". Just likes maths, though is not so good at subtraction (he would struggle but his sis could have quickly worked out 472-375 in her head at the same age).

When I get bored I switch to spellings which he doesn't enjoy so much, but DS needs much more practice at spelling.

reallytired Mon 09-May-11 17:07:25

There is a big difference between chanting numbers and actually understanding what 100 means as opposed to 10 or 1. My son did this WITH UNDERSTANDING at the end of year one.

Children younger than year one need to play. Mathematical development is MORE than chanting numbers. Understand heavy/ light, more/ less is best done through play.

BlueberryPancake Tue 10-May-11 12:57:33

Can I show off? DS has never counted to or from one hundred as he has a severe speech delay and it would be very difficult for him, but about three months ago (he was 3.5) he asked his dad 'what's two twos?'. DH got a few blocks out and showed him that two twos was four. So after a few seconds, DS said: 'so ten tens make one hundred?' Weiiirrrrrdo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now