Tutor for entry exams - Henrietta Barnett School

(13 Posts)
dsfairy Sat 12-Mar-11 19:21:51

Hello,

My daughter is in year 5 and I am looking for a tutor that can prepare her for the entry exams for Henrietta Barnet School. She is doing well at school, she is in top group at Maths and English, however I think she will benefit from practising the mock exams in order to be familiar with the format on the day.

I was planning to start preparing her for year 7 entry exams from September. However after reading on the forum and discussing with some parents I realised that I should find someone as soon as possible.

Please send me a private message with contact details if you know of anyone who is doing tuition for girls for Henrietta Barnett School.

Many thanks in advance.

thenevernever Sat 12-Mar-11 22:00:40

try the elevenplusexams forum.
good luck to your dd!

dsfairy Sat 12-Mar-11 22:23:12

Thank you for the suggestion, Thenevernever, I will try it.

chrissy20 Tue 15-Mar-11 07:27:57

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

nals Thu 15-Nov-12 10:27:55

Could anyone help me with names of tutors for Henrietta Barnett for 11 +? Thanks

mumteacher Thu 20-Dec-12 15:16:45

I wish I could help but I only currently go up to 7+. I do know a fantastic lady in Barnett I'll try and dig her number out and PM you.

breadandbutterfly Mon 24-Dec-12 21:01:15

The place is Barnet (one 't'). Good thing you only tutor up to age 7!

I do hope your friend can at least spell!

mumteacher Fri 28-Dec-12 15:41:46

Breadandbutterfly why are you being so bitchy over a typo? Barnet has been
Spelt with a double t many times on this thread and not just by me!

Are you looking for a tutor too? Just wondering or did you not have anything better to do on Christmas Eve?

breadandbutterfly Fri 28-Dec-12 20:45:21

I'm Jewish, so no, Xmas eve is a bit tedious as far as I'm concerned...

No-one else has misspelled the place name as 'Barnett' - only you. Who coincidentally, also claim to be able to tutor others... hmm

As someone who went to Henrietta Barnett, and grew up in the Borough of Barnet, I'd be extremely dubious of any tutor who confused the spelling of the two words - it suggests either (a) that they cannot spell, or (b) that they have no local knowledge. Or both. Neither of which is desirable in a tutor for the school's entrance exam.

NainaiBarnet Fri 15-Mar-13 23:09:22

Hi all please help. I'm looking for a tuitor for HBS and other gram school around north London. Please PM me if u know a tuitor with good passing rate. Thx smile

BookTab Sat 06-Apr-13 04:13:04

Mumteacher, PM me please re tutoring guidance

Terezita Tue 16-Jul-13 14:06:50

Tutor or no tutor... the best advice I was given by a teacher is:

'The entry exam questions are very difficult and unless a girl is clever enough, no amount of tutoring is going to help her answer them. And if she is clever enough, she won't need tutoring. As for interviews, everything I've heard is that they like quirky, interesting girls and they ask questions that get around pre-prepared answers!'

As far as I know, they are trying to reduce the intake of girls who have been (foie gras duck-style) force fed with knowledge by expensive tutors.
Ask your current primary school teacher what s/he thinks, they are able to tell whether a child is suitable for such schools. A lot of pressure for 7 years...

Dancergirl Tue 16-Jul-13 14:59:10

'The entry exam questions are very difficult and unless a girl is clever enough, no amount of tutoring is going to help her answer them. And if she is clever enough, she won't need tutoring

Rubbish. Of course you should be honest with yourself about your dd's abilities when choosing a school but even if she is up to it academically, it's sensible to have private tuition and/or do practice papers to prepare her. The way I see it is to give your dd the very best chance of getting in, what parent wouldn't do that? Practice in answering questions under exam conditions, how to answer certain types of questions, how to write a good story, use of vocabulary etc.

And unless your dc is at a private prep school, asking the current primary school is hopeless. I asked that question and was told 'I'm not familiar with those schools'.

OP, this is a very old thread, what happened with your dd?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now