ALISON free online courses - as educators and possibly employers...do you think i should waste my time?

(15 Posts)
Tortington Wed 29-Dec-10 11:38:04

- i do like my certificates grin

so i was wondering should i waste my time

alison would it enhance my CV at all - or should i not bother?

i know all education is valuable - but i do like the recognition for time put in

i found out about this through a mumsnetter who posted that she was doing it yesterday - and i thought , now i;m unemployed, i could do an online course rather than clean...stuff

what are your views

Tortington Wed 29-Dec-10 12:35:50

bump

WillowFae Wed 29-Dec-10 14:54:11

What is it you want to do? What course, and why? I've never heard of them. They give NVQ equivalent levels but I can't see anything about a nationally recognised qualification.

Best bet is to contact a prospective employer in the field you want to be working in and ask them.

Tortington Wed 29-Dec-10 16:16:59

its just becuase it is free and convenient.

tbh i have lots of qualifications anf couldn't get any more in my field

so was looking just for other stuff to fill my time/certificate book whilst being useful to employers looking good on cv

granted Wed 29-Dec-10 23:54:16

Never heard of them, but they're provided by some top notch organisations, so sound reputable and are probably well put together. They're free as they're full of adverts apparently.

Why not do one? If I had the time, I'd join you - quite fancy the intro to economics or financial accounting myself.

That said, if you're looking for a job, possibly better to focus efforts on getting a new job?

That said, if you still have the time available, it has to be better than a huge gap in your CV, and could open up new possibilities?

PureAsTheColdDrivenSnow Wed 29-Dec-10 23:55:46

God that freaked me out!! confused

Tortington Thu 30-Dec-10 00:06:54

eh///???

granted Thu 30-Dec-10 01:00:46

Maybe she's called Alison?

Or has the wrong thread? confused

WillowFae Thu 30-Dec-10 20:48:58

If you just want something to do for the sake of doing something then I'd say go for the OU. If you are on benefits (you say you are unemployed so you might be) and you don't already have a degree then the courses may well be free.

tabulahrasa Sat 01-Jan-11 11:00:27

I wouldn't bother - it's not accredited in any way, what it says is that employers can get you to sit one of their tests to prove you hold a qualification instead of having a recognized qualification

sounds a bit pointless to me

Tortington Sun 02-Jan-11 19:55:24

righto thanks

i have a degree and not on benefits. might leave it then

cfgw Thu 13-Jan-11 21:44:29

Just found out about ALISON online courses and found them to be very useful as I am home educating my youngest. It was great to find a free interactive course which he enjoys.

Grapefruit1 Tue 11-Sep-12 13:45:37

I think there are many valuable courses to choose from. Definitely worth looking at.
You can also do a short course in a subject you are interested in to see how you really like it before signing up for an expensive course.
Can even try a few short courses to get your confidence back towards studying again (or first time) without having to pay at lot. Can give you an idea how your will manage your time, will you complete the course or not before signing up for a degree or Open Uni course.

breadandbutterfly Tue 11-Sep-12 21:37:31

I've done some of an Alison powerpoint course - looked good and thorough.Certificates are available if you want them but the main reason to do theoir courses is that they are good, free and completely flexible - you do it when you like for as long as you like. I think they show an employer you have up-to-date skills and haven't just been watching daytime TV,and are good for filling in gaps in your knowledge/CV, a luxury that people working often don't have the time to do.

Better than OU which is v expensive these days.

salmen149 Sat 21-May-16 10:18:07

Hello Miss Tortington, I'm Salmenn. Alison is a great place to study and waste time in a good way. For me, Alison courses are very fun to take and it does teach me a couple of new things. Most people on the internet complain that they're content is very mediocre. However, that's not the case. Alison's courses are mostly high school level. If I take a course, which I'm completely new to, I'll have a higher rate of learning something. Alison does very little for employment. That's because they're not accredited and they're not recognized in most countries. You can check out my full review below. I also know another place that offers cheap accredited diplomas. They cost around $19 to $24. However, they're accredited by the CPD. This means that it doesn't have a QCF equivalence level. The courses are from the Shaw Academy. I'll leave a link to my review below. Anyways, hope you'll have a great time with Alison. Hugs and kisses from Salmenn.

www.malayteenager.com/alison-courses-review/
www.malayteenager.com/the-shaw-academy-review-legit-or-not/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now