Saffron Walden, Which secondary and which primary

(14 Posts)
happychappy Wed 01-Dec-10 11:25:25

I have 2 children one 12 and one 9.

Those of you who know the area what schools do you recommend?

happychappy Mon 06-Dec-10 11:03:05

anybody?

happychappy Mon 06-Dec-10 19:53:38

That'll be a no then

webwiz Mon 06-Dec-10 20:21:19

I don't live near enough to Saffron Walden to know the schools very well but Saffron Walden County High has a good reputation.

toomanychristmaslights Mon 06-Dec-10 20:22:44

Newport Free is fantastic, and as Webwiz says, the county high is good too.

Are you moving to SW?

toomanychristmaslights Mon 06-Dec-10 20:23:27

Sorry only know primarys south of there, should have said, woops

daphnedill Tue 07-Dec-10 02:01:33

My dd is in Year 13 at Saffron Walden County High and my son is in Year 8. If your dcs are bright, the school is definitely a good option.

Rab Butler is the best primary in Saffron Walden, but heavily over-subscribed. My son went to Great Chesterford, but that's oversubscribed too and you don't stand much chance of getting him in, even if you live in catchment. Some of the other village primaries have a good reputation, but I don't have personal experience of them.

happychappy Tue 07-Dec-10 06:11:28

Yes probably in February. SW county high a bit rude on the phone though. Newport was really nice and informative. I'm in Italy so its bit difficult to pop down and have a look for myself.

Lilymaid Tue 07-Dec-10 11:24:00

Both SWCHS and Newport Free Grammar are very good schools, so unlikely to do badly with either - but do either have a place available?

daphnedill Tue 07-Dec-10 20:14:32

There's a receptionist at SWCHS, who's known for being a bit brusque! Don't worry, the rest aren't like that.

My dd joined the school at the beginning of Year 9. They're a bit sniffy about offering a place until you can prove you have an address within catchment, but when you've got one I've never known anyone be refused. If you do decide to send your dc there, be aware that they start GCSEs at the beginning of Year 9. They will probably decide to put your dc in middle sets to begin with, but it's worth stamping your feet a lot to get him/her in top, accelerated sets if he/she is bright.

Personally, I didn't like the atmosphere at Newport, but I guess that's a personal thing. You probably need to visit personally.

You're likely to have a bigger problem getting your younger dc into a primary school of your choosing. My ds only got into Great Chesterford at the beginning of Year 5 after I'd been to appeal and the local government ombudsman. It's full to the brim and I know it's the same at Rab Butler.

happychappy Wed 08-Dec-10 12:13:13

Thank you all, all really useful information
Newport seemed to be hopeful for a place.

merulina Mon 19-Sep-11 12:20:33

Hello, Happychappy, just wondered if you were still there somewhere, read your post with interest, we too are moving to SW from Italy and I am looking at primary and secondary schools..did you move? How did it go? Any help or recommendations welcome, we are moving next summer, thanks!!!

nahidamatin Fri 15-Aug-14 16:53:13

Hello, I am thinking of moving to saffron Walden with my 20month old twins and 3yr old. Can anybody honestly tell me if there are many Asian people living in.the village as we are Asian muslims in origin and I just want to know that me and my kids will.be happy there. This.is ore of a concern for.hubby than myself as I think you get racism and discrimination wherever you go.but my husband is worried about our kids being the only Asian kids in their school and possibly feeling like misfits. Any honest opinions welcome.

daphnedill Mon 18-Aug-14 23:17:30

Saffron Walden isn't a village. It's a market town. There are not many Asians, although there are some. Both my children went to school in the town and have some Asian friends. I doubt if there are enough Asians for there to be a "community". As far as I can tell, they are well-integrated and I have never heard of any racism.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now