First Class Learning

(13 Posts)
DebbM Sun 05-Sep-10 14:12:25

Anyone out there tried First Class Learning. Heard they are like Kumon but not repetitive at all. Also adhere to the National Curriculum. Unfortunately dont have a centre near me but happy to travel if I get a positive reponse from this thread. Thanks

trendymama Sun 09-Jan-11 14:08:33

Yes I'm a centre manager of FCL and it is very beneficial to your child/children. They do adhere to the national curriculum. It is taught in a modular fashion, this way the child doesn't get bored. First class learning is excellent value for money with a big subsidy for two subjects. If you have any more questions please ask.

mnistooaddictive Wed 12-Jan-11 16:30:18

Well that is an unbiased review for you! Don't know anything about them but wouldn't take the word of a centre manager, they are bound to think they are good.

reginaphel Tue 07-Jun-11 19:16:41

I tried first class learning with my 2 when the local Kumon centre closed, but we gave it up 6 months later as we couldn't really see any progress. Our son was struggling with fractions at the time and because the FCL programme focuses more on curriculum based activities, they didn't really tackle the underlying issue that was his tables were not strong enough. We've gone back to Kumon now although we have to travel 20 miles to get to our nearest centre sad

seeker Tue 07-Jun-11 19:20:25

Or you could just leave the poor little brats alone!

All these companies are just making money out of pareental insecurity. Don;t touch them wilt a barge pole.

learner123 Sun 12-Jun-11 07:52:28

I have 2 children. Both attend a first class learning
centre. My kids love it. It adheres to the national curriculum.
Centre managers great. I think it helps if the centre manager
Is a qualified teacher as they have more experience with
Children. I think its great to start early . It definitely gives them that
Confidence. My children have been there for 7 months and i can
See improvements! My daughters teacher asked if i was doing
Extra work because she can see her maths has improved.
The more you practice the better you will get and this improves confidence.

sim1304 Fri 11-May-12 00:02:49

Hi. I sent my child to kumon which she found dull & repetitive. Went to kip McGrath but I found I got no feedback from centre and my child wanted to do everything on computers so got lazy with writing out in the traditional manner. Some one told me about Fcl. So tried that. We LOVE it, tutor identified her weaknesses and put her on a programme of work. After about 3-4 myhs I saw improvements. So far so good. Certainly cheaper than private tutors and my child looks forward to the weekly visit to the centre. Btw you do get a lot of work to do at home and I have to mark it do I know exactly what my child is doing or not doing well.

GoMama Fri 13-Jul-12 23:19:44

Hi, As a parent, I have just recently began fcl, 8 weeks ago, and I used to attend kumon. Wow what a difference. My 3 children all study maths and english and science and my youngest is also is being prepped for 11+. They absolutely love it, they have regained their enthusiasm for learning which kumon had destroyed. They love the variety and love the fact that there is no repitition only when they need it. The centre managers identified the weaknesses in my children and designed an indivisualised programme for each of them. All I can say is that if you have a FCL centre nearby enrol your children, they will love the variety and will never get bored. Best thing I did was to remove my children from kumon and enrol with FCL. The only place where I can get help for 4 subjects and the fees are competitive. I love it, my children love it and my childrens teachers are recommending it to all since the change in my children.

ummi2 Mon 08-Oct-12 13:51:56

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Midlandsparent Fri 07-Dec-12 17:48:05

FCL is just a pale imitation of the Kumon programmes. My two children attended FCL for a while but went back to Kumon as it offers a far better structure and superior materials.

lljkk Fri 07-Dec-12 17:57:55

I'm sure it's just chance that nearly all the posters on here endorsing FCL have only 1 or 2 posts ever on MN to their name. hmm hmm

Nice touch, too, bumping up again, too, every 2-3 months.

loubna Thu 13-Dec-12 22:06:00

Hi there
Can anyone recommend a good English Tutor for my child in year 9.
Someone who can come home to NW10 by Hanger Lane.
Many Thanks

Kamaljit Tue 29-Jan-13 10:42:23

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now