This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Has anyone used Hermes couriers? Are they Ok or dodgy?

(83 Posts)
Frrrightattendant Fri 30-Oct-09 08:14:36

I had to send something back tracked, so decided to use these people as they were cheap.
In hindsight I ought to have used parcelforce but anyway...

parcel picked up on Weds. Courier is our usual home shopping guy, so far so good.

The delivery is meant to take 3-5 days. I've checked the tracking, nothing on Weds, Thurs it says 'collected at 13.08 weds'

There is nothing else yet. I rang the company. I get Janice who has only been there a week but tries to log into the screen which shows them 'more detail'. It says 'collected' too. hmm

I ask Janice whether there is anyone else I can speak to as I am not feeling reassured. (I have seen some awful reviews on the net by now)

She looks around,
'Can't see anyone, no...'

I tell Janice I will call back later. She is very nice. My parcel is probably in Outer Mongolia by now.

babiiamy Thu 19-Nov-15 17:50:49

I ordered something from amazon for my partner as a Christmas present should of arrived on the 29th, which apparently did it was signed by me at 10:19am ( yet I was at work at 8am!) I didn't sign for anything that day tried asking my neighbours no boy has seen anything, turns out the delivery driver stole it! good staff they have for a crap company! never using these people again! feel upset that I cant get a bloody christmas delivery here on time!

19lottie82 Thu 19-Nov-15 16:34:12

And parcels DO go missing..... From various couriers (including Royal Mail), not just Hermes. I'm not saying there wasn't any foul play involved with your sons parcel but if you think you can prove it then you're kidding yourself. Sorry.

19lottie82 Thu 19-Nov-15 16:30:13

But you don't have all the facts either?? You're saying that the driver stole the parcel and you're going to report it to the police as theft..... What facts do you have to prove this?

sylvannia Thu 19-Nov-15 16:21:22

Be nice if they had tried to make attempts. Seems they state tried once and did not leave a card then nothing!! then I am told it is lost. Neighbours also in where parcel had been asked to be left in nobody in but my son and the whole house was actually in. Regardless of how much couriers get paid they choose to do the job and if not happy should not take it on. We all make choices, couriers choose their job and I chose Hermes previously ok, but will avoid them in future. If no parcels to deliver then no work for couriers anyway. Hysteria - hardly!! Very sad and maybe you would in the same situation but then you do not have all the facts just make judgement. I am not just going to sit back and accept oh well tough luck your parcel is lost just make a claim - parcels the size and amount of packaging and labelling just would not go missing.

19lottie82 Wed 18-Nov-15 07:06:06

Sylvannia - I understand you are upset that your parcel has gone missing but I'm afraid everything in your post is sheer speculation / hysteria. You won't get anywhere getting the police, or Hermes to investigate this as "theft" as you have no proof.
Unfortunately parcels go missing all the time, with Hermes and multiple other couriers. Yes parcels do seems to go missing more often with Hermes than, DHL for example, but when drivers are paid circa 43p per successful delivery (even if they have to make 3 attempts) then yes of course they are likely to be more slap dash in their duties so things are more likely to go missing, sadly.
My outlook is "if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys".

whodhavethoughtit Tue 17-Nov-15 22:48:43

I would pay extra for the signature in that case.

Lappy214 Tue 17-Nov-15 19:38:27

I realise this is a zombie thread but I just wanted to respond as I've had 2 parcels go missing in the last 2 months through myhermes.

One said delivered (put through side gate) but the recipient was adamant that they had not received it at all. I refunded her in full (e-bay sale) but myhermes will only refund the sale price and their delivery charge, not the packing materials.

The other parcel still says it was collected by the recipient's local courier (on myhermes tracking system) and there the trail goes cold. Buyers says never received and myhermes not interested in pursuing the local courier re the parcel, just refunded again and I'm out of pocket by the packing materials.

I am careful to play down what stuff is on the address label details but it would seem that lots of stuff is "put through letterbox" when I know for a fact that the parcel was way too big to fit through a letterbox and the amount of parcels left on porches/sheds/"safe location" is frightening. as the myhermes couriers shortcut to have to avoid leaving a card and calling back later.

I'm also careful to only use new mailing bags instead of recycled when using myhermes since the 2 missing parcels so the couriers can't open it and tape it up again if it's not something worth risking "losing it" for. My missing parcels were both in recycled mailing bags

Having said that I've now used them for 350 parcels over 18 months and only 2 have got lost , both fairly recently so I do think myhermes are short cutting to cut costs, not checking out new couriers or disciplining them in any way for parcels apparently lost whilst with the courier themselves.

sylvannia Mon 16-Nov-15 23:19:09

So I sent a lovely parcel as a surprise for my son as he is at University and has very little money for his food etc. after paying rent, bills etc. I packed up a frying pan he needed, nice jumper, made some lovely mars malteser cakes, lots of other treats as a nice surprise. Tracked it online and said tried to deliver!! No card left and not even tried neighbours as I requested as they are reliable residents. My son very excited waiting for his parcel, it did not arrive, I looked online and said still with the local courier. So how could it possibly have got lost when it clearly states with courier. I taped it up extremely securely so no way would it have fallen to bits. Now all HERMES do is offer refund and just say parcel lost. My parcel is NOT lost, the courier has ripped it off and I am writing to head office as I want the police involved as this is Theft. I will never use Hermes again and as I am a member of U3A and other very large organisations will put in a report suggesting people use another method of transport for parcels. This has very much upset me and disappointed my son. I hope the their in Southsea Portsmouth has the decency to return this parcel to my son although he has probably just kept all the items for himself. I am as you see very very very upset about this. Obviously the couriers are not properly checked out for honesty. There is no way this parcel could have gone missing as very large and packaged impossible to tear.

19lottie82 Tue 07-Apr-15 14:42:26

nikdavie, sorry I agree with Cherryapple1, you should have paid to make sure your item was adequately insured.

Cherryapple1 Mon 06-Apr-15 12:13:07

well tbh it is your fault as you didn't insure it adequately. That is your responsibility not theirs, you could have claimed for the loss if you had insured it properly!

I have sent hundreds of items with them, only one item damaged and none lost. And they paid out in full for the broken item - no quibble.

nikdavie Mon 06-Apr-15 11:50:55

NEVER USE MY HERMES again because they pick up your parcel and then its tracked you would think it would be safe but was"mislaid" at the depot they said sorry for your inconvenience no sympathy at all my item cost £125 all they will pay is 50 because I did not pay extra for insurance I have spoken to one of their people who tell me it happens all the time whats the point in a tracking service if they cant track it I have since learnt it happens very often and they cant be trusted to keep your items safe at all

19lottie82 Fri 06-Feb-15 14:42:58

I am an ebay seller and used them to send 200 parcels. they lost 12 of them.

vinegarandbrownpaper Thu 05-Feb-15 20:48:33

Oh god. Instead of repeating the delivery as they were instructed, they sent the parcel to EE.. who sent it originally.. fucking hell. Who do they employ just thick twat lyers...??
So EEs solution is to... order another one and have the same duffers deliver it.. so guess what's going to happen... they refused to post it, me to pick it up, or me to pay for another firm to deliver, or for hermes to deliver to other firm to deliver to me, or deliver to the local EE shop. Jaw droppingly useless and so frustrating #shithowdocompanieslikethisstillexist

vinegarandbrownpaper Wed 04-Feb-15 09:09:11

Guess what. My parcel still hasn't arrived. Hermes/netlink = unrecommended

ShouldiWork Tue 03-Feb-15 13:58:40

Royal Mail, however, are a shower round our way. Shove card through door without ringing (in fact - I see them park & get out their van with the card pre filled - without even going through the motions of carrying the parcel up the drive). Also don't redeliver unless you proactively 'book' the redelivery.

ShouldiWork Tue 03-Feb-15 13:55:04

Our guy looks a state (ancient car, bleary eyed ) - but always gets the goods to us.

nauticant Tue 03-Feb-15 13:47:32

Two parcels I sent by Hermes last year were marked as "delivered" and the buyers got in touch to say they hadn't been. I chased up with Hermes and in one case Hermes said it had been delivered to the wrong address and they'd recovered it from there and then correctly delivered it (the buyer confirmed correct delivery) and in the other case Hermes were magically able to conjure up the delivered parcel and hand it over to the buyer.

Since the New Year I'd say 40% of my parcels are being left in porches. It must take the couriers a fair bit of time to build porches on hitherto unporched buildings.

Hermes are cheap enough that I'll use them. But they are crap and they do lie when they mess up.

vinegarandbrownpaper Tue 03-Feb-15 11:30:43

I can't help but imagine Hermes couriers with winged helmets. I wish I were CEO... Things would be different then...silver suits, ex military, gps live maps and sackings for lying! smile

vinegarandbrownpaper Tue 03-Feb-15 11:11:01

I am the only residential property in my street barring the rooms above the pub. Hermes are claiming that the guys in the house (no 'guys') said I didnt live there... <deep breath> 'BULLSHIT!!'

merrymouse Tue 03-Feb-15 10:31:01

I have watched a Hermes courier throw a delivery over my fence and leave without ringing the doorbell. Good thing the dog wasn't in the garden as he would have assumed somebody had thrown him a toy.

vinegarandbrownpaper Tue 03-Feb-15 10:26:40

Wish they'd used royal mail

vinegarandbrownpaper Tue 03-Feb-15 10:26:18

Shame as EE end has been completely spoilt by the delivery driver/company.

vinegarandbrownpaper Tue 03-Feb-15 10:25:31

Nothing wrong with the address. They have used this as an excuse twice but all checked. The courier hasn’t been near. Its just an excuse to bat away delayed delivery sadly.

stealthsquiggle Tue 03-Feb-15 09:13:58

Alabaster girl I have had 2 parcels (coming to me) disappear without trace in the last month. The retailers have re-shipped via Royal Mail in each case. Nothing wrong with the address.

alabastergirl Tue 03-Feb-15 09:11:14

Have you spoken to Hermes about it?

I would presume the address is incorrect - for them to hold 2 parcels and not deliver something has gone seriously wrong somewhere?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now