The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Selling old shoes to perverts on Ebay?

(102 Posts)
malfoy Tue 12-May-09 21:26:31
Pingpong Tue 12-May-09 21:43:25

stumbled upon this phenomenon last night and I'm still gob smacked really! Seems like easy money but a bit creepy at the same time. I would set up a separate account though as people searching for the things I sell would probably raise an eyebrow or two if they were scrolling through my items and found old scabby shoes 'well worn'. seems like you have to make the listing sound a bit sexy too.
Better than getting a tenner off at Brantano though !

malfoy Tue 12-May-09 21:47:45

I know. Part of me is going eeeew but then I think £141 for a pair of £20 shoes.

Agree re separate account.

Most scabby old shoes on sale don't sell though.

southeastastra Tue 12-May-09 21:50:34

i suppose it saves on the ethical disposing of old trainers problem

southeastastra Tue 12-May-09 21:51:34

save for free listing day grin

malfoy Tue 12-May-09 21:51:47

So is it all in the wording? Can't just go Malfoy's old shoes?

I came across something like this last year. On the listing I saw, the shoes were actually on feet, and oh the positions of the feet and legs in the pictures!

I found it because my spare tens pads, which I'd listed for 99p in case some pregnant woman would like them, were the subject of a bidding war and went for £8... to a buyer called stinkykinky.

So out of curiosity I checked his profile and feeback and was led to the well worn shoes thing through one of his transactions.

Best bit was though that stinkykinky's mailing address was a very sensible mans name c/o a branch of Barclays!

Oh yes ebay has opened my eyes I tell you grin

southeastastra Tue 12-May-09 21:55:08

first thing that hit me was the size, size 8s aren't that easy to get

er, thats TENS pads as in tens machine for pain releif and not a typo for TENA pads gringrin

cos you just don't know how your mn minds work now that we are on the subject of wierd and wonderful!

malfoy Tue 12-May-09 21:55:46

My DH used to work for Barclays.

Have any of you wondered if its a way of getting an intro between people into the same kind of thing?

Like shoe fetishists bid on these items and then meet up under cover of 'cash on collection' shock

Pingpong Tue 12-May-09 21:58:53

I've just looked at completed listings and it seem like a lot don't sell as TrillianAstra pointed out.
Let us know if you go for it malfoy I'm so intrigued by it all!
Private listing seems to be important and 'cleaning to ebay standard' whatever that means!?!?!
Also wondered if larger sizes were more popular?

Tinker Tue 12-May-09 22:00:41

Could just cut and paste wording of a successful one?

blueshoes Tue 12-May-09 22:04:31

If most well worn shoes don't get sold, why would the shoes Malfoy linked to get 17 and 33 bids? Very strange why buyers would go into a bidding frenzy for some shoes but completely cold shoulder others.

SEA size 8s are harder to get, you're right. I know cos I wear them.

<<<SGK goes off to charity shop tomorrow to look for old wore shoes in size 8>>>

I am a size 3 so guess men wouldn't want my old shoes lol

SpringySponge Tue 12-May-09 22:11:09

so do men want old manky sioze 8's?? i have loads!

Is it poss because blokes could cram their feet into a size 8 but not size 5s? (don't kill me size 8 girls!)
I once saw an eBay auction where a girl was selling photos of her feet for £10 each. But that's as nothing to the "adult nappies" I discovered when searching for reusable nappies (baby ones!)

AbricotsSecs Tue 12-May-09 22:14:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

luscious feet hmm

what's the deal with the: private?

SpringySponge Tue 12-May-09 22:17:39

I think it's private so people can't see who's bidding - you can see how much people bidded, but no ID.

FlappytheBat Tue 12-May-09 22:17:47

I am a size 8, on my feet for 12.5 hours at work, wonder how much money I would get for my work shoes grin

smackapacka Tue 12-May-09 22:17:58

Eugh - I know. I came across hypnosis CDs to make you wet the bed when looking for re-usable nappies. WHY? It's freaked me out ever since.

Still interested in stinky shoe selling though. I think the line about cleaning to ebay standards are just to comply with rules. No way is anyone cleaning them before they're 'scent' out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now