This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Should I agree to cancel a purchase and accept cash on pickup?

(9 Posts)
jaffajiffy Sun 06-Nov-16 12:27:17

Selling a juicer brand new in box and buyer is suggesting we do handover in person and then he will cancel the purchase. If I take a photo of him or something, is that going to help prove he received the item?

AveEldon Sun 06-Nov-16 12:32:45

Were you going to post it or is it listed as local collection?

CointreauVersial Sun 06-Nov-16 12:33:06

I don't recommend you do the transaction outside eBay.

Cash on collection is the right thing. If he claims not to have received it, there is no means of clawing back the money from you. Never accept Paypal on a collection-only item for that reason - you don't have any proof that it was received and the transaction can be reversed. No, a photo or signature is meaningless - only a tracked proof of delivery will be accepted as proof.

Shamalamalam Sun 06-Nov-16 12:34:14

Is he planning on paying cash when he picks up?

If so, that's fine.

Don't, whatever you do, let him pay with paypal and then pick up in person.

Toomanycats99 Sun 06-Nov-16 12:35:46

I bought something recently that was delivery by as it was local I just picked up and paid cash. No need to cancel eBay transaction.

HeavenlyEyes Sun 06-Nov-16 14:15:34

if you do cancel the eBay transaction you will save yourself 10% fees which is a bonus, but it is frowned upon as eBay are losing money and if reported you risk your account. Many people do it though to save money. Can't say I blame them.

jaffajiffy Sun 06-Nov-16 14:26:44

He will do cash on collection. I suppose that will be ok albeit with some risk. Thanks, all.

HeavenlyEyes Sun 06-Nov-16 18:25:20

yes it has to be cash on collection, no exceptions whatsoever - if you are worried then meet him at a cashpoint and watch him take the money out before handing the item over.

zombiesarecoming Sun 06-Nov-16 18:33:56

If it's cash when collected then no risk to you, if transaction is cancelled afterwards then even better as you save on ebay selling fees as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now