This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

PayPal E-cheques

(5 Posts)
SauvignonPlonker Tue 01-Nov-16 14:30:50

I've had a few buyers recently who have paid by PayPal E-cheque. Rather than the usual instant payment, these cheques take up to 5 working days to clear. And 1 bounced after that timescale, so no payment & re-listing.

Really frustrating. Can you agree your listings not to accept them? Or is there any other way of avoiding them?

19lottie82 Tue 01-Nov-16 15:13:31

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do, and you can't refuse not to accept them.

I find sometimes PayPal randomly use an echeque, even though a buyer has previously paid for transactions with their debit / credit card (instantly).

Because of this buyers aren't even aware of it and can get arsey when their item hasn't arrived free a week, so as soon as an echeque arrives I email the buyer and inform them that I can't post the item until the payment clears which usually takes 5-7 working days, but they will get a confirmation email as soon as it's dispatched.

I find echeques pretty rare these days, and if you've had a few in a short period of time, it's just bad luck.

SauvignonPlonker Fri 04-Nov-16 10:41:58

Still waiting on it to clear, from a transaction on 23rd Oct - really frustrating. Have emailed the buyer to say I'll despatch as soon as I receive payment.

I don't really understand the whole e-cheque thing, when paypal is supposed to be instant payment.

19lottie82 Fri 04-Nov-16 17:28:23

I think that PayPal do them randomly as a security precaution. I could be wrong though.

SauvignonPlonker Fri 04-Nov-16 19:14:36

Just had a notification to say it has finally cleared - 12 days after the auction ended. DP's transaction was cancelled as the cheque didn't clear, so it would seem they're not guaranteed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now