This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Best offers listing- do settlers expect the full price?

(11 Posts)
cavalo Fri 02-Sep-16 13:37:53

I'd just like a general view please.

I've made two "best offers" to two sellers this week. Seller 1 responded with a counter-offer. Seller 2 is asking £30 our best offer, I offer £25, seller declines but doesn't make a counter-offer or leave any message. Are they probably expecting the full £30, even though they listed it as best offers?
Confused. smile

19lottie82 Fri 02-Sep-16 15:02:55

A lot of listings have the best offer feature on as a default, so sellers don't even realise there offering that feature when they lost an item for sale.

nennyrainbow Fri 02-Sep-16 16:43:24

Maybe they've had several offers at around the price you offered so they're holding out for the full price since there appears to be lots of interest.

cavalo Fri 02-Sep-16 16:44:24

Thanks smile

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Sat 03-Sep-16 19:08:04

I would have done a counter offer of £27.50. What about messaging them to remind them they have it on best offer.

AppleJac Sat 03-Sep-16 19:09:34

In my experience they like you to offer a pound less than the buy it now price

nauticant Sun 04-Sep-16 09:12:24

For Best Offer (which I rarely use) I'm looking for about 90% of the asking price but then I'm often selling items at £100+ and they do sell at their asking prices. If I do use Best Offer it's because I want to move an item just a bit more quickly.

CodyKing Sun 04-Sep-16 09:17:47

Be aware that if they accept your offer - the item is deemed sold to you - and you have to pay.

So only offer what you think it's worth

LotisBlue Sun 04-Sep-16 09:17:58

It's only recently that eBay have started adding the 'best offer ' button by default, so I bet people don't realise it's on there. I normally add the best offer button if something hasn't sold after a few weeks

YellowDinosaur Sun 04-Sep-16 09:22:29

I've bought things on best offer for much less than the full price on a couple of occasions. I agree that it probably depends on how much interest there seems to be in an item. If it's been on for ages with very few watchers / offers they will be more likely to accept a low offer, whereas if it's only recently been listed and has had a lot of watchers / offers they may hold out for the full price.

verystressedmum Sun 04-Sep-16 22:55:33

I've listed items and didn't realise there was a best offer on it. Most of the time I accept if it's a decent enough offer.
But I do sometimes use best offer as I find it can sell faster, but I always price it higher so I can accept a lower offer and the buyer feels like they are getting a bargain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now