This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Too long ago for a refund? (Fake Ergo)

(19 Posts)
MacaroonMama Wed 31-Aug-16 19:21:05

Hi All,

I am crap at eBay and hardly ever use it, but about four years ago I tried it out to buy an Ergo sling for DS2 who was a Velcro baby.

It was a little bit cheaper than some other new ones (I think something like nearer £80 than £90?) but not enough to make me think it was a fake.

Since then, I have loved and used it loads, and baby DS3 now lives in it. But I have always felt it was not quite as 'proper' (just a feeling) as those of other people I know who have them. It seemed to have everything it should - then I read about the word stealth or warrior being embossed on buckles - and mine has nothing on. No words.

So it seems to be fake, a good fake, but I am worried about toxic dyes, stitching etc - does anyone know if it is too late to raise a complaint? I imagine yes it is, but really want another sling and cannot afford one otherwise, whereas a refund would pay.

I paid by postal order which I imagine makes it even harder! Though I still have the emails/eBay communication between the seller and myself.

Thanks for any help/advice.

AgentProvocateur Wed 31-Aug-16 19:24:14

You've "loved it and used it loads", so why does it matter that it's fake? And yes, four years is too long to ask for a refund. Can't believe you'd even think of it, TBH.

MacaroonMama Wed 31-Aug-16 19:53:37

Thanks for the reply Agent. I wanted a refund as bought a fake - and therefore not tested as being safe for babies - product, and paid pretty much full price for it, that's why. The stitching may not be adequate, the dye may be toxic (DS3 has started to suck the straps while DS2 didn't), it has sagged pretty badly and though I have used it and loved it loads (this is compared to the Baby Bjorn with DS1!), I need it to last out this baby, and it feels like it is knackered already. Tbh I think selling fakes for carrying babies in is pretty underhand. Just not very safe.

I suppose I also wondered if time applies when the product is not what was advertised/is a fake.

ShiroiKoibito Wed 31-Aug-16 19:58:51

4 years?? you cant claim a 'fake' after 4 sodding years!

OliviaBenson Wed 31-Aug-16 20:20:32

You can't be that worried about it's safety if you've used it for that long.

You are a chancer!

AppleMagic Wed 31-Aug-16 20:24:48

I bought mine from a registered stockist and I am almost certain that it doesn't have anything like that embossed on the buckles. Can you link to what you think it should have and I'll check when I get home?

judetherude Wed 31-Aug-16 20:29:47

Mine doesn't have anything embossed on the buckles.

OiWithThePoodlesAlready Wed 31-Aug-16 20:32:17

I thought you were going to say you'd had it a month. 4 years! grin

Possibly in that time they've changed the design so yours was made before the embossed buckles?

GoldPlatedBacon Wed 31-Aug-16 20:37:24

If you're worried about potential toxic dyes, why are you still using it? confused

verystressedmum Wed 31-Aug-16 20:39:42

confused

WatchingFromTheWings Wed 31-Aug-16 20:40:30

Bit late for a refund now. Even if you could prove it were fake you've happily used it for 3 kids over 4 years. hmm

MacaroonMama Wed 31-Aug-16 22:32:12

Oh blimey, am I really a chancer?!

Is it that weird to think people should be reported to eBay for selling fakes of baby products, where you do need them to be safe, and maybe hope to get money back? I didn't think so. Anyway, was just wondering what the policy was as am v inexperienced eBay user.

Am currently not using the sling which is a real nuisance as he is not a good sleeper in the buggy. So doing a lot of sitting still, feeding baby to sleep. Not practical. Genuinely can't afford a new sling at this time. Etc.

Apple sorry I can't link but thehumbledoula.wordpress.com has a good article on the differences between real and fake Ergos.

Thanks for all your thoughts. I still think a fake is a fake! wink

RainbowUnicornPoop Wed 31-Aug-16 22:33:22

4 years? Greedy git

19lottie82 Wed 31-Aug-16 22:35:21

No, it's not wierd to report fake items and expect a refund....... But to expect it after you've been using the said item for FOUR YEARS....... Yes, VERY wierd!

The longest you have to claim is 30 days via eBay or 180 days via PayPal.

Jizzomelette Wed 31-Aug-16 22:39:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MacaroonMama Wed 31-Aug-16 22:41:28

Ok, leaving thread now. Big difference between reaction here and with other sling-wearing friends in real life! Thanks for info from 19lottie82.

AppleMagic Wed 31-Aug-16 22:41:48

I don't think that blogpost you linked is up to date anymore. Ergo don't even use the same logo now. Neither of my Ergos (one bought from an authorised UK retailer in 2012 and a second hand US winter one) have that sort of buckle.

verystressedmum Wed 31-Aug-16 22:57:37

People in real life most likely won't say to your face what they are really thinking.
After 4 years of lots of use it is bound to be worn and saggy. This has most likely got nothing to do with being a fake.
It's too late to get a refund from the seller. Of course you can get a refund for fake goods but through eBay or Paypal but not after this length of time.

Even if you were in time you would probably have to prove that it is a fake, usually by verification by manufacturer. Sometimes ebayer sellers refund if accused of being fake without proof as it's easier/buyers give negative feedback etc.
But also just because you suspect it might be fake after all this time, doesn't mean that it is.

user1472811456 Fri 02-Sep-16 12:31:59

4 years is too long to ask for a refund. Yet, you have learn't a lesson from it that you need to check and research before buying anything. Don't worry as you have used it for sometime

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now