This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Sellers who do not live in location stated on ad

(4 Posts)
mmmuffins Mon 11-Jul-16 09:20:26

I have won a few ebay auctions recently for local childrens items in which the location is listed as my town, but when the auction ends and the seller sends me their address to collect in person it turns out they live in a surrounding village. I don't mind a car trip for special items, but for small items it is not worthwhile. Either way I'd like to know in advance.

I have never sold anything on Ebay so wondered if Ebay allows you to state villages on your ad? Or does Ebay automatically list the next large town or city when you enter a postcode? And how far is reasonable when they ask me to collect?

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Mon 11-Jul-16 09:23:01

Having the village name would be too identifying. I would suggest you send a question to the seller to confirm the location before bidding.

Alternatively if you find out it is too far once you've won then tell the seller and cancel the sale. But that's not great eBay etiquette.

BikeRunSki Mon 11-Jul-16 09:24:08

I live in a village about 9 miles outside a big town. eBay automatically lists my location as the town name based in my postcode.

When I sell things I put the location in my item description.

If I think I could potentially pick something up, I always send a message to the seller asking whereabouts the my are in town x.

mmmuffins Mon 11-Jul-16 10:14:56

Ok thanks, I will message all sellers going forward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now